St. Euphrosynos Taverna and Ouzeri (another one!)

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just had a moment to pop in. I’m FINALLY finished with grad school so hoping I’ll have time for a life again. I was just looking for names I recognized and decided the new Taverna was the perfect place to say hello again so …

Hello again!!!! I’ve missed this place and all of you!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
welcome back! what did you study again, if I may ask?
Behavior analysis, which is conferred (at my school) as a masters in special education. Funny because the undergrad courses are med school. They don’t know where to put us.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
welcome back! what did you study again, if I may ask?
I still have a secret desire to get a doctorate in counseling from an Orthodox program. But I need to rest for a good long while before I revisit that decision!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Behavior analysis, which is conferred (at my school) as a masters in special education. Funny because the undergrad courses are med school. They don’t know where to put us.
nice!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I still have a secret desire to get a doctorate in counseling from an Orthodox program. But I need to rest for a good long while before I revisit that decision!
not sure we have these aside maybe from the DMin degrees at SVOTS or PTS.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
not sure we have these aside maybe from the DMin degrees at SVOTS or PTS.
I’m not sure exactly what it was. I remember someone talking about it. The problem too is that it wasn’t a virtual class at all so I’d have to move up there and/or maintain two places to live.

I’m not at all sure about doing it.

One of my professors was talking to me about getting a doctorate in behavior analysis. I’m just not sure I’m up for that much more school. I’d have to take it more slowly than these past few years. I’m feeling too old for all this.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I’m not sure exactly what it was. I remember someone talking about it. The problem too is that it wasn’t a virtual class at all so I’d have to move up there and/or maintain two places to live.

I’m not at all sure about doing it.
both SVOTS and PTS DMins are hybrid, so it’s distance learning with 2 week intensives in house. and an American DMin is like a creatine induced master’s degree, as the focus is on praxis.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
both SVOTS and PTS DMins are hybrid, so it’s distance learning with 2 week intensives in house. and an American DMin is like a creatine induced master’s degree, as the focus is on praxis.
Thank you, that’s potentially much more doable. I hadn’t realized that (and it may have changed since I initially wondered? Much more of education is online now post-Covid, it seems).

I’m telling myself I still need a rest before looking into it. And probably ultimately some more soul-searching too. I thank you for the info.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, that’s potentially much more doable. I hadn’t realized that (and it may have changed since I initially wondered? Much more of education is online now post-Covid, it seems).

I’m telling myself I still need a rest before looking into it. And probably ultimately some more soul-searching too. I thank you for the info.
no problem!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
and AHOS has a fully accredited hybrid PhD program as well.
Thank you.

This is my first weekend in 3 years. I’ve taken a rare day (Christmas, July 4) completely off. I guess I’m not used to it. I’ll probably go ahead and start studying for board exams and my mind is already thinking of what kinds of considerations matter if I were to pursue such a thing.

I guess one of the real considerations is the role that fulfills. People should go to their priests first of course. A spiritual father or mother should probably direct on many ills of the soul. I’m not quite sure of the role of a professional to serve beyond those. I thought of counseling in general years ago, but after reading Orthodox perspectives, I think a lot of what people suffer has really a spiritual problem at the root - or maybe it’s better to say that having one’s spiritual life in order would probably prevent the need for professional help.

So I’m not sure what the legitimate role (if there is one) would be. Though I’ve heard from Orthodox counselors who say there is. I’d like to get the perspective of some priests too, as they would be really front line, I would think?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you.

This is my first weekend in 3 years. I’ve taken a rare day (Christmas, July 4) completely off. I guess I’m not used to it. I’ll probably go ahead and start studying for board exams and my mind is already thinking of what kinds of considerations matter if I were to pursue such a thing.

I guess one of the real considerations is the role that fulfills. People should go to their priests first of course. A spiritual father or mother should probably direct on many ills of the soul. I’m not quite sure of the role of a professional to serve beyond those. I thought of counseling in general years ago, but after reading Orthodox perspectives, I think a lot of what people suffer has really a spiritual problem at the root - or maybe it’s better to say that having one’s spiritual life in order would probably prevent the need for professional help.

So I’m not sure what the legitimate role (if there is one) would be. Though I’ve heard from Orthodox counselors who say there is. I’d like to get the perspective of some priests too, as they would be really front line, I would think?
well, counseling is the way our secular society deals with behavioral issues, so it’s where people are looking. so, to have a hook in that field would be good to offer the real healing of the Church.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
well, counseling is the way our secular society deals with behavioral issues, so it’s where people are looking. so, to have a hook in that field would be good to offer the real healing of the Church.
I like that thought. It’s where I was when I first considered it a few years ago. So for someone who isn’t going to ask a priest, it might be ok? I just think in no way should it replace spiritual guidance, I suppose. Which means too I need to learn the landscape of “faith-based counseling” since it might not make sense to be specifically Orthodox (at least in terms of listing oneself) in that case.

A lot to consider.

I’m getting older. Ultimately in my current field, I’d most prefer to work toward a model teaching PARENTS how to help their autistic children (it’s very legitimate and what insurance prefers as well as producing better outcomes and keeping families together). I need something not too strenuous and working with autistic kids can be. I’ve always thought about pure counseling too. Covid also opened up a very wide availability through telehealth, so I don’t have to limit myself based on local needs.

Sorry, thinking out loud a bit. I’m going to finish yesterday’s session notes then enjoy a bit of the outdoors for the first time in a long time, if I can do it without baking myself.

Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So for someone who isn’t going to ask a priest, it might be ok?
yeah. many would be more inclined to ask a counselor or therapist or whatever. so an Orthodox therapist might be able to get them to talk to a priest while still talking to the therapist.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I like that thought. It’s where I was when I first considered it a few years ago. So for someone who isn’t going to ask a priest, it might be ok? I just think in no way should it replace spiritual guidance, I suppose. Which means too I need to learn the landscape of “faith-based counseling” since it might not make sense to be specifically Orthodox (at least in terms of listing oneself) in that case.

A lot to consider.

I’m getting older. Ultimately in my current field, I’d most prefer to work toward a model teaching PARENTS how to help their autistic children (it’s very legitimate and what insurance prefers as well as producing better outcomes and keeping families together). I need something not too strenuous and working with autistic kids can be. I’ve always thought about pure counseling too. Covid also opened up a very wide availability through telehealth, so I don’t have to limit myself based on local needs.

Sorry, thinking out loud a bit. I’m going to finish yesterday’s session notes then enjoy a bit of the outdoors for the first time in a long time, if I can do it without baking myself.

Thanks so much for your input! I really appreciate it!
also, if you are working with mental/behavioral health, you can register on the Assembly of bishops site for their mental health directory. that way you can link up with other Orthodox who are navigating those same waters. plus there is OCAMPR.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
also, if you are working with mental/behavioral health, you can register on the Assembly of bishops site for their mental health directory. that way you can link up with other Orthodox who are navigating those same waters. plus there is OCAMPR.
Thanks VERY much. I didn’t know about that. I’ll check into it. I work in (technically) behavioral health care right now.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks VERY much. I didn’t know about that. I’ll check into it. I work in (technically) behavioral health care right now.
cool, it might help you network in your field as well.

Upvote 0