• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Southern Baptist truth founded on sand or biblical truth?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by vanshan, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImSoBlessed

ImSoBlessed Active Member

+2
    Non-Denom
    its talking about the risen Christ

2. vanshan

vanshan A Sinner

+313
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    You are very wrong in these assumptions. I do not speak from my own authority, because I'm just a likely as you to get it wrong, but the Church has in full concensus condemned this belief. Not just the Orthodox Church, but almost all Protestant denominations.

Basil

3. ImSoBlessed

ImSoBlessed Active Member

+2
    Non-Denom
    guess what ya'll remeber the story how jesus was tempted by satan right? well God cannot be tempted..

Jam 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

4. Sinai

Sinai Well-Known Member

+15
    Protestant
    My comment was a relatively generic one directed toward any religious organization that discourages its members from searching the scriptures, prayerfully seeking the Holy Spirit's guidance or otherwise thinking for themselves; it was not meant to reference any church that does not do those things. Thank you for making the distinction with regard to your church.

5. Sinai

Sinai Well-Known Member

+15
    Protestant
    Sorry you apparently think I mischaracterized something Mr. Carlton said. If you will explain what you think I mischaracterized, I will attempt to respond. But thank you for sharing your thoughts in any event.

And no, I would not necessarily characterize the Taliban as being "the new substitute for Nazi"--though both of those groups went to rather extreme lengths to control the thoughts and actions of other people and to discourage free thought that might differ from the official established policy or edicts.

6. mysteryman

mysteryman Member

+4
    S A N D

7. Richard

Richard Legend

+491
    Christian
    Private
    Ok well this thread has gotten wayyyyy off topic, but here is my take on the orginal post.

I go to a Southern Baptist Church. Before going there I was going to Assembly of GOd, then A Methodist Church, and then a Prespreterian ( sorry for my misspelling ). This SBC is the greatest church i've been to. Speaking of Biblical Truth, I believe that the SBC speaks and is founded on Biblical Truth and I am insulted for others to think less.

8. vanshan

vanshan A Sinner

+313
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    No offense intended, but I do think we need to examine things carefully. I've attended several denominations also and they can be really misleading. Most of them give your tons of scriptures for everything they believe, so they seem Bible-based, but they often are mis-interpretting scripture! I was in the charismatic movement for a few years and whew! We must examine our faith to make sure we haven't slid off course.

Basil

9. zaire

zaire Well-Known Member

+37
    Christian
    Private
    Well said.

And this doesnt mean that the Church ever ceased to exist.

10. S Walch

S Walch -

+162
    Seeker
    Single
    Well, people are in disgreement on what 'The Church' Actually is.

To me, wherever there has been a Christian, there has been the church.

As all of the christians in the world make up The Body of Christ - aka - The Church.

Edit:

...and to actually answer the Op:

When i think of the "Southern Baptists" I am automatically reminded of the Caner brothers.

And if the Caner brothers are representatives of the SBC, I don't have much reason to doubt that they're preaching the truth due to what I've read/heard come out of the Caner brothers mouths.

11. Metanoia02

Metanoia02 Owner of the invisible &a mp;

+286
    Catholic
    If Jesus is not God then His death has no power for our redemption. Kind of ruins that whole Easter thing.

12. mysteryman

mysteryman Member

+4
    all churches are faltered, can you ever read you Bibles or are THEY just, dust on the shelf.

READ REVELATION CHAPTERS ________TWO AND THREE

ALL CHURCHES ______________- CAN'T YOU READ ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL ALL 7 ALL 7 ALL 7 ALL 7 ALL7 ALL 7

WHY THEN DOES THE BOOK OF REVELATION EXIST ?

FOR JESUS TO COMPLETE WHAT WAS PROPHESIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

H ____________________ELL____________________O

ALL SEVEN ALL SEVEN________ ALL _________________CORRUPT _______ BY WHO ?

