keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
After 911 a major radio conglomerate banned over 150 songs. Some perhaps with good reason (for a while). Others were just absurd.

I think the most absurd is #151 Wipeout by The Surfaris. For those unfamiliar with the song, it opens with wild laughter followed by the word 'Wipeout'. After that it is pure instrumental!

What other songs on the list do people thing belong in the top 10 absurd selections?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After 911 a major radio conglomerate banned over 150 songs. Some perhaps with good reason (for a while). Others were just absurd.

I think the most absurd is #151 Wipeout by The Surfaris. For those unfamiliar with the song, it opens with wild laughter followed by the word 'Wipeout'. After that it is pure instrumental!

What other songs on the list do people thing belong in the top 10 absurd selections?

This is the first I’ve heard about songs being banned after 9-11.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The only song that I remember being banned from the radio was Louie Louie, by the Kingsmen. This dates back to the early 60s. The lyrics were supposedly obscene. Which they were not. The recording was of such poor quality that the vocal was nearly unintelligible. But it didn't stop some prudish listeners from thinking the song was lewd and unfit for airplay. Of course, that just made it more popular, and it became a top 10 hit. Give it a listen.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The op got me curious so I looked up banned songs in America. It has a long and strange history. I was really surprised by some of the songs they banned.
One favorite there is Lola by The Kinks.

Subject matter that many here would faint over. But what got the original banned was this line:

Where you drink champaign and it tastes just like Coca-cola!

Trademark infringement! I suspect that Coke did not care or even liked the free advertising, but if you do not defend a trademark you lose it and Coke has always had issues because of their huge market share. E.g. every cola drink gets called a coke.

The re-record has Cherry Cola. On YouTube you can find both versions.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Why wasn't The Macarena on that list? It should have been banned! :p

But seriously, I don't usually agree with banning songs outright. At least not for the typical reasons. I enjoy giving meanings to songs that I, the listener, choose to give them. Censors tend to be heavy-handed and overly literal. Often missing the artist's intended meaning entirely. The way I see it, one of the best aspects of music is creative listening. To hear it in a way that suits my narrative rather than what somebody else wants me to think of it.

When Blow Up the Outside World, by Soundgarden, was banned after 9/11 I immediately understood why. However, the way my mind interpreted the lyrics was metaphorical. To turn from the foolishness of the external, to not dispair over the violence we see in the news etc., and instead focus on what's positive and meaningful to me. In my head, the garbage that the world foists on us dissolved into nothingness as I said no to "the outside world" in favor of a more serene and productive state of mind.

The song reminded me of my relationship with God, which is perhaps ironic as Chris Cornell was an atheist, but God is where I turn in part because he sees beyond the facades and circumstances that we face in the outside world. He sees our potential and inherent value when others don't. At the end of the day what matters is between us and our creator (or the order of the universe if that's how you prefer to perceive things). As a young person who often felt underestimated, was tired of negativity and wanting better, with a mind of his own and an active imagination, it resonated with me. Although I don't listen to this one very often, my tastes in music are broad and it still holds up after all these years.

As far as absurd bans on that list go I'd put What A Wonderful World, by Louis Armstrong, would be near the top if not in the top 10. Perhaps it was banned because it was decidedly -not- wonderful to witness the events that unfolded on 9/11, but it's a hopeful and optimistic song with a vision of the future that we can strive for. Violence and other problems were a sad reality even when the song was written. If anything, it helps us remember what's good and possible despite the problems that plague humanity. More of an antidote to the negativity than problematic, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

fwiw, I'm not convinced of any truth in this story. IMHO, the article is suspect in paragraph one. It says, "The most popular song of the time was “Proud To Be An American” proud to be an American by Country Music singer, Lee Greenwood.."(sic)
Lee Greenwood's song that has the lyric, "I'm proud to be an American.." is actually titled God Bless the USA.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
fwiw, I'm not convinced of any truth in this story. IMHO, the article is suspect in paragraph one. It says, "The most popular song of the time was “Proud To Be An American” proud to be an American by Country Music singer, Lee Greenwood.."(sic)
Lee Greenwood's song that has the lyric, "I'm proud to be an American.." is actually titled God Bless the USA.
It was still pretty cringe in its overuse.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,033.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There's a rumor that it was banned in the American South, but whether it was ever officially banned anywhere, radio stations were extremely reluctant to play the Beach Boys song "God Only Knows", simply because it mentioned God.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Oh c'mon. You guys had a national anthem so cringy you had to delete most of it. ;)
It's probably not a good idea to write geographical borders into your national anthem when you have ambitions of empire. Either you conquer or you lose territory. Either way, the text goes obsolete.

But I guess that if the USA would want to choose a new national anthem, "God bless the USA" wouldn't be too far off the mark. Either that or the title song from "Team America: World Police", obviously.

• Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There's a rumor that it was banned in the American South, but whether it was ever officially banned anywhere, radio stations were extremely reluctant to play the Beach Boys song "God Only Knows", simply because it mentioned God.
They played it enough that it rose to #38 as a B side. The A side of the single was Wouldn't it be Nice, which I would have expected to have significantly more problems in the Puritanical South. But it peaked at #8.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,033.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
They played it enough that it rose to #38 as a B side. The A side of the single was Wouldn't it be Nice, which I would have expected to have significantly more problems in the Puritanical South. But it peaked at #8.
To me, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" sounds like a love song about "waiting until marriage". I'd think the South would approve.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,867.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
To me, "Wouldn't It Be Nice" sounds like a love song about "waiting until marriage". I'd think the South would approve.
I read the song the same way, but those who want to ban songs, books or films all too often look for the smallest thing to object to while ignoring the overall context. It even talks about getting married near the the end. But would be banners seem to stop listening once they find something to dislike.

It also seems to be a complaint not being able to marry because they are too young, I wonder how that would play out in the South.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,165,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The instrumental song Rumble by Link Wray released in 1958 was banned in some radio markets. For fear that the raw sound of the music would potentially inspire juvenile delinquency.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,033.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The instrumental song Rumble by Link Wray released in 1958 was banned in some radio markets. For fear that the raw sound of the music would potentially inspire juvenile delinquency.
Yes, I'd totally forgotten about that! Man, that's how you should get to be on the Mt. Rushmore of rock and roll - when your song doesn't even have words but people are just scared of your guitar sound. :D

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,033.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Sex Pistols song "God Save The Queen" was very banned in England in 1977, and a lot of major retailers refused to sell the record. Despite that, the song reached #2 on the official charts, although it's always been agreed that it actually reached #1, and there were some shenanigans to keep it out of the top slot.

Upvote 0