The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know of no Civil War statues north of the Mason-Dixon Line that specifically honor “brave northerners.”
I never said there was, but I'm sure there easily could be. My question remains, though. What is your answer?

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure. It will take a bit, as there is a lot of explaining to do.
Wouldn't the explanation be because they wanted to keep slavery, and that was the main reason they wanted to secede.
tulc(thinks that's fairly clear)

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wouldn't the explanation be because they wanted to keep slavery, and that was the main reason they wanted to secede.
Uh, no. I'm sorry for the confusion, I meant I would explain why it was not about slavery. But I will start a new thread on this subject so we won't be talking about this here, per archivist's request.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Are you saying Lincoln loaded the cannon? Gave the order to fire? I don’t think so. He sent a squadron to deliver supplies and troops to a Union fort. That isn’t manipulating anything.
Lincoln knew exactly what he was doing; he knew the south would take some action to prevent resupply of Fort Sumter which would have allowed Federal troops to remain there for an extended time. Major Anderson, commanding Fort Sumter, informed General Beauregard, commanding Confederate forces, that he had limited supplies and would soon have to abandon the fort. For someone who teaches history to grad students I am surprised at your response. Most historians would dispute your position.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I never said there was, but I'm sure there easily could be. My question remains, though. What is your answer?
Provide me with an example. I know of a statue of a brave southerner in DC, General Scott , but he fought for the north. There is a statue of another brave statue in NYC, Admiral Farragut, but he also fought for the north. Only northerner I know of who fought for the south was General Pemberton but he lost big time to Grant at Vicksburg so why would the both want to put up his statue?

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I want to discuss the OP. Why were brave southerners who fought for the Union not honored at Richmond, statues that were to honor brave southerners?
As I pointed out about the reason Benedict Arnold is not honored in the US....even though he was twice wounded in service to the colonies.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lincoln knew exactly what he was doing; he knew the south would take some action to prevent resupply of Fort Sumter which would have allowed Federal troops to remain there for an extended time. Major Anderson, commanding Fort Sumter, informed General Beauregard, commanding Confederate forces, that he had limited supplies and would soon have to abandon the fort. For someone who teaches history to grad students I am surprised at your response. Most historians would dispute your position.
If you have read the thread you know that Soldier of the Cross is going to start a tread on this. Stay on topic here.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As I pointed out about the reason Benedict Arnold is not honored in the US....even though he was twice wounded in service to the colonies.

Except the claim was made that the statues at Richmond honored brave southerners. Arnold fled the nation and moved to England. I don’t think the US put up statues honoring brave Englishmen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Provide me with an example. I know of a statue of a brave southerner in DC, General Scott , but he fought for the north. There is a statue of another brave statue in NYC, Admiral Farragut, but he also fought for the north. Only northerner I know of who fought for the south was General Pemberton but he lost big time to Grant at Vicksburg so why would the both want to put up his statue?
Quit dancing around the point and just answer the question. I am not saying this is the case, my question is merely hypothetical.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I know of no Civil War statues north of the Mason-Dixon Line that specifically honor “brave northerners.”
Well, on national battlefields where most of the statues are located, there exists a rule of not honoring individual soldiers but rather the units they fought in. Now in Columbus Ohio on the statehouse lawn there are statues honoring Garfield, Grant, and others so I don't see how your statement holds water....do you?
That's fine. I will start a new thread later about why the civil war was not about slavery.
Link me into it please.....love CW debates.....

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Quit dancing around the point and just answer the question. I am not saying this is the case, my question is merely hypothetical.
I can’t answer the question without an example. I need something to base my answer on. I’m not “dancing around the point.”

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually no. Lincoln himself stated he had no authority to interfere in slavery where it existed. His desire was to prevent its spread in the recently acquired territories of the southwest....that is what the south objected to.....

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, on national battlefields where most of the statues are located, there exists a rule of not honoring individual soldiers but rather the units they fought in. Now in Columbus Ohio on the statehouse lawn there are statues honoring Garfield, Grant, and others so I don't see how your statement holds water....do you?
Unlike Richmond I don’t know that Ohio said that they were putting up statues of brave northerners.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Except the claim was made that the statues at Richmond honored brave southerners.
Well, I don't know about how brave they were but since they are not on national battlefields the locality has the option of honoring whomever they want. Drive through the many small county seats in Ohio and surrounding the courthouses will almost always be statues honoring CW outfits and (usually) senior officers.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Unlike Richmond I don’t know that Ohio said that they were putting up statues of brave northerners.
Ah, so they must have been putting up statues of cowardly northerners? Your illogical statements are making serious responses difficult.

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,227,037.00
Country
United States