Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Theres been an interesting longitudinal study conducted by a few of Australia's universities. This video summarises the preliminary results. It highlights that my generation is becoming increasing spiritual. It believes that a mix of religions in Australia is a positive thing.

But my generation does not like hard line fundamentalist religious doctrine. My generation is very much against the mixing of religion and government/public office. It sees that religion can be a practice of intolerance.

See what you think

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But my generation does not like hard line fundamentalist religious doctrine

But does it like the truth?

There is so much 'spin' about that the truth is rejected because it isn't as comfortable as a lie.

If Jesus is the only way to God, that isn't dogma but reality.

Can you face reality.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
But does it like the truth?

There is so much 'spin' about that the truth is rejected because it isn't as comfortable as a lie.

If Jesus is the only way to God, that isn't dogma but reality.

Can you face reality.
I think the point is, Gen Z is accepting of a wide variety of religions....increasingly being atheist. Its not keen on hard-line conservative religious paradigms.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In another thread, there is belief that the christian religion should be a dominant influence in politics and government to the point where biblical law would be imposed. The thread can be found at
Lets vote for the Bible to be our form of government- #vote for God and was started by @createdtoworship .

Its a very dangerous notion thats proposed and one that our generation needs to be aware of - that is, some factions in older generations would see a theocracy introduced - particularly in the USA. While I doubt that would happen, its effect certainly influences individual laws.

Some of the notions pushed are:
That it should be illegal to follow any religion other than Christianity, including atheism, punishable by law.

That the sabbath would be enforced and anyone working on that day could be punished by law.

Religious holidays would be strictly Christian and elements like Xmas trees banned and punished .

The ten commandments would be legally enforced - think about it - You have a messed up set of parents who can have you whipped because you didn't respect them.

Plus the usuals - being gay would be punishable and as for sex outside of marriage - forget about it.

So - we al think the Handmaidens tale was JUST a story - But there are people here who would see a theocracy enforced and it should be our generation that's vigilant to stop this menace.

Already in my country there is a push to amend Equal Opportunity laws to allow even greater exceptions for religion. Already is you work for a religious school, you can be sacked or prevented from employment on the basis of gender, religious conviction, and pregnancy.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In another thread, there is belief that the christian religion should be a dominant influence in politics and government to the point where biblical law would be imposed. The thread can be found at
Lets vote for the Bible to be our form of government- #vote for God and was started by @createdtoworship .

Its a very dangerous notion thats proposed and one that our generation needs to be aware of - that is, some factions in older generations would see a theocracy introduced - particularly in the USA. While I doubt that would happen, its effect certainly influences individual laws.

That it should be illegal to follow any religion other than Christianity, including atheism, punishable by law.

That the sabbath would be enforced and anyone working on that day could be punished by law.

Religious holidays would be strictly Christian and elements like Xmas trees banned and punished .

The ten commandments would be legally enforced - think about it - You have a messed up set of parents who can have you whipped because you didn't respect them.

Plus the usuals - being gay would be punishable and as for sex outside of marriage - forget about it.

So - we al think the Handmaidens tale was JUST a story - But there are people here who would see a theocracy enforced and it should be our generation that's vigilant to stop this menace.

Already in my country there is a push to amend Equal Opportunity laws to allow even greater exceptions for religion. Already is you work for a religious school, you can be sacked or prevented from employment on the basis of gender, religious conviction, and pregnancy.
yes it's called dominionism, it's been around for decades. They are in the cracks all over washington DC, but it hasn't picked up yet. I would like to see that changed. Visit my thread for more talk about this.

anyway I recommend a book called "the family" by Jeff Scarlett, it is a good introduction to this, although it's a bit lightweight for what I am looking for.....here is the introduction:

"
THIS IS A story about two great spheres of belief, religion and politics, and the ways in which they are bound together by the mythologies of America. America—not the legal entity of the United States but the idea with which Europe clothed a continent that it believed naked and wild—America has been infused with religion since the day in 1630 when the Puritan John Winthrop, preparing to cross the Atlantic to found the Massachusetts Bay Colony, declared the New World the city upon a hill spoken of by Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew. Three hundred and fifty-nine years later, Ronald Reagan, during the last days of his presidency, would see in Washington’s traffic jams that same vision, like a double exposure: “a tall proud city, built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed.” In his farewell address he’d call it a shining city upon a hill. This is a story about that imaginary place, so real in the minds of those for whom religion, politics, and the mythologies of America are one singular story, and how that vision has shaped America’s projection of power onto the rest of the world.

