St. Euphrosynos Taverna and Ouzeri 44 (5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Small rant.

So, I'm 25 today. Yes, I was born Christmas day and every year I'm amazed at how few remember. I remember a great majority of my friends' birthdays and yet the number of people outside the family who remember gets smaller and smaller. This year? Two.

Merry Christmas! Christ is born! :)

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Awwww

<hugs >

EC - I didn't know - but I understand your feelings on the subject. I have a cousin who was born on Boxing Day - and she suffers like you - and even some of the family forget her.

Happy Birthday and may you enjoy many many more of them

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Small rant.

So, I'm 25 today. Yes, I was born Christmas day and every year I'm amazed at how few remember. I remember a great majority of my friends' birthdays and yet the number of people outside the family who remember gets smaller and smaller. This year? Two.

well, many (belated) years and merry Christmas! Christ is born!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Small rant.

Merry Christmas! Glorify Him!

And happy belated birthday. I'm sorry to hear about that. I had a grandmother whose birthday was on Christmas.

And I know a bit how you feel. My birthday is on Jan 2. Too close to Christmas, and coming the day after New Year's, it's usually the day for going back to school, going back to work, getting back to "normal" life after a long holiday season of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. No one ever wants to be bothered with yet another "event" on that day, lol. I have had I think two birthday parties my entire life. Some dates are unfortunate. I would think yours would be easy to remember though!

Reflecting on it, maybe even more ironic. I don't know if I get St. Anastasia for a name day or not, but they said I was named for the Anastasis, and it was a Pascha name. So I guess my name day similarly falls on a major event. ;)

I'm happy about that though. They couldn't have known how pleased I'd be by that name. :)

Happy belated birthday again though - and Many Years!!!

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,527.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Small rant.

Birthdays are ego-centric anyway ;) you should focus all your efforts on getting people to remember your saint's name day, then you can slowly bring them around to a more Christocentric life :)

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Aww... Thanks everyone! Normally I don't care about birthdays until it is forgotten :( But it's been fun :)

Birthdays are ego-centric anyway ;) you should focus all your efforts on getting people to remember your saint's name day, then you can slowly bring them around to a more Christocentric life :)
I considered that for a while until I realized that I should bring myself to a more Christocentric life before bringing others to it :preach:

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sigh ... One more reason I like TAW better than Facebook.

I was just told by an Igumen that I have a "cold, bitter, hardened heart".

Perhaps I am not communicating effectively. But I surely don't seem to fit in with many who identify as Orthodox on Facebook. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sigh ... One more reason I like TAW better than Facebook.

I was just told by an Igumen that I have a "cold, bitter, hardened heart".

Perhaps I am not communicating effectively. But I surely don't seem to fit in with many who identify as Orthodox on Facebook. :(

gotta love the inadvertent missread. been there many a time meself, on both sides.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I mean, as long as you stay out of those "traditionalist" groups, it's not so bad. Of course, I don't do the "group" thing at all.

I think I don't really spend enough time there to have a good handle on who is who. I know a handful of folks well enough, but I usually approve friend requests, and they are 99% Orthodox who contact via friends-of-friends. Lots are self-identified as clergy and monastics. I get added to groups - not sure what kind all of them are. I usually just comment here and there on what interests me.

But I find some really radical folks who are very caught up in very narrow practices sometimes.

Everyone not baptized Orthodox is going to hell, and so are people who attend Churches with pews and women who don't wear head coverings (pews and head covering here lol). That sort of stuff.

That sort make me nervous, and I only seem to encounter them on Facebook. And it's very often in groups, yes.

I have a few folks from here on my list, a few good people I've met there, and one Abba in particular who posts the most wonderful things. :) Enough to keep me coming back. I need to make the time to identify who's who and edit my friends list, I guess.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I mean, as long as you stay out of those "traditionalist" groups, it's not so bad. Of course, I don't do the "group" thing at all.

or one of those "ask an Orthodox....." those are dicey too as you may see

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
or one of those "ask an Orthodox....." those are dicey too as you

Now I know I was added to several of those. When I first joined FB and was trying to put together a prayer rule. A nice enough lady there added me to all of those groups, asked my question for me, and I was given some information with the intent that I was to carry out several full services a day.

I would love to have access to the hymnology for every day for Matins, Vespers, etc. There's a tremendous amount of teaching in there I am sure, and I'd LOVE to read them. But if I tried to start off with several hours-long prayer services as a catechumen every day ... Well, that would been disastrous in so many ways - not the least of which would be my husband probably thinking he'd need to forcibly remove me from the Church!

I'm glad I generally stick to my news feed, and there are a couple of Churches and ministries and the dear Abba whose pages I check sometimes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I only see the "Ask an Orthodox..." when people I know comment on them, and so I only see their responses, which are of course reasonable! But, yes, I can imagine those groups are probably bad.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Now I know I was added to several of those. When I first joined FB and was trying to put together a prayer rule. A nice enough lady there added me to all of those groups, asked my question for me, and I was given some information with the intent that I was to carry out several full services a day.

I would love to have access to the hymnology for every day for Matins, Vespers, etc. There's a tremendous amount of teaching in there I am sure, and I'd LOVE to read them. But if I tried to start off with several hours-long prayer services as a catechumen every day ... Well, that would been disastrous in so many ways - not the least of which would be my husband probably thinking he'd need to forcibly remove me from the Church!

I'm glad I generally stick to my news feed, and there are a couple of Churches and ministries and the dear Abba whose pages I check sometimes.

just keep a sharp eye for those groups that say ask an Orthodox monk, and non monastics answer, or ask an Orthodox priest and people who are not ordained answer. I am on them, and I used to post there, but now I read the threads of those who are actually being asked.

Upvote 0

Dylan Michael

Senior Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Central Florida
✟14,992.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Happy New Year, everyone!

2015 already ... Seriously?

Since I don't write checks anymore, it seems it takes me a longer time to get used to putting a new date on things.

I know. Didn't 2014 start just last week?

I'm still writing 2012 on stuff.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.