• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

HisPrincess710

Jan 15, 2017
United States
✟16,429.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I’m a Christian, but I feel as if I’m doing everything wrong. I was raised in a Christian family and have been a Christian for six years. But I’m pretty much convinced that the only difference between believers and non-believers is that we go to heaven when we die. In the end, all faith is is hellfire insurance. I used to pray to God almost every day. I did this for months. Now I rarely do it at all. Whether or not I pray, God is going to do what he wants. Life is going to happen.

I’ve observed that life is pretty much a game of “pick your poison.” Happiness never lasts, so why bother trying? In fact, ironically, trying to be happy is what causes a lot of people misery. I know some find comfort in knowing he knows their voice. I feel the opposite. Knowing he’s there and just does what he wants regardless of what I say.

For a example, for years I’ve had to deal with loneliness. No matter how much I’ve prayed or put myself out there, I haven’t had one close friend in years and have never been on one date. Just hoping hurts. It’s the crystal meth of emotions. Hooks you fast and kills you hard. And love? Love is a very nice thing but it can’t solve your problems. Besides, who really knows or cares what love is anymore? All love brings you is hurt, pain, and anguish.

Like I said, the only thing faith promises is a heavenly afterlife. As for life here, you’re on your own. The only thing we’re promised here is hardship. Any true and lasting relief only comes when you die. For now God’s only concerned with our souls. The only reason we’re still on earth is to make more converts. And if God does cause pain, I wouldn’t be surprised. Pain is often needed to help one grow. Besides, who am I to question him? I’m just a face in a sea of mortals. He’s the God of everything.

I’ve had my moments where I’ve been close to God. But they’ve been few and far between. I’ve tried a lot of things to grow as a Christian and to get out and make friends and maybe find that special person. But there comes a point when you have to leave behind your fairytale faith for the harsh grown-up faith. I grew up attending church and being taught about God. But I only accepted the faith in my senior year of high school.

Now I’m 24. Not much has changed. I’ve pretty much been stuck in the same life stage despite my attempts to move on. Everyone around me, meanwhile, is moving on. I don’t really know how much I’ve grown in my faith. But I’m tired of having to re-explain my faith to myself.

But who cares about emotions in the end anyway? All God really cares is that we do and say the right things and just do whatever he says. Life isn’t fair and neither is God. I’ll do whatever he wants me to do though. My hardworking parents have taught me that when there’s a job that needs to be done, it doesn’t matter whether or not I’m happy doing it. What matters is that the job gets done. If he wants me to be alone for the rest of my life, then fine. I won’t argue. I’ll mourn it and then move on.

When Jesus described a full life, he doesn’t mention being happy. In the 1 Corinthians 13, feelings are never mentioned when describing love. Besides, happiness is fleeting. Wanting to be happy is the cause for a lot of sin. Both good reasons to reject it. And the only “joy” I have is in knowing I’m going to heaven when I die. The deal is signed. My sin for his righteousness. Love is for children, I owe him a debt. Happiness is not a right and neither is my own life. In fact, according to God, I don’t have any rights. If God does have a plan for my life, I honestly can’t imagine it involving something I may like.

If anything, I’m expecting the opposite. And even if it may seem like I’ll like it, there has to be a catch. Nothing in life is free. And where does so-called joy fit in? Whenever my church puts on a fun event, it makes me want to say, “Shouldn’t we fast and give all this food to the poor?” Or, “Wouldn’t it be better to stay home and pray for our missionaries?” It’s either God’s happiness or mine. Can’t have both. Life isn’t about having “fun.”

Kids have always had to work hard like their parents. It’s only in the past few decades that that has changed. My grandma grew up during the Great Depression. She was the oldest and had literally a dozen brothers and sisters, whom she often had to watch. And she didn’t complain. Both my parents grew up in poor families. My dad started working when he was 14 years old. My mom learned early on how to sew her own clothes. My parents also were not concerned about whether or not my brother, sister, and I liked them. They were not our “buddies.” They loved us, but us liking them was not a concern to them. We were raised.

Don’t be sorry for me though. I was never abused in any way. I never had to worry about money or food. I was pretty spoiled compared to a lot of kids. And only in recent years have I realized that I deserve none of it. Like I said, the only reason I’m still breathing is because God is allowing me to live. I owe him everything. He owes me nothing.

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Asaph, one of the great hymn-writers of Israel wrote a song about a similar experience. This Psalm has been of great encouragement whenever I've been tempted to throw in the towel.

Psalms 73:

A psalm of Asaph.

1God is indeed good to Israel,

to the pure in heart.

