Strange phenomenon - bibliolatry and depression

S

salamacum

Came across last week with another example of what I think of as fundamentalism.
Someone who has been a massive reader of evangelical books. He's subscribed to the evangelical library here in the UK.
Difficult to argue him out of anything.
I suppose i find it difficult to accept that he can dismiss N T Wright not on the grounds of the latters sitting loose to scripture, but the fact that there is so little historical material in his opinion for the professor to write his massive three volumes on the formation of early Christianity.
Anyway, I have a thread elsewhere on a single mother with a brood of kids, totally dependent on benefits. I asked this feller what the bible says about working with this person.
It came down to a contract of some sort with a commitment to changed behaviour on her part, monitored closely and the kids regularly coming to sunday school etc.
All very biblical and with lofty scriptural principles.
And yet.....
It won't work.
Why?
Because it's the kids, isn't it? She has us over a barrel for the kids. The kids are not well-fed. They are falling behind at school. They suffer continue low-grade neglect. But not enough to call in social services. She empties much of the food bank at church and people are still buying her fruit and veg ... because of the kids.
She'll refuse to be ... disciplined, monitored. She won't make the kids come to sunday school.
And we'll still finance the family looks like forever.

Upvote 0