United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
To All Who Will Hear:

The Water and Bamboo Analogy is a false premise of how "works" actually function.
Jesus compares His work done through us as fruit.
Jesus's example is a more accurate analogy.
John the Baptist says bring forth fruits worthy of repentance.
So it is Synergistic. We have to cooperate and walk with God by obeying His commands.
God is not going to obey for us.
In fact, most Belief Alone Proponents will turn back around and say that you can sin a little bit and still be saved on some level by having a belief alone on Jesus as long as you generally live a holy life. For they say that sin does not separate them from God. They believe that if they sin, they do not lose their salvation. So what of holy living then? It is non-existent. If one believes they can sin and still be saved, then there is no incentive to actually live holy. Some will cry out otherwise, but what of those who hear their message that says they can sin a little and still be saved? What if they decide to sin and they think they can sin all the time? Are they still saved because they started sinning too much vs. sinning a little? Does a smaller amount of serious sin really make the situation morally better than say a person who commits bad sin all the time?

Anyway, we have to remember that Jesus said a good tree cannot bring forth bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bring forth good fruit. But the Belief Alone Proponent will have me believe otherwise.

Are you serious?

You dispute that the Water isn't yours?

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To All Who Will Hear:

The Water and Bamboo Analogy is a false premise of how "works" actually function.
So it is Synergistic. We have to cooperate and walk with God by obeying His commands.
In fact, most Belief Alone Proponents will turn back around and say that you can sin a little bit and still be saved on some level by having a belief alone on Jesus as long as you generally live a holy life. For they say that sin does not separate them from God. They believe that if they sin, they do not lose their salvation. So what of holy living then? It is non-existent. If one believes they can sin and still be saved, then there is no incentive to actually live holy. Some will cry out otherwise, but what of those who hear their message that says they can sin a little and still be saved? What if they decide to sin and they think they can sin all the time? Are they still saved because they started sinning too much vs. sinning a little? Does a smaller amount of serious sin really make the situation morally better than say a person who commits bad sin all the time?

Anyway, we have to remember that Jesus said a good tree cannot bring forth bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bring forth good fruit. But the Belief Alone Proponent will have me believe otherwise.
Peter told Ananias that he was free to use his wealth as he wished. Joshuas are made not born.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟86,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The choice of words was unfortunate, as only God can be called “good”. The word “faith” is used in the text to mean “loyalty” , again wrongly chosen to mean “belief”.

If we then re examine the teaching, faith is enough because we have an objective test for loyalty: right response in the right situation.

Consider the members of the church in the Book of Acts. Some were born again, agreed being loyal to the world was futile, and could see the kingdom of God, the fulfilled life of those who came out of Egypt, wanted to be perfect, mature, and followed God. Others were also born again, and actually came out of Egypt and followed God, actually entered the kingdom of God.

Both those who agreed and those who came out were loyal. There was no compulsion to come out of Egypt, claim to be able to build a house and risk being unable to complete, they were free to do what they wished with all that they possessed, as long as they negotiated terms of peace.

Ananias and Sapphira confessed God was better than the world, but they were free not to act on it. No compulsion to do any of those deeds you listed.

Ananias and Sapphira lied to the Holy Spirit, and they died for it. That was the point of that.

I'm still trying to understand what your underlying point is. I'm not sure I fully have enough material to discern your position.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟86,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Peter told Ananias that he was free to use his wealth as he wished. Joshuas are made not born.

Are you promoting that works are required to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, or agreeing that Jesus is enough?

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To All Who Will Hear:

The bamboo shoots of water is a poor analogy because the shoots did not have to do anything but be a dead conduit alone for the water. The Lord's parable on His working done through us as being fruit is a more accurate analogy because a plant or tree that produces fruit is a living organism like we are a living organism that functions. Jesus cursed a tree that did not bring forth fruit.

This analogy is parallel to the unprofitable servant who was cast into outer darkness.
It is a parallel of the branch being thrown into the fire because it did not produce fruit.
Again, the Lord's analogy on the truth is better than some fictional representation that attempts to move away from what our Lord taught us in His Word.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟86,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ananias and Sapphira confessed God was better than the world, but they were free not to act on it. No compulsion to do any of those deeds you listed.

Acts 5:3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the proceeds from the field? Wasn’t it yours while you possessed it? And after it was sold, wasn’t it at your disposal? Why is it that you planned this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God!”

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ananias and Sapphira lied to the Holy Spirit, and they died for it. That was the point of that.

I'm still trying to understand what your underlying point is. I'm not sure I fully have enough material to discern your position.
Why did God feed the children of Israel "bread from heaven", continue to perform miracles even after they left Pharoah? Because He wanted to build up a family, raise Joshuas. Joshua only made a distinction of himself after a period of time, during the passage through the wilderness.

Similarly, Ananias and Sapphira only had to keep being fed " bread from heaven".

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟86,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
To All Who Will Hear:

The bamboo shoots of water is a poor analogy because the shoots did not have to do anything but be a dead conduit alone for the water. The Lord's parable on His working done through us as being fruit is a more accurate analogy because a plant or tree that produces fruit is a living organism like we are a living organism that functions. Jesus cursed a tree that did not bring forth fruit.

This analogy is parallel to the unprofitable servant who was cast into outer darkness.
It is a parallel of the branch being thrown into the fire because it did not produce fruit.
Again, the Lord's analogy on the truth is better than some fictional representation that attempts to move away from what our Lord taught us in His Word.

This is getting a little creepy. I'm being sincere. Do you not understand the Water is not us?