2But as for me, my feet almost slipped;

my steps nearly went astray.

3For I envied the arrogant;

I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

4They have an easy time until they die,

and their bodies are well fed.

5They are not in trouble like others;

they are not afflicted like most people.

6Therefore, pride is their necklace,

and violence covers them like a garment.

7Their eyes bulge out from fatness;

the imaginations of their hearts run wild.

8They mock, and they speak maliciously;

they arrogantly threaten oppression.

9They set their mouths against heaven,

and their tongues strut across the earth.

10Therefore His people turn to them

and drink in their overflowing words.

11The wicked say, “How can God know?

Does the Most High know everything? ”

12Look at them — the wicked!

They are always at ease,

and they increase their wealth.

13Did I purify my heart

and wash my hands in innocence for nothing?

14For I am afflicted all day long

and punished every morning.

15If I had decided to say these things aloud,

I would have betrayed Your people.

16When I tried to understand all this,

it seemed hopeless,

17until I entered God’s sanctuary.

Then I understood their destiny.

18Indeed, You put them in slippery places;

You make them fall into ruin.

19How suddenly they become a desolation!

They come to an end, swept away by terrors.

20Like one waking from a dream,

Lord, when arising, You will despise their image.

21When I became embittered

and my innermost being was wounded,

22I was stupid and didn’t understand;

I was an unthinking animal toward You.

23Yet I am always with You;

You hold my right hand.

24You guide me with Your counsel,

and afterward You will take me up in glory.

25Who do I have in heaven but You?

And I desire nothing on earth but You.

26My flesh and my heart may fail,

but God is the strength of my heart,

my portion forever.

27Those far from You will certainly perish;

You destroy all who are unfaithful to You.

28But as for me, God’s presence is my good.

I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,

so I can tell about all You do.

Upvote 0

HisPrincess710

Jan 15, 2017
United States
✟16,429.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Asaph, one of the great hymn-writers of Israel wrote a song about a similar experience. This Psalm has been of great encouragement whenever I've been tempted to throw in the towel.

Psalms 73:

A psalm of Asaph.

1God is indeed good to Israel,

to the pure in heart.

2But as for me, my feet almost slipped;

my steps nearly went astray.

3For I envied the arrogant;

I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

4They have an easy time until they die,

and their bodies are well fed.

5They are not in trouble like others;

they are not afflicted like most people.

6Therefore, pride is their necklace,

and violence covers them like a garment.

7Their eyes bulge out from fatness;

the imaginations of their hearts run wild.

8They mock, and they speak maliciously;

they arrogantly threaten oppression.

9They set their mouths against heaven,

and their tongues strut across the earth.

10Therefore His people turn to them

and drink in their overflowing words.

11The wicked say, “How can God know?

Does the Most High know everything? ”

12Look at them — the wicked!

They are always at ease,

and they increase their wealth.

13Did I purify my heart

and wash my hands in innocence for nothing?

14For I am afflicted all day long

and punished every morning.

15If I had decided to say these things aloud,

I would have betrayed Your people.

16When I tried to understand all this,

it seemed hopeless,

17until I entered God’s sanctuary.

Then I understood their destiny.

18Indeed, You put them in slippery places;

You make them fall into ruin.

19How suddenly they become a desolation!

They come to an end, swept away by terrors.

20Like one waking from a dream,

Lord, when arising, You will despise their image.

21When I became embittered

and my innermost being was wounded,

22I was stupid and didn’t understand;

I was an unthinking animal toward You.

23Yet I am always with You;

You hold my right hand.

24You guide me with Your counsel,

and afterward You will take me up in glory.

25Who do I have in heaven but You?

And I desire nothing on earth but You.

26My flesh and my heart may fail,

but God is the strength of my heart,

my portion forever.

27Those far from You will certainly perish;

You destroy all who are unfaithful to You.

28But as for me, God’s presence is my good.

I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,

so I can tell about all You do.

Wish I could say the same. I don't get why people are so joyous about their faith. Unless perhaps they're viewing things as they wish they were rather than as they are.

The truth of the matter is, God is going to disappoint you. What he does will tend to hurt and bring pain. He will let bad things happen to you. He will let you down. Be prepared for when you most need help, because it's possible that it will not come, no matter how much you pray.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i believe our God is the crucified God not a just a God who does as He pleases. God takes everyone into account that is why He does as He does for He understands the situation perfectly well. Like you yourself have observed love hurts, God is love, God hurts the wrongs and evils ruling down here. Just as His Children suffer bad life down here, He does. No different apart of the He suffers ALL of bad life while we suffer only in part.

