State of Origin

Tavita

beside quiet waters He restores my soul..
Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
Okay, here I am a 57 year old female who isn't particularly interested in Rugby League... well, not enough to watch it every week, but I love to watch Origin.

What is it that makes it so different from the normal club games? I keep hearing that it's a different game that needs different coaching.

Mind filling this Nan in??

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's in the promos - 'mate against mate', and 'state against state'.

Queensland were smart, they spotted two talented young New South Welshmen - Inglis and Folau and brought them to Queensland so that they might qualify for Queensland

And that kind of loyalty to their state is shown as both seek to leave the code for $$$$ Well done Queensland!

And as for the NSW coach, he was picked because of his 'success' with Melbourne - which we now know was based on a team that cheats. That's ignoring his pioneering work he did in unsportsman-like tactics such as the crusher tackle, the grapple tackle, and the chicken-wing.

And now NSW is paying for this too, with 3 straight series losses

Well done NSW!

Upvote 0

Tavita

Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
It's in the promos - 'mate against mate', and 'state against state'.

Queensland were smart, they spotted two talented young New South Welshmen - Inglis and Folau and brought them to Queensland so that they might qualify for Queensland

And that kind of loyalty to their state is shown as both seek to leave the code for $$$$ Well done Queensland!

And as for the NSW coach, he was picked because of his 'success' with Melbourne - which we now know was based on a team that cheats. That's ignoring his pioneering work he did in unsportsman-like tactics such as the crusher tackle, the grapple tackle, and the chicken-wing.

And now NSW is paying for this too, with 3 straight series losses

Well done NSW!

Oh I see! I was under the impression that it was 'played' a different way and so therefore coached a different way.

Upvote 0

Tavita

Sep 20, 2004
Singleton NSW
✟7,551.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
AU-Liberals
State of Origin History
Might be helpful :)
If I got the right link :D

Thanks Stormboy!

I was in Brisbane in 1980 and was at either the first or second game... I don't have much of a memory of it... not being sold out to the game like my eldest daughter..lol

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Oh I see! I was under the impression that it was 'played' a different way and so therefore coached a different way.

It's believed to have more intensity.

And it's believed that on-field incidents are less likely to lead to send-offs

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
meh.

Give me tiddlywinks and ladies mud and jelly wrestling any day. Far more interesting than a bunch of adulterers, thugs and rapists kicking a dead pig's bladder around a field.

Aside from targeting Christianity, Australia, the law, and now football, what other groups would you like to have a go at?

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, here I am a 57 year old female who isn't particularly interested in Rugby League... well, not enough to watch it every week, but I love to watch Origin.

What is it that makes it so different from the normal club games? I keep hearing that it's a different game that needs different coaching.

it is also coached differently in that you have skilled players unlike in normal club games where some are highly talented and some are just average. So the big challenge in origin is getting them to work as a team and motivated. Mal Meninga does a wonderful job in this regards for Qld. He was not a good club coach in my opinion and probably never will be. That is why the Qld assistant coach under Mal has always been someone with strength in skills. NSW had the best of both I believe while Phil Gould was coach. He knows his footy and he is known for getting the best out of players. I just wish sometimes he would shut his mout hand not say stupid things but if there was a law against that I'd have to do far less talking too I guess!

In club teams you have newer players who lack experience and need help. They need to be taught skills rather than mainly being pumped up.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And as for the NSW coach, he was picked because of his 'success' with Melbourne - which we now know was based on a team that cheats.
Do you have any proof of this? By proof I want concrete evidence that the players would have left the storm if they had not received those extras. It is not always about who offers the most money.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
meh.

Give me tiddlywinks and ladies mud and jelly wrestling any day. Far more interesting than a bunch of adulterers, thugs and rapists kicking a dead pig's bladder around a field.
yeah I'm sure that just because you don't read about it happening elsewhere in the newspaper it must not be happening! open your eyes and take a look at the world and see it is no different. League just has a far larger spotlight on it than other sports.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Do you have any proof of this? By proof I want concrete evidence that the players would have left the storm if they had not received those extras. It is not always about who offers the most money.

They were penalised for being a team of cheats. ^_^

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They were penalised for being a team of cheats. ^_^
yeah but you have NOT provided proof that had the storm kept under the salary cap that the players would have left. untill you can do that you have no grounds for your statement. Remember those players were not known before going to the storm. The storm helped make them what they are. That often forms a strong bond and reluctance to separate can result. So the players may not have left. So did you have any proof or are you just making assumptions?

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
yeah but you have NOT provided proof that had the storm kept under the salary cap that the players would have left. until you can do that you have no grounds for your statement.
My statement is that they are a team of cheats.
This is what I said, and what you're arguing against...
And as for the NSW coach, he was picked because of his 'success' with Melbourne - which we now know was based on a team that cheats.

They were penalised for this.

That's a fact.

Whether they would have stayed together and accepted a reduction in their salary is not only speculation, but irrelevant. They were caught cheating.

Remember those players were not known before going to the storm. The storm helped make them what they are. That often forms a strong bond and reluctance to separate can result. So the players may not have left. So did you have any proof or are you just making assumptions?

As noted it doesn't affect that they're a team that cheated.

If I caught you stealing money and you decided to pay it back, it wouldn't negate that you stole money.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

All you need to know is NSW suck

Upvote 0