Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming (2 Peter 3: 11-12)

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can speed its coming and therefore His coming?

Are you yawning, or yearning?

:)

Last edited:

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
i think the key is in the verse itself.... "live holy and godly lives"...

but that's just me.

Steve

p.s. as he goes on to say... So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him... ( I think the gist is stop sinning and start being obedient.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm one of those people who believe the rapture will be be triggered, not by events, but by a number. When the Church grows to a certain number, the we will be gone. Therefore, working to complete that number will hasten His coming. (And I think we're almost there.)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm one of those people who believe the rapture will be be triggered, not by events, but by a number. When the Church grows to a certain number, the we will be gone. Therefore, working to complete that number will hasten His coming. (And I think we're almost there.)

Interesting! I heard someone with a similar view based on the dimensions of the new Jerusalem and the number of people it could hold. Is that where you get the idea?

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i think the key is in the verse itself.... "live holy and godly lives"...

but that's just me.

Steve

p.s. as he goes on to say... So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him... ( I think the gist is stop sinning and start being obedient.)

I completely agree with you Steve.

I know I have been justified by faith alone in Jesus but I am being sanctified and part of this calls for obedience in our daily walk with Jesus. I was convicted of this November when a dear Christian brother challenged me when he said its no good me saying I love Jesus but I need to obey what he says. At that time I began to see the importance of my response to God. Our brother Elijah2 calls this 'active obedience' i like that phrase.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming (2 Peter 3: 11-12)

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can speed its coming and therefore His coming?

“Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting (hasten to a place) unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?” (2 Pet. 3:11-12)

Hasting, to hasten has nothing to do with “SPEED”!

The primary purpose of these verses is not to satisfy our endeavour to speed things up, but to change our lives, rather than working for things that will ultimately be destroyed, therefore, working for THINGS that are eternal.

There is a big difference between the words “hasting”, “hasten” and “speed”. Just one of the many distortions and misrepresentations printed in the new age gospels of His Inspired Word that change the real meaning of His WORDS.:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel it would be selfish of me to want Him to come sooner, that would mean all those not saved could miss out.
Shouldn't we be concentrating on reaching all the lost before it is too late?

I think that as we get closer and closer to 'Armgeddon' more and more people will be saved. The two witnesses and 144,000 evangelists of Revelation will save a lot of people. When mighty supernatural things happen, people will begin to reach out for answers.

For those of us who believe in the rapture, I think a lot of peple will be saved then. People will faint with fear after the rapture saying, Where did they all go? Are they coming back? Are they coming back for me? Some will reach out and get saved, of course others will take refuge with the false prophet.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
:thumbsup: This would be my answer also.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Interesting! I heard someone with a similar view based on the dimensions of the new Jerusalem and the number of people it could hold. Is that where you get the idea?
I get the idea from where Jesus said:

Luke 21:24, They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

I think one of the things that will determine that the times of the Gentiles will be fulfilled is that everyone who is supposed to be saved at that time will be saved.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I feel it would be selfish of me to want Him to come sooner, that would mean all those not saved could miss out.
Shouldn't we be concentrating on reaching all the lost before it is too late?
Yeah, I think of this very similar to how you do. However, I do believe in a great end time revival just before Jesus comes again. This end time revival is what I pray for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
“For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Jude 4)

We have seen much of this over the past two decades, as we now enter the last days of perilous times, as the Body of Christ reels under the seduction and deception by large numbers of false teachers and Christians who are “mockers and walk according to their own ungodly lusts…sensual people causing division, and not having the Spirit” (Jude 18-19); perverting His Inspired Word, and our Lord Jesus Christ’s grace, denying His authority through the “doctrine of demons”.

They have cleverly infiltrated the Body of Christ, and even though they appear to “walk in the Spirit”, and make all the right sounds; they are false, spreading untruth and their “traditions of men”, as they push their “empty deceit of worldly and new age philosophy” (Col. 2:8).

Our Lord Jesus Christ spoke of them, “wolves in sheep’s clothing” (Matt. 7:15), as they teach a “grace” that is perverted, dangerous, seducing and deceiving.

I believe because of what has happened since the 1990s and now into 2009 that His People are going to be seduced and deceived even further by those who appear to be messengers from our Lord Jesus Christ, when they are Satan’s agents.

“These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds they are without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots; raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.” (Jude 12-13)

This year there will be many hidden reefs, and we all need to be “sober and vigilant” and be on our guard for seducers and deceivers whose trees may look fruitful, but they are ministers of Satan, promising spiritual growth and prosperity.

They talk about a “Christ” and “Jesus”, but not about our Lord Jesus Christ. They put on a good show, but lack any real substance; boast of liberty and salvation, but are seducing and deceiving; put His Lambs and Sheep into further bondage to sin: “While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage” (2 Pet. 2:19).

They are like wandering stars, network stars, TV stars, and after they do their evil deeds and make their money, they move on to other places to exploit His Children once again, and who still fail to be exposed.

Because this is happening, as we slip into 2009, I believe that the Body of Christ will begin to change its life, and we will be “looking for and hasting (hasten to a place) unto the coming of the day of our Lord Jesus Christ”, because it’s not far away.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
However, I do believe in a great end time revival just before Jesus comes again. This end time revival is what I pray for.

Hi There:wave:

I think that revival is happening. Its amazing the number of people being saved in China, India and the Muslim world. SKY TV and the internet are playing a part in this:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
E

enoch son

Are you yawning, or yearning?

How about beleif and not disbeif. Did He not say He would come and live with you? Didn't this happean at His new birth of you or quicken of you. How many times will it take for someone to say "HE IS HERE AND I'M ALIVE" One can't see the new Jer. if one doesn't belief one has come to it all ready Heb. chapther 12-13.

Upvote 0

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I think it is important to examine the meaning of the word speudō, which is where we get the phrases "hasten" or "make haste." While one might say that it has something to do with a physical action, it seems to me that this word has less to do with something that is done, and more to do with something that is felt. To hasten, in this context, is to yearn earnestly after.

Whenever this word could be said to be an action in Scripture, it is always something one does to himself. To ask someone to make haste is to ask him to move more quickly--to fervently desire arrival at his destination. 2 Peter 3 is the only reference that we have where this word has been construed to be an instance where a man is causing something other than himself to make speed.

Rather than making haste or speeding the coming of the Day of Yahweh, I think the believers of the body of Messiah were looking for and yearning for their liberation, the destruction of the corrupted foreshadow with the persecutions of the Great harlot, and the establishment of the new heaven and earth, with the temple made without hands.

I think a more meaningful interpretation in modern English would be "Looking for and earnestly yearning for the coming of the Day of Elohim"

But for me the exciting thing is that I believe we can be holy and acceptable to Him, because He has already come again and established the New Jerusalem in our hearts. I'm not looking for another day when Jesus is going to clean me, to end my terror, to cure my disease, to wipe away my tears, to end my death and my sorrow. I believe that day has already come, and this makes me free to live in it. It's a wonderful thing.

Upvote 0

Simon Peter

14th Generation PROTESTant
Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, I think of this very similar to how you do. However, I do believe in a great end time revival just before Jesus comes again. This end time revival is what I pray for.

Hi Nephil,

I'm interested, what makes you think there will be 'a great end time revival just before Jesus comes again'?

Thanks,
Simon

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.