Where there is a major difference is how we can experience life when we are in His love and how we experience life when we are away from Him.

When we are close to God in our love relationship with Him then God's love grows in our hearts. Then we carry eternal life within us so to speak and His love produces good life wherever we go, be our life situation good or bad. For also when we go through bad life does His good life produce good life, that is the secret of knowing God, or being estranged from Him living outside of His love and suffer the wicked ruling destroying our good life.

So it depends which God you serve. If you serve a God who doesn't care and goes His own way why should He be upset or even care if you be the same? But if you serve a God intimate love then you know how wrong things are down here and suffer it along with Him growing stronger against bad life as this trial happens, just like He does.

Blessings considering that Jesus' life, death and resurrection down here reflects God the Father the very best. like Jesus said Himself, if you have seen Me then you have seen the Father. (John 14:7)

Knowing Jesus/God has been the very force that got me through suffering years of hardship making me stronger, humbling me, teaching me and guiding my heart, even as bad life trials me on a daily basis.

Peace.

Isaiah 53
Who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by mankind,
a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was punished.9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.

Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
After he has suffered,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.
Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
because he poured out his life unto death,
and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors.

Upvote 0

HisPrincess710

Jan 15, 2017
United States
✟16,429.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
i believe our God is the crucified God not a just a God who does as He pleases. God takes everyone into account that is why He does as He does for He understands the situation perfectly well. Like you yourself have observed love hurts, God is love, God hurts the wrongs and evils ruling down here. Just as His Children suffer bad life down here, He does. No different apart of the He suffers ALL of bad life while we suffer only in part.

Where there is a major difference is how we can experience life when we are in His love and how we experience life when we are away from Him.

When we are close to God in our love relationship with Him then God's love grows in our hearts. Then we carry eternal life within us so to speak and His love produces good life wherever we go, be our life situation good or bad. For also when we go through bad life does His good life produce good life, that is the secret of knowing God, or being estranged from Him living outside of His love and suffer the wicked ruling destroying our good life.

So it depends which God you serve. If you serve a God who doesn't care and goes His own way why should He be upset or even care if you be the same? But if you serve a God intimate love then you know how wrong things are down here and suffer it along with Him growing stronger against bad life as this trial happens, just like He does.

Blessings considering that Jesus' life, death and resurrection down here reflects God the Father the very best. like Jesus said Himself, if you have seen Me then you have seen the Father. (John 14:7)

Knowing Jesus/God has been the very force that got me through suffering years of hardship making me stronger, humbling me, teaching me and guiding my heart, even as bad life trials me on a daily basis.

Peace.

Isaiah 53
Who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
He grew up before him like a tender shoot,
and like a root out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.
He was despised and rejected by mankind,
a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.
Like one from whom people hide their faces
he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

Surely he took up our pain
and bore our suffering,
yet we considered him punished by God,
stricken by him, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was on him,
and by his wounds we are healed.
We all, like sheep, have gone astray,
each of us has turned to our own way;
and the Lord has laid on him
the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.
By oppression and judgment he was taken away.
Yet who of his generation protested?
For he was cut off from the land of the living;
for the transgression of my people he was punished.9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,
and with the rich in his death,
though he had done no violence,
nor was any deceit in his mouth.

Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the Lord makes his life an offering for sin,
he will see his offspring and prolong his days,
and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.
After he has suffered,
he will see the light of life and be satisfied;
by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,
and he will bear their iniquities.
Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,
and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
because he poured out his life unto death,
and was numbered with the transgressors.
For he bore the sin of many,
and made intercession for the transgressors.

Good for you. Others are not so resilient. There's only so much a person can take before they say, "I'm done." I don't think I could ever let go of my faith. But I only value it now as hellfire insurance.

God may love me, but that doesn't take away the pain of loneliness I live with every day. And I have no interest in things that are useless. If anything, it only makes it worse because despite immersing myself in my faith, nothing changed. It's simply better to just not expect anything from God. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Faith isn't supposed to make you happy anyway. It's supposed to make you want to be moral and do the right thing, even if (no, especially) if it you're never happy doing it. If my relationship with God is supposed to be like a marriage, then it's an arranged marriage. Marrying for love is one of the great plagues of the modern age.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good for you. Others are not so resilient. There's only so much a person can take before they say, "I'm done." I don't think I could ever let go of my faith. But I only value it now as hellfire insurance.