My “brothers” were members of a very peculiar group of believers, not representative of the majority of Christians but of an avant-garde of the social movement I call American fundamentalism, a movement that recasts theology in the language of empire. Avant-garde is a term usually reserved for innovators, artists who live strange and dangerous lives and translate their strange and dangerous thoughts into pictures or poetry or fantastical buildings. The term has a political ancestry as well: Lenin used it to describe the elite cadres he believed could spark a revolution. It is in this sense that the men to whom my brothers apprenticed themselves, a seventy-year-old self-described “invisible” network of followers of Christ in government, business, and the military, use the term avant-garde. They call themselves “the Family,” or “The Fellowship,” and they consider themselves a “core” of men responsible for changing the world. “Hitler, Lenin, and many others understood the power of a small core of people,” instructs a document given to an inner circle, explaining the scope, if not the ideological particulars, of the ambition members of this avant-garde are to cultivate.1 Or, as a former Ivanwald brother who’d used his Ivanwald connections to find a foothold in the insurance industry told my brothers and me during a seminar on “biblical capitalism,” “Look at it like this: take a bunch of sticks, light each one of ’em on fire. Separate, they go out. Put ’em together, though, and light the bundle. Now you’re ready to burn.”

Hitler, to the Family, is no more real than Attila the Hun as drafted by business gurus who promise unstoppable “leadership” techniques drawn from history’s killers; or for that matter Christ, himself, as rendered in a business best seller called Jesus, CEO. The Family’s avant-garde is not composed of neo-Nazis, or crypto-Nazis, or fascists by any traditional definition; they are fundamentalists, and in this still-secular age, fundamentalism is a religion of both affluence and revolution.

“Fundamentalist” is itself a relatively recent and much-contested word, coined early in the last century by a conservative Baptist who wanted to clear away the confusion about what Christians, by his lights, were supposed to stand for.2 What they stood for, in fact, was confusing. One of the biggest surprises to be found in “The Fundamentals,” a series of dense pamphlets published between 1910 and 1915, is the argument that evolution is reconcilable with a literal reading of scripture. Much has changed since then; such is the evolution of American fundamentalism. Imagine it traveling a path twisted like that of a Möbius strip, the visual paradox made popular in M. C. Escher’s optical illusions, from liberation to authoritarianism. American fundamentalism’s original sentiments were as radically democratic in theory as they have become repressive in practice, its dream not that of Christian theocracy but of a return to the first century of Christ worship, before there was a thing called Christianity. The “age of miracles,” when church was no more than a word for the great fellowship—the profound friendship—of believers, when Christ’s testament really was new, revelation was unburdened by history, and believers were martyrs or martyrs-to-be, pure and beautiful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the point is, Gen Z is accepting of a wide variety of religions....increasingly being atheist. Its not keen on hard-line conservative religious paradigms.

Instead they will believe the nonsense that the multiple god's of Hinduism is the same as the no God of Buddhism and the extreme monotheism of Islam.

Where is the rationality in believing those three are the same?

More to the point are they prepared to look for the truth and to react when they find t.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Instead they will believe the nonsense that the multiple god's of Hinduism is the same as the no God of Buddhism and the extreme monotheism of Islam.

Where is the rationality in believing those three are the same?

More to the point are they prepared to look for the truth and to react when they find t.
Because THAT'S their religion. What's so hard to understand about that. Surely you understand that religious belief has very little about the philosophy, and everything to do with your culture and place of birth. Haven't you ever wondered why it is that if you live in Indonesia or Yemen, God seems to be Allah? If you live in India then God is Bramha and his manifestations of Siva and Ganesh etc. If you live in the USA then you believe God is Jehovah and his manifestations of Jesus and Holy Spirit. If you live in Israel then you will believe in the same God as the Christians and Moslems, but not the manifestations of the prophet Mahommed or the God manifestation of Jesus.

The truth is simply a reflection of where you are born. The truth you believe is part of your culture.

