Something seems to be wrong with me spiritually.

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟35,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First of all, I accept Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. I invited him into my life back in 2004, but have had roller coaster periods.
I get anxious easily, and have just come out of an anxious situation, and thought I was well on my way to peace of mind, when suddenly unwanted intrusive thoughts of obscene words I have said to other people, but stopped saying, started popping up in my mind whenever I'm praying to God even though I would never ever say any of those things to him. I don't know what started this, but now I'm terrified for my own soul. Am I lost?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, I accept Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. I invited him into my life back in 2004, but have had roller coaster periods.
I get anxious easily, and have just come out of an anxious situation, and thought I was well on my way to peace of mind, when suddenly unwanted intrusive thoughts of obscene words I have said to other people, but stopped saying, started popping up in my mind whenever I'm praying to God even though I would never ever say any of those things to him. I don't know what started this, but now I'm terrified for my own soul. Am I lost?
For now, just stop praying for things you need or for what others need instead, pray, think and meditate on the Lord and His wonderous works.
Sometimes praying for this or that gets in the way of just being with His Spirit; quiet, peaceful and in thankfulness. Refreshing to Him, I am sure.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,656.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t know how to stop them. You could take thoughts captive as in 2Cor 10:3-5. Maybe with resistance it will blow over. Sometimes when we pray and the door is open the flesh will start up in rebellion. Maybe stop and start over. Praying the sure things of God sounds like a good idea.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your thoughts are not you. They come and they go. Observe them and let them go. If anything, think of the opposite of those thoughts.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As Unqualified posted, "Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;" II Cor 10:5

So the life application is when those thoughts come, immediately put your focus on God and His Word such as:
"And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior" (Luke 1:47)
God "...hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:" (Col 1)
"To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen." Jude v 25

Or you can look at it as - Put on God's armor. In this case, apply the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God (Eph 6:10-18).

Be persistent and those type of thoughts will stop. (Phili]plans 4:8). If they do try to return, again immediately focus on the truth.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You are not lost...

Being born again does not mean the end of spiritual battles.

"Be not conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..." This takes time.

The unredeemed flesh can arise and effect your thinking - Confess, repent and renounce.

In some cases the unwanted thoughts can be a spiritual attack.

If so, resist such thoughts by proclaiming against them in Jesus Name.

Praise is a great weapon - focus your mind on Jesus and deliberately praise.

Then there is what you feast your mind on... So much on TV or the internet can be a trigger that reactivates wrong thinking.

The word resist in the verse "resist Satan and he will flee from you' means in the greek 'to make arrangements against' implying it is done in advance of an attack.

This means - be in healthy fellowship, be reading His Word, seek good righteous friends, take time out to pray and be quiet with Him, avoid worldly grunge, feast you eyes on good things.

Your soul is not lost because your mind is under attack - however feed the mind with goodness and resist the unwanted visitors.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know there are evangelistic methods contemporaries use to share the gospel.
The is the "Ask Jesus into your heart/life."
The "Make Jesus Lord of your life."
The "Make Him your personal Savior"
And of course many others.
And we know what these well meaning evangelists are saying.
Trouble is, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. That means words. And the words you hear have to actually be from the Word. We do not see any of the above words or concepts in the scriptures. If you want to have faith, then you have to use the words and concepts of found in His Word.
Where does it say to "ask Jesus into your life?" Where does it say anything about a "personal savior."
Where does it say we should or even can "Make Jesus Lord of your life?" And this one is dangerous. Acts 2:36 says God made Jesus your Lord and Christ.

Acts 2:36 KJV
36. Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly,
that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified,
both Lord and Christ.

When we tell people that they have to "make Jesus Lord" of their lives, we are suggesting that He is not already Lord by decree of God, IOWs a subtle denial of Acts 2:36.

Moreover, the way to faith is to stand on God's word, not our attempts to "ask" or "make or "invite" Jesus do to something where there is no evidence that He can or will do any of it. This puts our confidence on the shaky ground of our own ideas, actions, and abilities.

My point is that if we want scripture results, we have to use scripture methods and scripture words. Faith is automatic when we use His words. He is faithful to do His word, so that is the source of our faith.

Whosoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Romans 10:9-13 KJV
9. That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
12. For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
13. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Reactions: DavidTheGnome
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know there are evangelistic methods contemporaries use to share the gospel.
The is the "Ask Jesus into your heart/life."
The "Make Jesus Lord of your life."
The "Make Him your personal Savior"
And of course many others.
And we know what these well meaning evangelists are saying.
Trouble is, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. That means words. And the words you hear have to actually be from the Word. We do not see any of the above words or concepts in the scriptures.

Wrong...

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

Matt 10:37 “The one who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and the one who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And the one who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 The one who has found his life will lose it, and the one who has lost his life on My account will find it.

Luke 2:11 for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.

Such matters are well established in Scripture.

Upvote 0

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟35,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From what some websites say, I might be experiencing religious OCD or scrupulosity. I've been obsessive-compulsive my whole life, but was able to tolerate it. But having my prayers interrupted by thoughts of obscenities I would never ever say to God has recently started happening, and it really aggravates my fear of God and gives me the impression that I'm being turned over to a reprobate mind, even though I've always been a bit mentally short by human standards. I love God and would never consider starting an enmity with him. I may have been mentally compromised from having my anxiety pushed to the extreme, or demons are attacking me, or both. There's also the possibility that through certain sins of mine, I might have accidentally let something in that I now want out. Some people online suggest letting the thoughts go, and they'll die down. They also say that trying to fight them off makes them worse. Sometimes the following methods seem to help some, but not always: Thinking about something secular, thinking "Bless you, the Lord." or "Son of God is awesome." or "Sunken ships" (like the one from Mario 64) or "Fun fun fun", calming down and smiling at the Lord, reminding myself to trust the Lord, moving my mouth to my prayers.