God may love me, but that doesn't take away the pain of loneliness I live with every day. And I have no interest in things that are useless. If anything, it only makes it worse because despite immersing myself in my faith, nothing changed. It's simply better to just not expect anything from God. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Faith isn't supposed to make you happy anyway. It's supposed to make you want to be moral and do the right thing, even if (no, especially) if it you're never happy doing it.

i feel kind of sorry for you that you have fallen so low in your opinion of God as your Saviour Father God, seeing Him merely as an life insurance while clearly you suffer bad life and could benefit heaps from His good life. Things could be a whole lot better i know to be true about knowing God.

Peace

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

HisPrincess710

Jan 15, 2017
United States
✟16,429.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I know I have a lot of things to deal with before I can even think about being emotionally healthy. But when you see people who slept around and people with obvious flaws getting married, it’s hard not to wonder if your efforts even matter in the end. I know there’s grace, but there are also natural consequences. And my parents taught me all my life to accept the consequences of my actions, and that no one can change me but myself.

No matter how much writers and authors and pastors may try to convince me, God may be God but he’s not another human being. Even Adam and Eve had each other before the fall. Instead of telling people to just be satisfied and content with God, why don’t we challenge them to put away their devices and close their social media accounts and go interact with real human beings?

I love my family, very much. I’m very blessed to have them. But you don’t choose your family. It’s one thing to be loved by someone just because they’re family. It’s another to be chosen out of everyone else. Which is why I don’t see anything unique about my relationship with God.

I’m glad he’s a loving and benevolent God, or seems to be. But when love like that is just available to everyone, we need to face the fact that it’s not special, unique, or sacred. In fact, it undermines the meaning of special. It’s a commodity. And the more of a commodity there is, the less valuable it is. For example, diamonds aren’t expensive because they’re rare. It’s because there are only a few companies who have a monopoly on them. If they didn’t, it doesn’t matter how beautiful these gems are. They’re worthless because there’s so much of them. Why should God loving me be so special when he loves everyone, which is literally billions of other people? It’s just not unique to me because he has that same relationship with the 1 to 2 billion other Christians on this planet. I’m the youngest of three and have had to share my parents with my siblings all my life. I still do. I want something that’s mine, and mine alone.

There can’t be special without unremarkable. There can’t be beautiful without ugly. There can’t be interesting without boring. There can’t be bravery without cowardice. And there can’t be good without evil.

I’ve heard it a lot that God giving us this need for intimacy is a gift, but for people like me, it’s a curse. I would rather feel nothing than feel alone and lonely, ignored and forgotten, invisible and overlooked, unwanted and undesired, all the time. If I could turn off that need, I would. But I can’t. I’m a human being so no matter how much that need hurts, I still keep trying to fill it. It’s like reverse psychology. And I don’t care if this is a fallen world. It’s just cruel. But apparently I’m the only one who’s willing to accept things as they are rather than how I want them to be in the name of “faith.” Life is not fair, no matter how much faith someone may have. Besides, I’m on the spectrum, so relationships in general are pretty hard to figure out.

Just the idea of having a relationship with God doesn’t make sense to me in that it doesn’t consist of what a lot of us consider to make up a close relationship. I know he loves me. But I can’t see, hear, or touch him. He can’t hold me when I’m crying, he can’t do fun things with me. He can’t help me do practical everyday things. A relationship with God does not fix the fact that you as a single person still have to get by and do a lot of things by yourself. Which is why it more often than not feels like a burden than a blessing. God alone cannot fulfill all your intimacy needs or provide you with an extra source of income if you lose your first. And I’m not talking about miraculous provision.

I do want to love God, but I’m not gonna put on a fake smile. I always feel like I’m not enough and too much. I’m too whiny, too self-centered, too stingy, too insecure, too needy, too lazy, too skinny, too angry at God, etc. I’m not pretty enough, I’m not girly enough, I’m not disciplined enough, I’m not spiritual enough, I’m not content enough, not generous enough, not mature enough, not grateful enough, etc. I don’t even know if I can think of one thing I like about myself.

Upvote 0

HisPrincess710

Jan 15, 2017
United States
✟16,429.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God never promised our lives would be easy.
He never promised you’d be happy.
He never promised that you’d find success at work or school.
He never promised you’d find a college or job after graduation.
He never promised you’d make the sale if you worked really hard.
He never promised your family would stick together.

