Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
alexeeah said:
Proverbs 23:13-14 says Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.
And the word that is translated "child" is "na'ar", which means "a boy, lad, servant, youth, retainer". Bible scholars debate the precise age at which the word becomes applicable. Most agree, though, that a two-year-old is not a "na'ar".

And, by the way, beating your servants and retainers with a rod is also illegal assault. So is stoning adulterers. It's never good advice to encourage people casually to disobey their country's criminal code.

Reactions: mojorising
Upvote 0

cinni

Cuddly Dawg
Aug 25, 2004
Visit site
✟2,102.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have not read everyone else views on this yet but my personal views are that I just don't to my kids however I have been driven to anger and done it alot of times before i decided there was no point my kids just laugh or once the stinging kinda thing has stopped they are like who cares i will just do it again and so I have to look for other ways to deal with them however some kids do react well to being spanked if it works and the parent is not beating their child then it should defeniatly be used as an option. When i have smacked my kids it is normally to a bare bum. But its defeniatly the individual parents decesion whether they think its necessary.

I have just read Mollys post and I think she has some great ideas some I have not attempted myself which i think i will try with my kids.:)

cinni

Upvote 0

~ Gig ~

God is Gracious
Aug 6, 2004
Eastern Canada
✟315,811.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I do not like spanking, unless it's willful defiance. I have found that sending my daughter to bed after her supper works wonderfully.

-This is how my mother
disciplined us when we were children. I would have rare been spanked, because a spanking may hurt, however the hurt does not last. It is however, hard to sit it your room when you hear your friends outside having a great time and you can't join them.

Upvote 0

Crofter

White Rose
Mar 18, 2004
Yorkshire.
✟656.00
Faith
Christian
Some of the discipline issues involved here can be alleviated with TRAINING.

It's a lot like training a puppy or a horse, if that's not too offensive to think about.
I like your post very much....I often think this but people do seem to find it a little demeaning...but as a dog s in intelligence around age 3 to 5 years old by human standards and since training my dog to do so much I realised it is very much the same idea... but so often parents treat toddlers like adults and bombard them with launguage and complexities of adult reasonings and logic and explanations and expectations just as some people expect better than perfect human behaviour from their new puppy....

like with my kids I train my dog using games and make the unexpected games so sometimes I use whispers and sometimes hand gestures and so on to keep him interested in watching me and responding to me with lashings of praise... and like with a toddler who runs off to the swings when it's time to go home if my pup wouldn't come I do the oh... you can't catch me... game and go and run away and say I'm going to hide and so on and keep changing the game cos they have short concentraton spans so little and often just as with small children. And in my head I always thought I teach tis each day patiently with the aim that not next week or next month but when the dog is adult he will know how to behave very very well.

Upvote 0

alaskamolly

Queen of the Tundra
Jul 17, 2004
The Great North
Visit site
✟1,147.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You hit the nail on the head!

So many people expect more out of their animals then they do children! C'mone, if a mouse can run through a maze to get some cheese, then surely little Johnny can learn to come when he is called, right?

One of the biggest issues is safety. If my toddler can't come when he's called, or doesn't obey a simple command like "no-no," then what do I do when he's running for the street--or about to touch the boiling hot object?

Teaching a child simple obedience measures is defined as LOVE, in my book.
:) If you turn it into a fun short training session, held a couple times through the day and filled with hugs (just like you train a puppy to sit, really), it can be a sweet time for everyone.

Love in Him,
Molly

Upvote 0

super_mog

May 28, 2004
Arkansas
✟374.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Daughter of His said:
I have to worst memories of my Mom spanking me with terrrible anger. I love my Mom and forgave her long ago, but have the memories none the less. Please remember if you choose to spank, do it in love.
Was she spanking you for no reason?

Upvote 0

Andy Broadley

quam pulchra es amica mea quam pulchra
Oct 14, 2004
Grimsby. England
✟535,043.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
We have got 4 kids. We used to smack and now we don't. Why?

Because it does not work. Kids quickly become hardened to violence from parents. Our kids behaviour is no better or worse now than it was when we smacked them. Reading some of the earlier postings discussing what soet of implement to use and whether to hit through clothes or on bare skin totally horrified me.

Sorry guys, but that is child abuse.

Reactions: pmcleanj
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Andy Broadley said:
Reading some of the earlier postings discussing what soet of implement to use and whether to hit through clothes or on bare skin totally horrified me.