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wrong...

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and will dine with him, and he with Me.

Matt 10:37 “The one who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and the one who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And the one who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 The one who has found his life will lose it, and the one who has lost his life on My account will find it.

Luke 2:11 for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.

Such matters are well established in Scripture.
I don't think you actually read what I said.. But that is ok. Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From what some websites say, I might be experiencing religious OCD or scrupulosity. I've been obsessive-compulsive my whole life, but was able to tolerate it. But having my prayers interrupted by thoughts of obscenities I would never ever say to God has recently started happening, and it really aggravates my fear of God and gives me the impression that I'm being turned over to a reprobate mind, even though I've always been a bit mentally short by human standards. I love God and would never consider starting an enmity with him. I may have been mentally compromised from having my anxiety pushed to the extreme, or demons are attacking me, or both. There's also the possibility that through certain sins of mine, I might have accidentally let something in that I now want out. Some people online suggest letting the thoughts go, and they'll die down. They also say that trying to fight them off makes them worse. Sometimes the following methods seem to help some, but not always: Thinking about something secular, thinking "Bless you, the Lord." or "Son of God is awesome." or "Sunken ships" (like the one from Mario 64) or "Fun fun fun", calming down and smiling at the Lord, reminding myself to trust the Lord, moving my mouth to my prayers.

Something or someone suggests using secular means to fight a spiritual war..
... isn't this like a house divided against itself?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think you actually read what I said.. But that is ok. Peace

I quoted you and you think I didn't read the post ???

And you seem to be claiming that truth can't exist unless it has been quoted word for word in Scripture...

To me this is a very narrow view of Truth.

Upvote 0

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟35,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Something or someone suggests using secular means to fight a spiritual war..
... isn't this like a house divided against itself?
No one suggested it. I came up with it. Just because something is secular doesn't make it Satanic.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,886.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I quoted you and you think I didn't read the post ???

And you seem to be claiming that truth can't exist unless it has been quoted word for word in Scripture...

To me this is a very narrow view of Truth.
Ok.. thanks

Upvote 0

amd358

Aug 8, 2023
Midland, Texas
✟8,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I shared in another post that I was also plagued with bad thoughts that nearly drove me to the brink. God led me to a book by Beth Moore on praying scripture. Over time, as I prayed God's word back to Him, the thoughts eventually went away.

This is what stopped bad thoughts from overwhelming me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Galatians chapter 5 it's the flesh against the spirit. Thier are unclean spirits that will influence people. The way to deal with it, is Luke chapter 9. Order satan and evil spirits away from you in Jesus name.
Number 2. Fill your mind with studying one chapter of the bible per day. Don't allow a unclean spirit to have opportunity to influence you.
Those who engage with alcohol or drugs, is worst thing to do. They are open to demonic influence. Get the picture.
Study the bible and focus on Jesus.

Upvote 0

ari.sketch

Aug 14, 2023
Daejeon
✟7,389.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi David, sorry to hear about your troubles, but they are not too uncommon, I'm pretty sure we've all had intrusive thoughts, bad thoughts enter our mind when we pray even, especially when we pray because the enemy don't like it when we pray,

so, not surprising at all, because,
1. There is a battle going on, and the battle is in our mind, that's how the enemy attack
2. There's basically 3 types of voices/thoughts in our mind, God, the enemy, and us - know that not every thoughts are yours, the devil, the enemy can and will put thoughts into your mind

Unqualified gave an excellent verse about taking our thoughts captive.

If you think you may need more help, are you connected to a church? That would be a great place to talk about your trouble, they may be able to help you more.

Reactions: DavidTheGnome
Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The Christian life is simply transitioning from the flesh (living for self) to living for Christ (selflessness). The Corinthians are examples of those who fail to progress;

1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
1Co 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

There are all sorts of problems that best the Christian who walks in the flesh such as drawn to indulge sensations such as alcohol, pride and greedy ambitions, and perhaps the most difficult to overcome, indolence and complacency.

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Walking by the Spirit is the key to a victorious Christian life. It starts with adopting the mind of Christ (humility)

Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Humility leads to truth which in turn allows us to see that within us that we need to let go of.

2Co 5:15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.

As we make room in our lives to allow the Holy Spirit to work, we can find that he makes us better people.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Upvote 0

DavidTheGnome

Jun 12, 2023
Powell
✟35,307.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi David, sorry to hear about your troubles, but they are not too uncommon, I'm pretty sure we've all had intrusive thoughts, bad thoughts enter our mind when we pray even, especially when we pray because the enemy don't like it when we pray,

so, not surprising at all, because,
1. There is a battle going on, and the battle is in our mind, that's how the enemy attack
2. There's basically 3 types of voices/thoughts in our mind, God, the enemy, and us - know that not every thoughts are yours, the devil, the enemy can and will put thoughts into your mind

Unqualified gave an excellent verse about taking our thoughts captive.

If you think you may need more help, are you connected to a church? That would be a great place to talk about your trouble, they may be able to help you more.
Yes, I am part of a church. But I haven't said anything to any of them about it yet.

Upvote 0