Many people just assume they will enjoy success, health, and happiness. In fact, nobody looks forward to tough times or would willingly take a step down a painful road. But God can use all circumstances to train us—to discipline us—to make us better, to become more like him. Here’s what he HAS promised:

You will face discipline: "Endure trials for the sake of discipline. God is treating you as children; for what child is there whom a parent does not discipline?" (Hebrews 12:7, NRSV)

You will face difficulties: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33, NIV)

He knows the answer to the “whys” and knows what the end results will be: “He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Philip. 1:6, NIV)

God never promised life would be easy. But he did promise to discipline us, to refine us, to grow us in our faith. And while we don’t know what the end result looks like, we know God is ultimately good and has our best in mind. Do you want to know God’s will for your life? It's pretty simple. Jesus didn’t die to make you good, happy, or successful in this world. He died to make you more like him:

1 Thessalonians 4:3 “For this is the will of God, your sanctification” (NRSV)

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't get why people are so joyous about their faith.
I have found that those who are the most joyous are the ones who reached rock bottom.
They see where God took them from, a muddy snake infested hole, and brought them out into the kingdom of His Son.
Reading through your first post I couldn't help but be reminded of the Israelites right after God took them out of Egypt. They grumbled and complained saying that God didn't bring them to a land flowing with milk and honey but to a dry land that had no water or food.
They kept wishing they were back in Egypt where they sat by the fleshpots all day.
They never sat by the fleshpots, they were slaves in Egypt.

Start recognizing what God has done for you.
Don’t be sorry for me though. I was never abused in any way. I never had to worry about money or food. I was pretty spoiled compared to a lot of kids. And only in recent years have I realized that I deserve none of it. Like I said, the only reason I’m still breathing is because God is allowing me to live. I owe him everything. He owes me nothing.
Just looking at this, you have much to be thankful for.
You have had many blessings. Start naming them and it will surprise you what God has done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is very true that God didn't promise us an easy life, mine certainly hasn't been easy, however He does tell us that we will have a peace that is beyond understanding when we have found life in Him. This is how we may know that we know Him true.

It is about bringing our bad life to Jesus and let Him bring us our good life back in return. We can suffer and still love, we can be lonely and still be content, we can be hurting and still be thankful and joyous. He can do all these things He can give us perspective past our sufferings and make us better people through our sufferings, just as He did with Jesus.

As far as His promises are concerned they are best ever - a life in and with Him as God and Father.

Here an other example of someone who found in The Lord His Refuge from the troubles of this earthly life. i sincerely hope you will one day as well.

Blessings

Psalm 34
I will extol the Lord at all times;
his praise will always be on my lips.
I will glory in the Lord;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the Lord with me:
let us exalt his name together.

I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.

This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
he saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.

Taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.

Fear the Lord, you his holy people,
for those who fear him lack nothing.
The lions may grow weak and hungry,
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.
Come, my children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Whoever of you loves life
and desires to see many good days,
keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from telling lies.
Turn from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it.

The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous,
and his ears are attentive to their cry;
but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
to blot out their name from the earth.

The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

The righteous person may have many troubles,
but the Lord delivers him from them all;
he protects all his bones,
not one of them will be broken.

Evil will slay the wicked;
the foes of the righteous will be condemned.
The Lord will rescue his servants;
no one who takes refuge in him will be condemned.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m a Christian, but I feel as if I’m doing everything wrong. I was raised in a Christian family and have been a Christian for six years. But I’m pretty much convinced that the only difference between believers and non-believers is that we go to heaven when we die. In the end, all faith is is hellfire insurance. I used to pray to God almost every day. I did this for months. Now I rarely do it at all. Whether or not I pray, God is going to do what he wants. Life is going to happen.

I’ve observed that life is pretty much a game of “pick your poison.” Happiness never lasts, so why bother trying? In fact, ironically, trying to be happy is what causes a lot of people misery. I know some find comfort in knowing he knows their voice. I feel the opposite. Knowing he’s there and just does what he wants regardless of what I say.

For a example, for years I’ve had to deal with loneliness. No matter how much I’ve prayed or put myself out there, I haven’t had one close friend in years and have never been on one date. Just hoping hurts. It’s the crystal meth of emotions. Hooks you fast and kills you hard. And love? Love is a very nice thing but it can’t solve your problems. Besides, who really knows or cares what love is anymore? All love brings you is hurt, pain, and anguish.

Like I said, the only thing faith promises is a heavenly afterlife. As for life here, you’re on your own. The only thing we’re promised here is hardship. Any true and lasting relief only comes when you die. For now God’s only concerned with our souls. The only reason we’re still on earth is to make more converts. And if God does cause pain, I wouldn’t be surprised. Pain is often needed to help one grow. Besides, who am I to question him? I’m just a face in a sea of mortals. He’s the God of everything.

I’ve had my moments where I’ve been close to God. But they’ve been few and far between. I’ve tried a lot of things to grow as a Christian and to get out and make friends and maybe find that special person. But there comes a point when you have to leave behind your fairytale faith for the harsh grown-up faith. I grew up attending church and being taught about God. But I only accepted the faith in my senior year of high school.