Gen Z is moving away from all that. And BTW - are you 23 or under?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
yes it's called dominionism, it's been around for decades. They are in the cracks all over washington DC, but it hasn't picked up yet. I would like to see that changed. Visit my thread for more talk about this.

anyway I recommend a book called "the family" by Jeff Scarlett, it is a good introduction to this, although it's a bit lightweight for what I am looking for.....here is the introduction:

"
THIS IS A story about two great spheres of belief, religion and politics, and the ways in which they are bound together by the mythologies of America. America—not the legal entity of the United States but the idea with which Europe clothed a continent that it believed naked and wild—America has been infused with religion since the day in 1630 when the Puritan John Winthrop, preparing to cross the Atlantic to found the Massachusetts Bay Colony, declared the New World the city upon a hill spoken of by Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew. Three hundred and fifty-nine years later, Ronald Reagan, during the last days of his presidency, would see in Washington’s traffic jams that same vision, like a double exposure: “a tall proud city, built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed.” In his farewell address he’d call it a shining city upon a hill. This is a story about that imaginary place, so real in the minds of those for whom religion, politics, and the mythologies of America are one singular story, and how that vision has shaped America’s projection of power onto the rest of the world.

My “brothers” were members of a very peculiar group of believers, not representative of the majority of Christians but of an avant-garde of the social movement I call American fundamentalism, a movement that recasts theology in the language of empire. Avant-garde is a term usually reserved for innovators, artists who live strange and dangerous lives and translate their strange and dangerous thoughts into pictures or poetry or fantastical buildings. The term has a political ancestry as well: Lenin used it to describe the elite cadres he believed could spark a revolution. It is in this sense that the men to whom my brothers apprenticed themselves, a seventy-year-old self-described “invisible” network of followers of Christ in government, business, and the military, use the term avant-garde. They call themselves “the Family,” or “The Fellowship,” and they consider themselves a “core” of men responsible for changing the world. “Hitler, Lenin, and many others understood the power of a small core of people,” instructs a document given to an inner circle, explaining the scope, if not the ideological particulars, of the ambition members of this avant-garde are to cultivate.1 Or, as a former Ivanwald brother who’d used his Ivanwald connections to find a foothold in the insurance industry told my brothers and me during a seminar on “biblical capitalism,” “Look at it like this: take a bunch of sticks, light each one of ’em on fire. Separate, they go out. Put ’em together, though, and light the bundle. Now you’re ready to burn.”

Hitler, to the Family, is no more real than Attila the Hun as drafted by business gurus who promise unstoppable “leadership” techniques drawn from history’s killers; or for that matter Christ, himself, as rendered in a business best seller called Jesus, CEO. The Family’s avant-garde is not composed of neo-Nazis, or crypto-Nazis, or fascists by any traditional definition; they are fundamentalists, and in this still-secular age, fundamentalism is a religion of both affluence and revolution.

“Fundamentalist” is itself a relatively recent and much-contested word, coined early in the last century by a conservative Baptist who wanted to clear away the confusion about what Christians, by his lights, were supposed to stand for.2 What they stood for, in fact, was confusing. One of the biggest surprises to be found in “The Fundamentals,” a series of dense pamphlets published between 1910 and 1915, is the argument that evolution is reconcilable with a literal reading of scripture. Much has changed since then; such is the evolution of American fundamentalism. Imagine it traveling a path twisted like that of a Möbius strip, the visual paradox made popular in M. C. Escher’s optical illusions, from liberation to authoritarianism. American fundamentalism’s original sentiments were as radically democratic in theory as they have become repressive in practice, its dream not that of Christian theocracy but of a return to the first century of Christ worship, before there was a thing called Christianity. The “age of miracles,” when church was no more than a word for the great fellowship—the profound friendship—of believers, when Christ’s testament really was new, revelation was unburdened by history, and believers were martyrs or martyrs-to-be, pure and beautiful.
Gosh - thats scary thinking and its good Gen Z is pushing back such thoughts

• Agree
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I would not do the parental whippings, now that is just silly, but the rest of it....yeah it would be law. Lets debate it.... so it's ok for God to command you repent of sin and believe in Him, YET it is tyrannical for a country to say in order to be a good standing citizen, you can't go against the commandments? You know, things like....don't kill, don't steal....honor your parents, don't kill them either.....Honor God. It's theologically accurate for God to do so for heaven, but for us to do the same, we are tyrants?

anyway I would love to talk to any of ya'll out at my thread: ( I am too old to post in this thread)
Lets vote for the Bible to be our form of government- #vote for God

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because THAT'S their religion. What's so hard to understand about that. Surely you understand that religious belief has very little about the philosophy, and everything to do with your culture and place of birth. Haven't you ever wondered why it is that if you live in Indonesia or Yemen, God seems to be Allah? If you live in India then God is Bramha and his manifestations of Siva and Ganesh etc. If you live in the USA then you believe God is Jehovah and his manifestations of Jesus and Holy Spirit. If you live in Israel then you will believe in the same God as the Christians and Moslems, but not the manifestations of the prophet Mahommed or the God manifestation of Jesus.

