treblebass

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
✟13,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
UM...I am REALLY surprised to have seen no posts on this...I thought I would ask everyones take on it...if you are in the field contact me, because it is a sister field of what I want to become...a chemist...or something..
Sorry! I meant to ask if Christians in general should support stem cell research, even when it could mean new medical breakthroughs-at the cost of humans "playing" God.:confused:

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2005
North Carolina
✟16,663.00
Faith
Christian
I have thought a lot about STem Cell Research. On one hand, is it playing God. ALthough on the other hand it could save so many lives. I am probably for Stem cell Research in the long run, but I also believe that there are designated times when people should die, but what if stem cell research could save that person and that person wasn't really supposed to die.

If you knew what I mean lol
I go back and forth on this belief a lot

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm interested! I think it's a good question.

Why do you think it's playing God to use stem cells?

I have no problem with stem cell research, and lots of problems with embryonic stem cell research. No amount of medical gain warrants killing the unborn. Besides, there are ways of using adult stem cells to do all the things that embryonic stem cells can do.

I have studied this at uni, so I've thought a lot about it.

Upvote 0
Sorry! I meant to ask if Christians in general should support stem cell research, even when it could mean new medical breakthroughs-at the cost of humans "playing" God.:confused:
So when a person goes for chemo-therapy. thats "playing God"?

When a person is busy bleeding to death and the doctor stops the bleeding, thats "playing God"?

When a person needs a heart transplant to survive, thats "playing God"?

What next? Putting a plaster on a paper cut?

Stem cells can and will contribute a LOT to humanity in the future to come, and might save many thousands of lives. That is of course, until some group gets it banned because its "Playing God".

Upvote 0

NotHardcore

makes the rockin' world go 'round
Sep 16, 2006
Long Island, NY
✟19,668.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I have no problem with stem cell research and no problem with embryonic stem cell research. Embryonic stem cells can turn into any cell, and I think they're a great advantage. God gave scientists the gift of knowledge. If God didn't want it to happen, He would make it so it did not work.

I know I'm more liberal than most of you...and I'm a person of science...hope you guys don't mind it too much:)

Upvote 0

treblebass

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
✟13,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So when a person goes for chemo-therapy. thats "playing God"?

When a person is busy bleeding to death and the doctor stops the bleeding, thats "playing God"?

When a person needs a heart transplant to survive, thats "playing God"?

What next? Putting a plaster on a paper cut?

Stem cells can and will contribute a LOT to humanity in the future to come, and might save many thousands of lives. That is of course, until some group gets it banned because its "Playing God".
ok,ok...let me rephrase my question...what do you think about EMBRYOTIC cell research(that is what I had in mind, however I wrote something else)

Upvote 0

treblebass

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
✟13,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have no problem with stem cell research and no problem with embryonic stem cell research. Embryonic stem cells can turn into any cell, and I think they're a great advantage. God gave scientists the gift of knowledge. If God didn't want it to happen, He would make it so it did not work.

I know I'm more liberal than most of you...and I'm a person of science...hope you guys don't mind it too much:)
you should see my ideas about the government

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveNeverEnds

Sep 21, 2006
✟7,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have no problem with stem cell research, and lots of problems with embryonic stem cell research. No amount of medical gain warrants killing the unborn.

I agree with Assisi. I have no problem with stem cell research but I am totally against killing an innocent baby for any reason.

I've heard that adult stem cells are more useful then embryonic ones anyway.

Upvote 0

colettelandry

Oct 3, 2006
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
There are some people who ARE very interested in ethical stem cell research.

They are trying to raise the profile of Adult Stem Cells already successfully traveling around in the blood streams of real, live people healing their bodies.

You can get an absolutely free report from
NeverGrowOld.org

What burns me up is when PBS makes some stupid statement like this one on made in June 2004 regarding successful treatments of all kinds of injury and disease with adult stem cell therapy:
"Despite the positive outcomes among human patients, tests on animals have produced only mixed results."