Now I’m 24. Not much has changed. I’ve pretty much been stuck in the same life stage despite my attempts to move on. Everyone around me, meanwhile, is moving on. I don’t really know how much I’ve grown in my faith. But I’m tired of having to re-explain my faith to myself.

But who cares about emotions in the end anyway? All God really cares is that we do and say the right things and just do whatever he says. Life isn’t fair and neither is God. I’ll do whatever he wants me to do though. My hardworking parents have taught me that when there’s a job that needs to be done, it doesn’t matter whether or not I’m happy doing it. What matters is that the job gets done. If he wants me to be alone for the rest of my life, then fine. I won’t argue. I’ll mourn it and then move on.

When Jesus described a full life, he doesn’t mention being happy. In the 1 Corinthians 13, feelings are never mentioned when describing love. Besides, happiness is fleeting. Wanting to be happy is the cause for a lot of sin. Both good reasons to reject it. And the only “joy” I have is in knowing I’m going to heaven when I die. The deal is signed. My sin for his righteousness. Love is for children, I owe him a debt. Happiness is not a right and neither is my own life. In fact, according to God, I don’t have any rights. If God does have a plan for my life, I honestly can’t imagine it involving something I may like.

If anything, I’m expecting the opposite. And even if it may seem like I’ll like it, there has to be a catch. Nothing in life is free. And where does so-called joy fit in? Whenever my church puts on a fun event, it makes me want to say, “Shouldn’t we fast and give all this food to the poor?” Or, “Wouldn’t it be better to stay home and pray for our missionaries?” It’s either God’s happiness or mine. Can’t have both. Life isn’t about having “fun.”

Kids have always had to work hard like their parents. It’s only in the past few decades that that has changed. My grandma grew up during the Great Depression. She was the oldest and had literally a dozen brothers and sisters, whom she often had to watch. And she didn’t complain. Both my parents grew up in poor families. My dad started working when he was 14 years old. My mom learned early on how to sew her own clothes. My parents also were not concerned about whether or not my brother, sister, and I liked them. They were not our “buddies.” They loved us, but us liking them was not a concern to them. We were raised.

Your awesome! I didn't figure out that my life completely sucked until I was 29!

First, I had to understand "faith" as a verb--functionality, so that I could understand the noun. Once I understood the verb, I was able to understand faith as a noun of action.

"Faith" is no longer what I believe. It is what I know to be true. It is what I place my confidence in.

By the time I was 32, I was homeless! So, I gots me a crash course in knowing what to walk by faith, and not sight, means!

1 1/2 years later, I was still homeless but, my new word was now "hope"! Can you imagine me bragging about my hope in God's Faith as my faith was now God's word while being a homeless street urchin! Good times my friend! I was branded as a "sinner"!

1 1/2 years after that, things got really weird! A friend of mine took me off the streets of Southern California and into his house, a man I led to Jesus, he helped me get a job, clothing, etc.

Well, believe it or not, 9 months later I was living on the North Shore of Maui. Surfing in my backyard and fishing from my hammock! And, I was married! Holy crap! Way, way, beyond dreams but, what a sweet vindication of God's Faith and God's Hope!

10yrs later, I was a millionaire and spent the last 10yrs traveling the world!

I'm now back on Maui and back to work. Do it again Lord! Do it again!

What I learned is that God's Word is God's Faith. In that Word I find God's Hope for me as well as, His Love, His Righteousness and His Glory which I share with others. Man does that take the pressure off of me!

God's plan from the start was to glorify ME! Why, because if I look good to others then, God looks good to them and I became a witness of His Glory!

It started when my self directed life sucked. I went into the Kingdom as naked as a camel but, what God did after that is the stuff of legend.

You see, God, Who is Jesus, is the Shepherd, thee Alpha and the Omega! How in the world can we hope to compete with Him, how our life's should go, being just stupid sheep?

God made sure I was homeless for three years in HB CA because He wanted to build a life for me in Hawaii. Patients is required friend!

