St. Euphrosynos Taverna and Ouzeri (another one!)

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What’s everyone doing today/these days? I wish I had something interesting to write, but it’s still mostly work and studying.

I moved the rest of my post to a thread since it developed into a topic. But mostly just want to get involved here again. I find I don’t have answers to anyone’s questions though, don’t want to debate, and don’t have time to get deeply philosophical so while I read over threads I don’t have much to say. :p

I did carve out time to start swimming, since (at least for now) I can leave work early enough it’s still light, and it’s been hot. I forgot how nice it is to relax a bit!

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm finishing my dissertation on the architectural implications of the cult of the saints, with particular focus on the shrine of St William of York (he died in 1154, so no need to get excited from an Orthodox perspective, but his shrine is a parallel to that at nearby Beverley Minster. St John of Beverley (formerly archbishop of York) died in 721, and was formally canonised in 1037. The site of his tomb is frequented by Orthodox pilgrims to this day)

I am learning so much while I study this topic, but as is the case with anything academic, the more you know the more more you realise you don't know.

Oh, fun thing about St William of York, the descriptions of the state of his myrrh streaming corpse, and various miracles, suggests that grace wasn't entirely removed from Britain following the Norman occupation and the breach of ecclesial communion in the greater church. Though, St William did become quite politically expedient as it allowed York to claim a saintly cult which could rival that of St Thomas Becket at Canterbury. History tells that the cult at York was never as successful as expected by those who financed it.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
oh, I must add (though I am sure it is clear to many) that when I say 'cult', I mean it in the historic sense of the cultivation of saintly devotional practice, from the Latin 'cultus'

wiktionary:

Etymology​

From French culte, from Latin cultus (“care, adoration; cult”), from colō (“cultivate; protect”).

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm busy trying to finish my Bachelor's Degree before I leave the military. Yes, they will pay the tuition until I am six months out, but at least after that I can still take advantage of the military tuition rate!
I did meet a good Orthodox girl some months ago and that has been going well.

Reactions: gzt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm busy trying to finish my Bachelor's Degree before I leave the military. Yes, they will pay the tuition until I am six months out, but at least after that I can still take advantage of the military tuition rate!
oh my, may God have mercy on your soul!

Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
oh my, may God have mercy on your soul!
Thanks! ^_^

The nice thing is that the university I am going through accepted a lot of transfer credits and has a new semester starting every month which makes things flexible. I'm in two classes now that finish at the end of September, I'll start a new one in September, start two in October (which will finish in December) then I start the last two in January and SHOULD graduate by March; one month before I'm out.
Yeah, it's a bit hectic at times

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well, you know, the college, I trust you to get through that just fine, but the girl thing, that's where we all really need the grace of God (abundantly), we all need an entire butter mountain to smooth things over.

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well, you know, the college, I trust you to get through that just fine, but the girl thing, that's where we all really need the grace of God (abundantly), we all need an entire butter mountain to smooth things over.
Agreed 1000 times over. She's a very sweet one and I feel truly blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
hopped into the choir at a parish because I knew the choir director and most of the music he uses (sung under him before, stolen a lot of his music), but he was out today and we started off with pretty much no other basses, so, LOL, holding it down, and chose some pieces I'm not familiar with and I haven't been choiring much in the last three years, so it was a little :| but I think it went okay, hopefully not many people were listening to the broadcast. I don't like being the only bass because I really don't have good control below A, though I think I've aged into having about another full step down in my range, I just haven't worked on it...

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah I thought I replied to the posts here but it looks like I only read them. Have had a hard time following through on things not work-related.

I wanted to offer congratulations on meeting the young lady!!!

And good luck on finishing up school before your separation from the service. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: E.C.
Upvote 0