Dispite the positive outcomes among human patients!!?

Isn't that the whole point!!!!!!!!

That the lives of human patients be made better by circulating stem cells!

Adult stem cells work better in people, but Embryonic stem cells work better in test tubes and animals....what kind of an idiotic argument is that to destroy embryos?!

Don't get me started.

Upvote 0

meepmoopmeep

Oct 1, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
✟15,261.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are some people who ARE very interested in ethical stem cell research.

They are trying to raise the profile of Adult Stem Cells already successfully traveling around in the blood streams of real, live people healing their bodies.

You can get an absolutely free report from
NeverGrowOld.org

What burns me up is when PBS makes some stupid statement like this one on made in June 2004 regarding successful treatments of all kinds of injury and disease with adult stem cell therapy:
"Despite the positive outcomes among human patients, tests on animals have produced only mixed results."

Dispite the positive outcomes among human patients!!?

Isn't that the whole point!!!!!!!!

That the lives of human patients be made better by circulating stem cells!

Adult stem cells work better in people, but Embryonic stem cells work better in test tubes and animals....what kind of an idiotic argument is that to destroy embryos?!

Don't get me started.

yes, however the discovery of using adult stem cells revealed that it is very limited (cannot produce as many organs or human body parts) which only can be done with embryonic stem cells

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

colettelandry

Oct 3, 2006
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
yes, however the discovery of using adult stem cells revealed that it is very limited (cannot produce as many organs or human body parts) which only can be done with embryonic stem cells

With all due respect, I believe you are relying on old science. Discoveries within the last two years have proven that the stem cells released from your own bone marrow ...i.e. adult stem cells can travel to ANY damaged organ in your body, differentiate and become a healthy new replacement cell for virtually ANY human body part.

Embryonic stem cells ARE easier to transform in a test tube while adult stem cells transform EASILY within the body.

People are walking around today .... alive and healthy ...as a direct result of Adult Stem Cell therapy. NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON has ever been healed, helped or even treated with an embryonic stem cell.

What we are talking about here are researchers who don't work with adult cells only because it is tougher and more expensive to do so.

Conspiracy? Scientists who base their entire reputations on one view find it almost impossible to embrace the new discoveries of other scientist when those discoveries repute their own views.

Shame on them....and us, if we don't investigate all the facts for ourselves.

Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟18,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great post colettelandry. Adult stem cells are the only type that has actually shown any results, but embryonic stem cell research gets all the publicity.

Forget this "playing God" phrase- as someone pointed out, it can mean anything or nothing.

The issue at stake is whether it is right to kill one human being to experiment on, or maybe cure, another human being.

Our 2 year old was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. While not a terminal disease, it is incurable and can cause many scary complications. Suddenly this is personal- but we are not willing to cure her at the expense of another person.

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2005
North Carolina
✟16,663.00
Faith
Christian
I think the matter will always be personal to some. Over all these years, there will always be new cures. Stem Cell research is one of the biggest breakthroughs in this century. However, I don't think that they have advanced the development to do all they say it can. We are still a long ways away from curing paralysis, or even diabetes for that matter.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It does seem that "science" has decided that the use of embryonic stem cells from the fetus is the only acceptable type of stem cell research while ignoring the treatments now available from adult stem cells (treatments for 57 diseases, I think) and embryonic stem cells in placentas, umbilical cords and baby teeth.

How very unimaginitive and downright unscientific.

Upvote 0
H

HexenHammer

It does seem that "science" has decided that the use of embryonic stem cells from the fetus is the only acceptable type of stem cell research while ignoring the treatments now available from adult stem cells (treatments for 57 diseases, I think) and embryonic stem cells in placentas, umbilical cords and baby teeth.

How very unimaginitive and downright unscientific.
We should trust in God's will.

If he wants someione to hget sick, then they get sick. If he wants them to recover, they recover. I'm sure God is much happier looking after these things than he is with the idea of people murdering babies in the hope of changing the outcome of his devine will

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.