Reactions: Press On
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,549.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

It really doesn't matter what you believe. The truth about God's character and nature doesn't depend on your level of belief. God is the most caring, kind, joyful, and gentle Person you will ever meet. He does not change according to what you decide to believe about Him. Your lack of believe is a change that has happened in you, and not in God. Actually, in times like these, He is more faithful to you than you are to Him. The thing is that you need to align your belief to who God actually is, and not expect God to align Himself to the level of your belief. God is not a product of your belief. God is God. He stands alone, and is sovereign.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
you did a good job in pointing out some of the flaws in viewing God through the lens of jewish and roman legalism. duty is useful but go too far one way or the other and you will run into trouble.

virtue vice.png

I think that the souls individual identity and existing in darkness with a multiplicity of many somewhat alien others is one of the big problems in the world. there are great things in this world but it's still hard to shake the boredom and tragic elements of this world.

a weak kind of unity such as fear of punishment and the solution to accept the standard social requirement of confession of God to save ones skin is not a very good kind of spiritual cohesion nor is it a good fuel.

what is there to save if the soul and freedom does not matter? maybe Gods ego and glory is what he was trying to save. the way I see it... if he wants to commit adultery by not loving me then that is his problem and the only acceptable divorce is my complete annihilation.

what is life supposed to be about anyways? life is hard even when it's easy and this world is a difficult experience. even if we forget God and don't believe he is real we will still be left with our own freedom and our life in this world. welcome to existential angst/dread/anxiety fellow sufferer.

I know that God cares but that has not magically fixed everything. life feels like a blend of perfection and waste. things can get worse but they can also get better. thanks for sharing some of your life with us.

• Useful
Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know I have a lot of things to deal with before I can even think about being emotionally healthy. But when you see people who slept around and people with obvious flaws getting married, it’s hard not to wonder if your efforts even matter in the end. I know there’s grace, but there are also natural consequences. And my parents taught me all my life to accept the consequences of my actions, and that no one can change me but myself.

No matter how much writers and authors and pastors may try to convince me, God may be God but he’s not another human being. Even Adam and Eve had each other before the fall. Instead of telling people to just be satisfied and content with God, why don’t we challenge them to put away their devices and close their social media accounts and go interact with real human beings?

I love my family, very much. I’m very blessed to have them. But you don’t choose your family. It’s one thing to be loved by someone just because they’re family. It’s another to be chosen out of everyone else. Which is why I don’t see anything unique about my relationship with God.

I’m glad he’s a loving and benevolent God, or seems to be. But when love like that is just available to everyone, we need to face the fact that it’s not special, unique, or sacred. In fact, it undermines the meaning of special. It’s a commodity. And the more of a commodity there is, the less valuable it is. For example, diamonds aren’t expensive because they’re rare. It’s because there are only a few companies who have a monopoly on them. If they didn’t, it doesn’t matter how beautiful these gems are. They’re worthless because there’s so much of them. Why should God loving me be so special when he loves everyone, which is literally billions of other people? It’s just not unique to me because he has that same relationship with the 1 to 2 billion other Christians on this planet. I’m the youngest of three and have had to share my parents with my siblings all my life. I still do. I want something that’s mine, and mine alone.

There can’t be special without unremarkable. There can’t be beautiful without ugly. There can’t be interesting without boring. There can’t be bravery without cowardice. And there can’t be good without evil.

I’ve heard it a lot that God giving us this need for intimacy is a gift, but for people like me, it’s a curse. I would rather feel nothing than feel alone and lonely, ignored and forgotten, invisible and overlooked, unwanted and undesired, all the time. If I could turn off that need, I would. But I can’t. I’m a human being so no matter how much that need hurts, I still keep trying to fill it. It’s like reverse psychology. And I don’t care if this is a fallen world. It’s just cruel. But apparently I’m the only one who’s willing to accept things as they are rather than how I want them to be in the name of “faith.” Life is not fair, no matter how much faith someone may have. Besides, I’m on the spectrum, so relationships in general are pretty hard to figure out.

Just the idea of having a relationship with God doesn’t make sense to me in that it doesn’t consist of what a lot of us consider to make up a close relationship. I know he loves me. But I can’t see, hear, or touch him. He can’t hold me when I’m crying, he can’t do fun things with me. He can’t help me do practical everyday things. A relationship with God does not fix the fact that you as a single person still have to get by and do a lot of things by yourself. Which is why it more often than not feels like a burden than a blessing. God alone cannot fulfill all your intimacy needs or provide you with an extra source of income if you lose your first. And I’m not talking about miraculous provision.

