Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So many new threads recently turning from scripture and insisting that traditions of man
Isn't "sola scriptura" a doctrine of men? I never saw the words "sola scriptura" in the scriptures. I Never saw the doctrine behind "sola scriptura" in the scriptures. Perhaps you can write down exactly what doctrine of sola scriptura you are using for the idea in the topic title?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are just based your idea on a modernistic take of Church History (well, nit as Modernistic as Liberals believe).
I believe even a Traditional Catholic view of tradition goes back to Cardinal Newman.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"All scripture given by inspiration from God AND to be used for doctrine" 2 Tim 3:16 said at a time when they had both NT writings and OT scripture
The quote from 2 Timothy is about the scriptures that Timothy knew from his childhood as he was taught by his mother. Those scriptures are old testament scriptures, probably in Greek translation since Timothy was a Greek speaker. The passage ought to be read a little more fully.
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:14-17​

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is divine revelation as opposed to something that is considered true only because it has stood the test of time and been widely accepted (tradition). The Bible itself testifies to its nature and origin.

I would not deny it is divine revelation, I only would add that Jesus himself is the foundation being the very word of God. In your goal to make the bible a self-sufficient book I think what you end up doing is deflating Jesus and who he is. The Gospel in it's fullness was expressed in Christ himself, not in John writing the final letter of the book of revelation.

So what does this mean? If the Apostles immediately after the ascension of Jesus had access to the truth independent of the New Testament and it was in no way lacking, what sense does it make to speak about the bible in the way you are, as if it comes first before all and is a Quranic like book?

This is not to deny scripture's authority and we should side with it above what men say. Yet the whole tradition vs scripture dichotomy is lacking when I simply look at the nature of the Christian faith itself. The bible I do not find testifying to itself at least insofar as a unified canon. That was the work of the Church that had received these texts and canonized them.

So when you suggest the tradition is something which has only stood the test of time, instead of being something that has always been present within the Church community guiding us even when there was no New Testament, I simply have to disagree. There is no meaningful dichotomy between scripture and tradition that leads us to look at Protestants and say they are any different. You have your own tropes and traditions you are adamant about that aren't strictly biblical but are based off of an interpretation.

Upvote 0

Crosstian

Baring The Cross
Oct 5, 2019
Country
✟1,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Mark" was never in the original documents.
You know this how exactly? You have the originals on hand to compare? Please, that would be an announcement to make to the world.

Here is the 'early' (so called) evidence for the mss, including Mark.

How many Mark 1:1-* do you see?

Gospel manuscripts.

In the one codex (Sinaiticus, not actually 4th cent.) it plainly says KATA MARKON in the upper part of the codice - Codex Sinaiticus - See The Manuscript | Mark |

So, while not "in the text" (ie verses), it is on the Codice itself, which would be a copying from that which came before it. You are vainly assuming it was not in the originals, of which you do not have, have never seen, but in the copies we do have, it is on the codice, and other mss.

Tradition? No.

You say Mark wrote it because of Tradition.
Not at all. You simply are unaware of the actual evidence we do have in mss, codice, etc.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You know this how exactly? You have the originals on hand to compare? Please, that would be an announcement to make to the world.

Here is the 'early' (so called) evidence for the mss, including Mark.

How many Mark 1:1-* do you see?

Gospel manuscripts.

In the one codex (Sinaiticus, not actually 4th cent.) it plainly says KATA MARKON in the upper part of the codice - Codex Sinaiticus - See The Manuscript | Mark |

So, while not "in the text" (ie verses), it is on the Codice itself, which would be a copying from that which came before it. You are vainly assuming it was not in the originals, of which you do not have, have never seen, but in the copies we do have, it is on the codice, and other mss.

Tradition? No.

Not at all. You simply are unaware of the actual evidence we do have in mss, codice, etc.
St. Mark never mentioned himself there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So many new threads recently turning from scripture and insisting that traditions of man are all that matters...
I'd have to go with the ECF over a 16th century tradition of men called 'Sola Scriptura'.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The entire process of writing, receiving, compiling, verifying the authorship of, ordering, discerning, and canonizing Scripture came about through the Church. So indeed, yes, Sacred Scripture is something given us by the Church.

We were never meant to use Scripture alone, or even primarily, as a guide for Christian life and thought, as a contrast for the prayers, devotions, liturgies, theology, practices, beliefs, and conclusions given us by those same Christians who helped us get the Bible.

Upvote 0

Crosstian

Baring The Cross
Oct 5, 2019
Country
✟1,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not mentioned on the Old Testament
That’s because the OT testifies to the seat of Moses. Jesus did not say the Scribes and Pharisees rightfully sat in the seat of Moses.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He never mentioned “Trinity” either. But the concept of the Trinity is taught in scripture.
One only needs to look at what Jesus told the apostles after His Resurrection reference the Scriptures:

Luke 24: NASB

44Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46and He said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, 47and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.48“You are witnesses of these things.49“And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.”

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single