Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"It's a symbol of the forced conversion that was done at the time," Bologna's chief rabbi Alberto Sermoneta said. "The spiritual leaders of that era breached human rights and the laws of nature by removing that child from his family. When I was a child at a Jewish school, we all studied the Mortara case. It is shocking."

Continued below.
Steven Spielberg movie to examine notorious Catholic kidnapping of Jewish boy

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Edgardo Mortara, a Jewish boy from Bologna, was secretly baptized by a maid when he fell ill and then forcibly removed from his family in 1858 at age 6 and raised as a Catholic with the blessing of Pope Pius IX.

Pio Nono (Pius IX) had other problems, too. Don't blame it on him.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
PLEASE, for the sake of those of us that ARE Catholic, can you please stop posting every anti-Catholic story you find on the web?
Since when is factual history of his kidnapping anti-Catholic? It's uncomfortable history.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PLEASE, for the sake of those of us that ARE Catholic, can you please stop posting every anti-Catholic story you find on the web?
This is not an anti-Catholic story. This is about a period in history involving the Church and it is going to be a movie.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Hollywood movies! They are misleading and corrupting the world, bit by bit.
I know that movies such as Spotlight and this one are uncomfortable, but the events aren't any less real by screaming that Hollywood is corrupting people - which it definitely is. I don't excuse Luther's hatred of the Jews or his viscous persecution of Anabaptists, and neither should you excuse this.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Since when is factual history of his kidnapping anti-Catholic? It's uncomfortable history.

yeah, I am glad we live in a country where the Government never decides to remove a child from his parents

oh wait, children are "kidnapped" by the State every day in the USA and put the social services system

sometimes children have to be removed from their parents
it is a sad situation but it does happen

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
This is not an anti-Catholic story.
Yeah and "All the President's Men" wasn't an anti-Nixon movie. cmon.........

Hollywood movies! They are misleading and corrupting the world, bit by bit.
I disagree. They are doing it in leaps and bounds. In fact, our society is so acclimated if not enslaved by it that they don't even try to hide it any more and nobody seems to really care; heck few even seem to notice.

Speilberg needs to retire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah and "All the President's Men" wasn't an anti-Nixon movie. cmon.........

I disagree. They are doing it in leaps and bounds. In fact, our society is so acclimated if not enslaved by it that they don't even try to hide it any more and nobody seems to really care; heck few even seem to notice.

Speilberg needs to retire.
I stand by what I said. It is not anti-Catholic. It is making a movie based on history and it happens to involve the Church. I suppose Spotlight was anti-Catholic too. It's anti-Catholic like making a documentary about the South makes one racist.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
yeah, I am glad we live in a country where the Government never decides to remove a child from his parents

oh wait, children are "kidnapped" by the State every day in the USA and put the social services system

sometimes children have to be removed from their parents
it is a sad situation but it does happen
"They do it too! "

You trying to be like the world?

You also don't see the difference between this case and crack head parents? I'm sorry...

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"They do it too! "

You trying to be like the world?

You also don't see the difference between this case and crack head parents? I'm sorry...

sometimes the State has to take a child away from their parents, it is sad, but it happens and it is needed

the child was sick and was baptized in an emergency situation, by the nurse
not an appropriate thing to happen, but it did happen

after that happened the State tried to make the best of a bad situation

Upvote 0

RKO

Oct 27, 2011
✟41,071.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm not certain of the implication I got from this post is intended or not. But rest assured that Michie is as Catholic as anybody here, and better at it than most. Ignoring the times and events in which the Church got it wrong doesn't make us a better Catholic. It makes us a more ignorant Catholic.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
here is something to think about

what rights does a Christian have?
Not to be forcefully converted to Islam and then kidnapped and placed in a Muslim family.

Too close to home?

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I stand by what I said. It is not anti-Catholic. It is making a movie based on history and it happens to involve the Church.
We'll agree to disagree. It's making a movie BECAUSE it involved the church. Despite boatloads more atrocities committed as bad and far worse than this, why aren't we seeing movies of a comparable volume (or even a modest %) of movies about bad things Muslims have done in the name of Islam? PS I'm not simply talking the easy low-hanging fruit like 9/11 and the like. There's plenty more where that came from by them, against people of all faiths (even other Muslims). In fact it virtually defines their history. And yet.....

It's anti-Catholic like making a documentary about the South makes one racist.
Sorry, invalid analogy. It's more like how you see movie after movie about white racism (Mississippi Burning, the list goes on and on), and top-dollar affairs with A-list stars too....but precious little showing and condemning the crimes committed by blacks, including oh btw racist ones (gasp! Blacks can be racist? You'll find many people insisting that's not even possible). On the contrary, when that territory is breached, you get the victim-of-their-upbringing bit (aka "The Whoopi Defense") and similar apologistic spin doctoring. No such excuses offered for whitey though.

Again it's glaring one-sided Hollywood bias. Sorry I'm just sick to death of it.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We'll agree to disagree. It's making a movie BECAUSE it involved the church. Despite boatloads more atrocities committed as bad and far worse than this, why aren't we seeing movies of a comparable volume (or even a modest %) of movies about bad things Muslims have done in the name of Islam? PS I'm not simply talking the easy low-hanging fruit like 9/11 and the like. There's plenty more where that came from by them, against people of all faiths (even other Muslims). In fact it virtually defines their history. And yet.....

Sorry, invalid analogy. It's more like how you see movie after movie about white racism (Mississippi Burning, the list goes on and on), and top-dollar affairs with A-list stars too....but precious little showing and condemning the crimes committed by blacks, including oh btw racist ones (gasp! Blacks can be racist? You'll find many people insisting that's not even possible). On the contrary, when that territory is breached, you get the victim-of-their-upbringing bit (aka "The Whoopi Defense") and similar apologistic spin doctoring. No such excuses offered for whitey though.

Again it's glaring one-sided Hollywood bias. Sorry I'm just sick to death of it.
Yeah we'll agree to disagree then. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: bill5
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My question is, why is Spielberg making this movie? What's his purpose? To inflame anti-Catholic or anti-Christian hatred amongst the secularati is the only thing I can come up with.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Speaking only for myself, I didn't know about this case. I find it, fascinating, bizarre, and shameful. Knowing about it now doesn't make me like or dislike the RCC any more or any less. I'll be seeing it for the historical factor. There are plenty of much more embarrassing and terrible things in the history of the RCC for the anti-Catholic people to choose from; I don't think this is going to sway many people one way or the other, to be honest. It would be like putting the final nail in the coffin of a drug dealer, murderer, burglar, rapist, sex offender etc over finding out that he also stole a pack of gum from a gas station. I'm not saying the Church is these things, but I am saying, to the anti-Catholics, the Church is already the boogeyman because of much worse things, and to the people who haven't given up on the criminal previously described, that pack of gum isn't going to be the final deciding factor.

• Agree
Upvote 0