I do want to love God, but I’m not gonna put on a fake smile. I always feel like I’m not enough and too much. I’m too whiny, too self-centered, too stingy, too insecure, too needy, too lazy, too skinny, too angry at God, etc. I’m not pretty enough, I’m not girly enough, I’m not disciplined enough, I’m not spiritual enough, I’m not content enough, not generous enough, not mature enough, not grateful enough, etc. I don’t even know if I can think of one thing I like about myself.

every soul is unique and priceless and each relationship with one another can't be duplicated. the closer we are to God the more we find ourselves. vulnerability is an important part of love. being in a relationship comes with many pros and cons just like being single does. I don't think that it's wrong to find God in someone else, in fact I think that is part of Gods plan.

we have to come to God in spirit and in truth. that means that we have a say in how things are. it is impossible to rid yourself of the medium called yourself and all of truth has to go through you in order to be understood. if we are Gods temple and made in his image then we are important enough to have a say as long as our hearts are pure and spiritual. if God lives in the innermost being of who we are then the realest and deepest and best parts of us are Gods very voice and very command.

that special and unique relationship that you described is a kind of love and all good things come from God. this world is not perfect but our very nature leaves us vulnerable. being weak is a blessing. sometimes our curses are our greatest strength. why be loved for having good qualities? it's better to be loved even though you are nothing. or else maybe they only love you because of some superficial quality that does not even give regard to the innermost core of yourself who is made in Gods image out of his love. if you see a helpless baby kitten or a puppy it's hard to not feel some kind of affection for them.

there are no final answers in this world. it lacks in many things and it's hard to make it perfect when perfection requires that each soul be such. everything that can't endure will be destroyed and anything good enough to remain in eternity shall remain. eventually everything will be okay and past everything we could hope or comprehend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tempura

Noob
Site Supporter
May 2, 2010
✟320,561.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I have found that those who are the most joyous are the ones who reached rock bottom.
They see where God took them from, a muddy snake infested hole, and brought them out into the kingdom of His Son.

Can confirm, was at rock bottom. Now I have hope, and I've learned to value giving far more than I ever did, instead of focusing on receiving. I have hope now, even though I have my weak moments, and love is more than a transaction.

• Agree
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It really doesn't matter what you believe. The truth about God's character and nature doesn't depend on your level of belief. God is the most caring, kind, joyful, and gentle Person you will ever meet. He does not change according to what you decide to believe about Him. Your lack of believe is a change that has happened in you, and not in God. Actually, in times like these, He is more faithful to you than you are to Him. The thing is that you need to align your belief to who God actually is, and not expect God to align Himself to the level of your belief. God is not a product of your belief. God is God. He stands alone, and is sovereign.
Sir! That is an awesome post! Not bad for a Penny :)

That's why I always say that it's God's faith(noun) that matters. And God's faith is His Word. We are called to TRUST in God's Faith and that trust should be are lifestyle and ever growing as we become more familiar with God's Faith His Word.

Like you said, "God is not a product of your belief".

Yet, when I talk to other Christians they always use the noun and the verb backwards and start talking to me about "believing". They communicate to me some sort of "blind faith" system. Yet, my faith is God's faith which is His Word and my life. It is a substance I can point to and is not blind!

It is a simple lifestyle(sometimes completely nuts!) because God makes all the decisions as long as I remain in followship mode and don't get sidetracked.

We are all called to understand what Paul and Timothy called the Corinthians to understand in 2 Cor 5, "We(Paul and Timothy) walk by faith(noun) and not by sight". Yet, their are many "blind leading the blind".

I wonder what would happen if I exposed the truth about Jesus' oft repeated words, "Believe in Me"? The truth is that, in the Greek, it is a plural present participle.

The present tense refers to continuous action in an ongoing linear present.

A participle is a verbal adjective used substantively(adjective used as a noun).

The plural is referring to more then one person.

I would correct the translation as: ones-keep-on-trusting in Me. Not a "one -shot" decision but, a lifestyle of trusting the Shepherd!

If anybody out there says to me, "that won't work!"

Well then, how many times have you tried it?!

They will also have to explain my promised beforehand "superabundant life"!

I tell you another secret: God has as many ways of supplying superabundance as there are people willing to follow every step along the way!

Psalm 119:105 105Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. (please read the entire Psalm)

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2011
✟9,451.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You have my complete unreserved sympathy. I'm pretty much in the same place, struggling to reconcile my Christian upbringing with real life faith, at the very bottom.
And if it doesn't work at the very bottom,it's not real. Maybe be grateful you have an education and empathy with the majority of the world who live in dire need and poverty, except yours is in the soul.

I wish I had an answer, and maybe that's all there is.

Upvote 0

Moises

Sep 6, 2012
NYC
Visit site
✟15,294.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You're so wrong. You have to have faith in order for miracles and/or God to work in your life. Also, not being grateful, defeat, inflaming God to work for you, all these things are things that will leave YOU weakened and depressed, and you might in the end become surrounded by evil spirits who will dwell in your misery and that negative energy that radiates from you.
You need to have faith, be more optimistic and grateful for everyday you live. It could be worse.

Upvote 0