EVIL PRESIDENTS EVIL KINGS ___________ FALSE PROPHETS

13. ScottBot

ScottBot Revolutionary

+1,339
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Not all churches faltered, for Christ said that His Church would be able to withstand the gates of hell.

14. racer

racer Contributor

+306
    Pentecostal
    Which simply means that no matter the trials and tribulations, the church will endure to the end. He never said the Church would be infallible, never err, never struggle . . . just that in the end the Church will still be here.

15. S Walch

S Walch -

+162
    Seeker
    Single
    Someone needs to re-read Chapters 1-3 of Revelation again.

Especailly Chapter 3: 7-13

The Message to the Church in Philadelphia
    7 "Write this letter to the angel of the church in Philadelphia. This is the message from the one who is holy and true. He is the one who has the key of David. He opens doors, and no one can shut them; he shuts doors, and no one can open them.

8 "I know all the things you do, and I have opened a door for you that no one can shut. You have little strength, yet you obeyed my word and did not deny me. 9 Look! I will force those who belong to Satan--those liars who say they are Jews but are not--to come and bow down at your feet. They will acknowledge that you are the ones I love.

10 "Because you have obeyed my command to persevere, I will protect you from the great time of testing that will come upon the whole world to test those who belong to this world. 11 Look, I am coming quickly. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown. 12 All who are victorious will become pillars in the Temple of my God, and they will never have to leave it. And I will write my God's name on them, and they will be citizens in the city of my God--the new Jerusalem that comes down from heaven from my God. And they will have my new name inscribed upon them. 13 Anyone who is willing to hear should listen to the Spirit and understand what the Spirit is saying to the churches.

As you will notice, Christ has nothing to falter with this church!

16. ScottBot

ScottBot Revolutionary

+1,339
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    And the Church is the brideof Christ, which has been created and perfected through Her Bridegroom which means that it will do much more than just endure, it will be victorious over it.

17. Sinai

Sinai Well-Known Member

+15
    Protestant
    If I recall my military training and strategy correctly, the gates usually are what are being attacked rather than what is doing the attacking. Didn't Christ expect us to be on the offensive rather than the defensive in that particular quotation?

18. mysteryman

mysteryman Member

+4
    To S Walch 7 Co

Let Me Speak To You Of This Church Of Phiiladelphia. That Hath The Key Of David , It Is Of The Synagogue Of Satan , Which Say They Are 'jews'.

This Church Is Not A Church Like All Others Addressed This Is Of The Jews. It Is Not Whole Their Leaders Are Corrupt But There Are A Handful That Keep His Word, And He Will See To It That They Are Kept And Others Will Come To Worship With Them Because They Have Kept Their Patience In Faith.

________ The Head Was Still Corrupt. It Was Not That The Head And All It's Members Are The Methodists , Or Catholics. Or Entire Christian Band.

The Jews Hold The Key Of David , He Is Their King Of Kings?
    Are You Of The Jews?_________ Key Words David And Synagogue

19. elizabethevangeline

elizabethevangeline Veteran

+62
    Christian
    Married
    I felt you mischaracterized the author's motives, and comparing his motives to that of the Taliban was rather inflamatory to me.

I really had nothing more to add but to say "tone down the rhetoric". I should have been more direct instead of sniping at you.

20. Blackhawk

Blackhawk Monkey Boy

+71
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I once thought as you do. I actually posted here in CF against giving Mary the title of Teokotos or mother of God. I said much the same thing as you do. That God was not what was born but Jesus the man. And it is true that God existed before Jesus was born into this world. However Jesus is one subject. He is not made up of two independent parts but two natures joined together but not mixed or mingled together. Jesus was the God man. He was God who became human. He did not stop being God but he was fully human. So he was born. And God was physically born. God was not brought forth into existence through Mary. However she is the mother of God. And this is not just something that the Orthodox church or the RCC believes. This is part of what it is meant to be orthodox. Nestorians are heretics. I think you mean well but you need to research this more and see why it is christologically and soteriologically necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.