Some random discussion on evolution...

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But there is nothing in a bird's wing which is not present in the forelimb of the reptile from which the bird's wing evolved--the same bones, muscles, veins and arteries, etc. Only the relative shapes and proportions of these components are different. What is "too complex" about that?

Let’s not lose sight of the fact that birds were around for millions of years before this bird “Big Bang”.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
can you calculate the chance for a non-living watch to evolve by a natural process?
Which has nothing to do with the question at hand. We are talking about the evolution of a bird's wing from a reptilian forelimb.

have you heard about feathers? a reptile dont have feathers.
Modern reptiles do not. However, there is fossil evidence earlier reptilian ancestors had feathers. In other words, that the feather evolved before birds.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[
Complexity is a mathematical concept. Any argument from complexity which does not have math backing it up is just an argument from incredulity.

Even a simple mobile organism is too complex even for mathematicians. Even a simple motion requires incredible complexity, thus no math formula for motion. :(

But there is nothing in a bird's wing which is not present in the forelimb of the reptile from which the bird's wing evolved--the same bones, muscles, veins and arteries, etc. Only the relative shapes and proportions of these components are different. What is "too complex" about that?

Both are very complex. I think evolutionists are the authors of 'division of labor', whereas very complex engineering projects are broken down into many simple single tasks, thus masquerading the real complexity of the project. Thus a simple evolutionary change here, followed by another simple change, then another, and soon a fantastically complex critter appears that was the product of trillions of 'simple' evolutionary changes over gazillions of years.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Even a simple mobile organism is too complex even for mathematicians. Even a simple motion requires incredible complexity, thus no math formula for motion. :(
If this is true then creationists cannot claim that complexity rules out evolution. As Speedwell noted the argument then becomes a logical fallacy based on personal or group incredulity. Congratulations, you have just refuted your own argument!

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Thus a simple evolutionary change here, followed by another simple change, then another, and soon a fantastically complex critter appears that was the product of trillions of 'simple' evolutionary changes over gazillions of years.

This is how recursive processes work. It's possible to generate incredibly complex patterns from relatively simple recursive algorithms. The key is to understand the principle of recursion.

This is also why arguments that life forms are too complex to have been formed by evolution fall flat. There is nothing inherently prohibitive about evolution forming such organisms.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If this is true then creationists cannot claim that complexity rules out evolution. As Speedwell noted the argument then becomes a logical fallacy based on personal or group incredulity. Congratulations, you have just refuted your own argument!

I'm not talking about 'odds', I'm talking about applying a math formula to each needed evolutionary change.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is how recursive processes work. It's possible to generate incredibly complex patterns from relatively simple recursive algorithms. The key is to understand the principle of recursion.

This is also why arguments that life forms are too complex to have been formed by evolution fall flat. There is nothing inherently prohibitive about evolution forming such organisms.

What would be a simple algorithm for a horse galloping at full speed while processing terrain and surroundings and commands from it's rider?

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What would be a simple algorithm for a horse galloping at full speed while processing terrain and surroundings and commands from it's rider?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I'm talking about evolution as a recursive process to produce an output. I'm not talking about the output in and of itself.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not talking about 'odds', I'm talking about applying a math formula to each needed evolutionary change.
I never mentioned odds. You seem to think odds and complexity are the same. Who knows? Your posts are rarely incisive, focused or clear. Muddy thinking produces inconsequential results.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I showed you the math once and you said it made your head hurt. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I never mentioned odds. You seem to think odds and complexity are the same. Who knows? Your posts are rarely incisive, focused or clear. Muddy thinking produces inconsequential results.

They have some relationship to each other.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure what you're asking here.

I'm talking about evolution as a recursive process to produce an output. I'm not talking about the output in and of itself.

In examining past research are the gaps still there?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I showed you the math once and you said it made your head hurt. ;)

If you could show me the math I ask for my head would probably explode. :eek:

Actually there is no math that accounts for evolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I've not heard that term here before.
You're asking a lot of any process outside of special creation when you consider the complexity of organisms.
It's a term describing a certain class of the stochastic processes I tried to explain to you before. One of the perceptual mistakes you may be making is to regard complex biological structures as a long term target for the evolutionary process. But evolution has no long term targets and so if complexity arises it is purely contingent and the "odds" of achieving it are meaningless.

A simple analogy is this: Everyone knows that the odds against a particular ticked holder winning the lottery are astronomical, but no one supposes that means nobody can win it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Huh? You're going to have to clarify what you are talking about.

Is evolution a complete science, no questions, missing parts, that might cast doubt on the process?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Is evolution a complete science, no questions, missing parts, that might cast doubt on the process?
No, it is not complete--no science is--but no doubt has been cast on it so far.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

Nothing in science is complete, so I'm not sure why you would wonder if the science related to evolution would be. There is always more to learn and likely always will be.

Insofar as doubt, there is nothing I am aware of that casts doubt on the diversity of life on Earth being the result of biological evolution. Certainly nothing to reinforce the creationist view, if that's what you are wondering.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's a term describing a certain class of the stochastic processes I tried to explain to you before. One of the perceptual mistakes you may be making is to regard complex biological structures as a long term target for the evolutionary process. But evolution has no long term targets and so if complexity arises it is purely contingent and the "odds" of achieving it are meaningless.

A simple analogy is this: Everyone knows that the odds against a particular ticked holder winning the lottery are astronomical, but no one supposes that means nobody can win it.

Your analogy begins with the existence of the winning ticket. Evolution is just reverse engineering of something that already exists.

Upvote 0