Reading such posts made me feel sick. Maybe it's a difference in culture with most Americans being for spanking with implements and us Brits having our stomachs turning at the mere thought of that. Recently on this side of the pond there has been talk of banning smacking completely http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3869267.stm And not too long ago cases such as this one hitting the courts http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/347853.stm

Upvote 0

Melbelle

Deadheadmakeup
Mar 22, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟53,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I honestly believe spanking is the way to go. But I believe it should be done not out of anger, I believe before you spank you should cool down then bring the kid in the back room talk to them and tell them what they did wrong and what you are going to have to do, after you spank them I believe you oughta hug them tell them that you love them, I know when seth gets old enough to be spanked it will break my heart but I will do it because Gods word says too spare the rod.

Reactions: andiesmama
Upvote 0

Melbelle

Deadheadmakeup
Mar 22, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟53,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh I also believe 2 is too young, I believe a 2yr old needs time out or something not a spanking they still do not understand. I believe as soon as they are capable of understanding things then is time to disaplean with spanking other then that a smack to the hand to warn NO thats hot or don't touch that is ok but no spanking at 2 if you sit a 2yr old down to tell them why you are about to spank you they will not understand, My neice is 3 and doesn't understand what "He is just a baby don't hit him." What makes you think she will understand "I'm going to have to whip you cus your being bad" well thats my 2cents

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Melbelle

Deadheadmakeup
Mar 22, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟53,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Andy Broadley said:
We have got 4 kids. We used to smack and now we don't. Why?

Because it does not work. Kids quickly become hardened to violence from parents. Our kids behaviour is no better or worse now than it was when we smacked them. Reading some of the earlier postings discussing what soet of implement to use and whether to hit through clothes or on bare skin totally horrified me.

Every kid is different, I was spanked as a child and I am not a violant person. My dad use to spank us with little tiny sticks.

Upvote 0

andiesmama

Senior Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
Florida
✟18,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
sethsmommy said:
Every kid is different, I was spanked as a child and I am not a violant person. My dad use to spank us with little tiny sticks.
I agree, both my sister & I were spanked, and we grew up fine...if I do say so myself!!^_^ Really, though, Melissa is right, each child is different, you just have to find the way that's best for your little one. And the way that fits best with your personal beliefs. I think spanking is fine, even now with my 2 year old if she's in the middle of one of her "drama queen tantrums":doh: or something like that, one little swat on her bottom is plenty to get her attention!! Even as she grows older, if need be, I won't be adverse to spanking....altho now that I'm a mom, I think I can relate to the phrase "It will hurt me more than it will hurt you!"

Upvote 0

Melbelle

Deadheadmakeup
Mar 22, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟53,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
andiesmama said:
altho now that I'm a mom, I think I can relate to the phrase "It will hurt me more than it will hurt you!"
Yup I know that one too I have not spanked my son yet but I can't imagin spanking him because of the love I have for him but I know he will get it one day:(

Upvote 0

alaskamolly

Queen of the Tundra
Jul 17, 2004
The Great North
Visit site
✟1,147.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the uk you don't get a way with smacking your kids.

You know, the policies a country has is absolutely NO indicator as to whether or not their policies are RIGHT. Every country generally thinks its policies are 'right'...I could name a lot of past "policies" in the UK that haven't been so great (just as I could about the US).

Comments like the above quote are somewhat irritating, in so far as they suggest a dependance on societal norms (which are always changing, like shifting sand) instead of a dependance on God's "norms."

The issue of spanking is very simple, really. We go to God's Word.

Hmmm...what does HE say? What is HIS opinion?

The question is NOT answered by saying, "Well, what do the Brits do?" or "What is done in the US?" That's how nonbelievers can answer their questions, if they so choose, but we Believers are held to a much higher standard than the ever-shifting sway of human opinion.

This even applies to those who feel that all "rod" passages are purely figurative--you still must ask the question of WHY would God choose to use that particular allegory, when He certainly could have chosen a variety of others to make His point? IF spanking is ALWAYS so horribly abusive, why did Yahweh choose to use such a terrible thing to illustrate his point?.

Certainly there are abuses that happen from the hands of violent parents. But do we then make the illogical jump and say, 'therefore, ALL spanking is abuse?' Because you know what, terrible things have happened in marraiges where God's Word has not been obeyed--therefore we need to do away with marriage (hey, sometimes the covenant is abused!).

...We also better do away with government, since we know that power can be abused too...And you know, I've known some school teachers who've abused their power--we'd better burn down all the schools while we're at it...

You see my point. People can and do abuse their power (it's called: sin nature). That doesn't rule out positions of power, or the godly use of such power--unless we'd all like to have a state of anarchy and just let sin have it's free reign.

Whether or not you agree PERSONALLY with spanking, I think one is hard pressed to say that God is opposed to it. Of course, if you have some Scriptural passages that show how God feels ALL spanking is abusive, I'd love to see them.

Because that's what this discussion really needs to revolve around, if we want it to be at all productive: not what my country thinks vs. what your country thinks, or my personal opinion vs. yours...but what does GOD think?

Blessings,
Molly

Upvote 0