Nov 28, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
✟16,524.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im a truck junky so naturally ive got more pics of my trucks then anything else.

See if you can find the blackbird in the 4th pic

the first 3 were taken with a canon digital rebel and the last 2 were put on kodak CD from a canon T-70

oh and my dog wouldnt sit still for any pictures

let me know what I need to work on, thanks

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 61
  • truck4anglelake.jpg
    truck4anglelake.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 80
  • truck1smalllake.jpg
    truck1smalllake.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 72
  • trucklakesm.jpg
    trucklakesm.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 83
  • trucklakesm2.jpg
    trucklakesm2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 57

Piano Player

Order of the Candle
Apr 12, 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
✟15,881.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
72_Chev_Truck said:
let me know what I need to work on, thanks

#1 Nice dog. You can do a lot better. For an active dog like this try a "panning" shot. Try different shutter speeds set at 1/60 second or slower, and while dog is running, move the camera with the dog. You have to get a little lucky here, but a good picture will have elements of the dog in focus (like the eyes) while the background shows motion blur. Combine this with rear synch flash, and you can get a sharply focused dog with blur lines behind him or her. This kind of stuff requires a lot of shots, but you can get real unusual pictures.

#2 Good product shot of the truck. I like the subject placement, the background, and the tension created by the wheels at full turn. One problem. Camera meters almost always assume that the area within your frame is 18% grey. Normally this works just fine. However, when you take a picture of something that is white or black, the camera meter will tend to expose it toward grey. That is why this picture is a bit underexposed. To get proper exposure you must manually "overexpose" the picture a stop or two. Most cameras have an exposure compensation system that lets you adjust plus or minus. For a black truck, you do just the opposite; intentionally underexpose the picture a stop or two depending on how much "space" the black object takes in the picture.

#3 A bit less underexposed since the white truck takes less space. Pretty background--except for that stupid red sign taking the viewers eye away from the subject. Move the truck, move the sign, or change your angle of view. You can also improve this picture by following the "rule of thirds." The strongest placement of a subject is not in the center. For a shot that includes more background like this, put the truck in the upper, lower, left of right third. Where the thirds intersect is the strongest placement of a subject. I would suggest placing the truck where the front points to the larger area of the picture. This creates a sense of direction, travel, and movement.

#4 I do so like well done pictures taken toward a strong light. However, they require a lot of care and thought. Because of the backlight, the truck is more underexposed than ever. If you tried to expose for the truck, the background would get too light. What this shot really needs is a huge white wall just out of the picture reflecting fill light toward the truck. I have seen photo shoots where you would not believe the size of the reflecting walls constructed for just this purpose. You could also try a bit of fill flash for the same effect, but it is harder to make it look natural. Sometimes, if you look around, you can find a house, barn, or shed that can do the same thing. Even two friends holding up a large white sheet can make a big difference in a photo like this.

This shot also suffers from the same red sign growing out of the truck's bed. A picture is not three dimensional. You always have to be careful about backgrounds. Otherwise you can have trees or flowers growing out of people's heads. In this case, the sign is growing out of the truck, and it looks like the cab has a green head of hair.

Better exposure since the backlight is more to the right this time. Truck is still underexposed, and fill would help a lot. Also move the truck back a foot or two, and you lose the distracting bench in front of the bumper, and the distracting bit of tree in the upper left. (Sometimes you can use foreground tree elements to "frame" a picture--this shot does not accomplish that since the tree is just big enough to distract, but not enough to frame, and there is no corresponding tree element to the right)

Speaking of foreground, I think you could make more use of the interesting road surface that appears in a number of the photographs. After all, that is what the truck is for. For example, placing the truck in photo #3 in the upper right third, lets you include more of the road. Change the perspective so the road "flows" through the picture naturally leading the viewer's eye right to the truck. With any luck the red sign goes away.

Upvote 0

mamabear4

Lily of the Valley and Rose of Sharon lover
Dec 23, 2004
Mississippi, USA
✟1,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My son has this older model Chev that I love to drive. He has the koolest glasspaks on it and the engine geared so low it will scarcely idle. I feel like the coolest chick waiting at a red light. :thumbsup: Here are some pics of it that I took just last week while at his house. They're not creative shots and for some reason since I upload my pictures to a new webhost so I can post them here in CF they are very digital and noisy. Not cool!

cprssedjstruck.jpg

That's his friend's Chev in the back.

crssdinsidejstrk.jpg

The inside. Had to get the guns, you know.

crssdbackjstrk.jpg

Can't see all the decals on the back window for the digital noise. Sorry bout that cuz he has the neatest decals. (I'm one proud mama, can't you tell?)

Upvote 0

mamabear4

Dec 23, 2004
Mississippi, USA
✟1,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I konw these pics aren't of Chev's but I just thought since we're on the vehicle subject you might enjoy these too. Here are more pics of my son's cool vehicles. Here's his Dodge Dart. He just got married last week and the Dart was their "honeymoon getaway" car. Actually, it only took them from the church to his house and I think he was apprehensive about it making it that far. ;) The second picture is of wedding bells that they had hanging on the mirror. After they left on their honeymoon I walked around the car snapping pictures. I apologize for the digital noise.

cprssddart.jpg

cprssdweddingblss.jpg

crpssedcarmirror.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mamabear4

Dec 23, 2004
Mississippi, USA
✟1,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you for your kindness. I realy regretted having posted them and wished there would have been a way to delete my posts. But now they're not visible anyway which isn't cool either. Ive' had mega-trouble posting pictures in CF. Wonder if I'm the only one or if it's a common problem here. Let me try one more time to post the pictures of the Chev truck.

cpsdjaystruck.jpg

cpsdinsidetruck.jpg

cpsdbacktruck.jpg

Upvote 0