The truth is simply a reflection of where you are born. The truth you believe is part of your culture.

Gen Z is moving away from all that. And BTW - are you 23 or under?

Religion has everything to do with the truth and with reality.
If what one believes is false then they face the problem of confronting what they rejected in life and the consequences .

No one can complain that God is not just, they are fre to find him or not.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Theres been an interesting longitudinal study conducted by a few of Australia's universities. This video summarises the preliminary results. It highlights that my generation is becoming increasing spiritual. It believes that a mix of religions in Australia is a positive thing.

But my generation does not like hard line fundamentalist religious doctrine. My generation is very much against the mixing of religion and government/public office. It sees that religion can be a practice of intolerance.

See what you think
one last video....in your OP the man mentions conversion therapy in a negative light, however lobbyists are pushing to get it relegalized....

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
one last video....in your OP the man mentions conversion therapy in a negative light, however lobbyists are pushing to get it relegalized....

There's good reason why they are considered to be quackery and harmful.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Religion has everything to do with the truth and with reality.
If what one believes is false then they face the problem of confronting what they rejected in life and the consequences .

No one can complain that God is not just, they are fre to find him or not.
What you say is truth, another religion will say is a lie and blasphemy. The Abrahamic religions are the worst for this ie Christians, Jews and Islam. All worshipping the same God but running around poking each other in the eye. Even within Christianity, Christians are ready to kill one another because they believe their version of truth is the right one.

Gen Z is increasingly saying - its all nonsense. We are still interested in spiritual matters. Just not the blind rhetoric thrown around by people saying only their version of religion knows the truth.

The fact is - NOONE KNOWS

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's good reason why they are considered to be quackery and harmful.
I cannot post here this is my last post, but ad hominems, and abusive ad hominems are logical fallacies and are not the most loving way to interact with people we disagree with, anyway take care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I would not do the parental whippings, now that is just silly, but the rest of it....yeah it would be law. Lets debate it.... so it's ok for God to command you repent of sin and believe in Him, YET it is tyrannical for a country to say in order to be a good standing citizen, you can't go against the commandments? You know, things like....don't kill, don't steal....honor your parents, don't kill them either.....Honor God. It's theologically accurate for God to do so for heaven, but for us to do the same, we are tyrants?

anyway I would love to talk to any of ya'll out at my thread: ( I am too old to post in this thread)
Lets vote for the Bible to be our form of government- #vote for God
So if the bible is law:
I'm presuming you would support stoning for adultery
Child marriages
If someone broke the Sabbath - what's your recommended punishment
Is someone chose to be Moslem or atheist - what punishment would you support
Under bible law I'm assuming women would answer to men. Would women not be able to be in positions of leadership in your world view.

I hope you understand why Zoomers think that's just simply unacceptable

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I cannot post here this is my last post, but ad hominems, and abusive ad hominems are logical fallacies and are not the most loving way to interact with people we disagree with, anyway take care.
Nor Can I post where you ran your thread. There's nothing abusive or ad hominems about Gen Z's warranted fear. You want a select group to impose YOUR brand of biblical views and enforce it in law. You would not permit any other belief.

Such a world view would require heavy policing and to get to the point of starting would virtually require a coup. This is exactly what "The hand Maidens Tale" describes.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The fact is - NOONE KNOWS

No one knows the truth or you believe no one knows the truth or the truth cannot be known.

How can you know that any of those statements can be true.

Playing with words yes, but also showing that that statement is nonsense.

Truth is that which best explains the facts. As I pointed out many religions contracting each other.
I am biased, but I would still recommend investigating Christianity through sites like coldcasechristianity or Lee Strobes books.

Jesus claimed that he was the truth. Test him out.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Oh I don't know what's truth. I just deeply mistrust anyone who has the audacity to say they have a respositry on the truth of the meaning of life, when there's a thousand versions of that particular truth. I'm just not going to be so arrogant to say I know which one, if any, is true. If you are... Then so be it.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Same for Gen Z in Canada & much of the US from my POV.

I live in Canada but am American. Trump is deeply deeply deeply unpopular here & bc there's so many evangelists in America who support him no matter what he does there's been more young ppl who are way skeptical way more than ever b4 about Christianity. But the good thing at least w my campus ministry group is that it's caused more of a focus on spirituality separate from the organized religion aspect. We're better able to make friends w other ppl who aren't religious at all bc they're not seeing from us the behaviour that makes them so weary of Christians.

Upvote 0