I'm struggling to grasp how one is able to employ this level of biblical dishonesty. Jesus, Himself attributed everything to HIS Father, and He's God.

What is your goal here?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 5:3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the proceeds from the field? Wasn’t it yours while you possessed it? And after it was sold, wasn’t it at your disposal? Why is it that you planned this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God!”
Again, "hashatan" means "adversary", the internal conflicting impulse to be worldly.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟86,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Why did God feed the children of Israel "bread from heaven", continue to perform miracles even after they left Pharoah? Because He wanted to build up a family, raise Joshuas. Joshua only made a distinction of himself after a period of time, during the passage through the wilderness.

Similarly, Ananias and Sapphira only had to keep being fed " bread from heaven".

Joshua was a type of Jesus.

(Ephesians 1:13) is embodied... here...

Joshua 1:13 ; Joshua 1:3 I have given you every place where the sole of your foot treads, just as I promised Moses.

I'm still trying to discern your words. Allow me to ask you outright. Is John 3:16 true?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟86,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Again, "hashatan" means "adversary", the internal conflicting impulse to be worldly.

Satan is real! The church of Satan's highest doctrine is to deny his existence. I'm not joking, look it up. That's not a safe teaching!

I'll link it if I have to!

Jesus cast out REAL DEMONS and today, they do 2 things...

Deny Faith In Christ Saves
Deny that God Died for our Sins

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟86,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

This is misleading. Ananias promised his wealth to God! They lied to the Holy Spirit. That's why they were condemned. They invested their wealth on themselves, instead of on one another and towards furthering the Gospel.

That's why they died.

• Winner
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To All Who Will Hear:

It is claimed by some Belief Alone Proponents that Faith Alone is not a loophole to sin without sorrow.
i disagree. First, I have talked with some Belief Alone Proponents who believe they can sin without impunity. Several Belief Alone Proponents admitted to me that they could mow down a crowd of people with a submachine gun and still be saved while doing so. One person admitted this to me in person even.

Also, George Sodini is a prime example of the fruits of Belief Alone in Jesus. He was a mass murderer and he took his own life and thought he would be saved by having a belief alone on Jesus. Of course others will cry in protest and say that they do not believe that way. But they will admit that a believer is not unsaved if they happen to stumble into a sin or two for a while. But how is that different than George? Did he not stumble into a few sins? Also, there are testimonies of Christians who took their own life thinking they would be saved as a result of OSAS or a Belief Alone in Jesus for salvation.

Second, the Belief Alone Proponent does not believe they will overcome grievous sin in this life, as well. They believe they will always sin as per 1 John 1:8 (even though it is spoken in the present tense and not the future tense). So they are admitting that they will sin again as a matter of fact. This is willful sin, and it is very serious. Hebrews 10:26 says that if we willfully sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sin.

So the whole, "Hey, we do works, too" does not mean anything. Jesus said to those Christians who did wonderful works to depart from Him because they also worked iniquity (or sin) (See Matthew 7:23).

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟86,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
To All Who Will Hear:

It is claimed by some Belief Alone Proponents that Faith Alone is not a loophole to sin without sorrow.
i disagree. First, I have talked with some Belief Alone Proponents who believe they can sin without impunity. Several Belief Alone Proponents admitted to me that they could mow down a crowd of people with a submachine gun and still be saved while doing so. One person admitted this to me in person even.

Also, George Sodini is a prime example of the fruits of Belief Alone in Jesus. He was a mass murderer and he took his own life and thought he would be saved by having a belief alone on Jesus. Of course others will cry in protest and say that they do not believe that way. But they will admit that a believer is not unsaved if they happen to stumble into a sin or two for a while. But how is that different than George? Did he not stumble into a few sins? Also, there are testimonies of Christians who took their own life thinking they would be saved as a result of OSAS or a Belief Alone in Jesus for salvation.

Second, the Belief Alone Proponent does not believe they will overcome grievous sin in this life, as well. They believe they will always sin as per 1 John 1:8 (even though it is spoken in the present tense and not the future tense). So they are admitting that they will sin again as a matter of fact. This is willful sin, and it is very serious. Hebrews 10:26 says that if we willfully sin after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sin.

So the whole, "Hey, we do works, too" does not mean anything. Jesus said to those Christians who did wonderful works to depart from Him because they also worked iniquity (or sin) (See Matthew 7:23).

This is becoming quite disconcerting. Confess now...

Is the Cross of Christ sufficient to save?
Is it right teaching to exalt our Flesh?
Is Jesus Christ God the Son?
Did God the Son suffer and Die for our sins?

I'm not kidding. Can you answer these questions?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
To All Who Will Hear:

In fact, most Belief Alone Proponents will turn back around and say that you can sin a little bit and still be saved on some level by having a belief alone on Jesus as long as you generally live a holy life. For they say that sin does not separate them from God. They believe that if they sin, they do not lose their salvation. So what of holy living then? It is non-existent. If one believes they can sin and still be saved, then there is no incentive to actually live holy. Some will cry out otherwise, but what of those who hear their message that says they can sin a little and still be saved? What if those who hear their message decide to sin all the time and think they are saved? Are they still saved because they started sinning too much vs. sinning a little? Does a smaller amount of serious sin really make the situation morally better than say a person who commits bad sin all the time? Will not those who preached to them that they are saved despite being in sin be responsible?

It seems we both agree that a good tree bears good fruit (salvation) and a bad tree bears bad fruit. The issue is whether good fruit is the bases for justification. Or just the evidence and result of salvation. You and others who hold to your belief of works righteousness believe fruit justifies a person in the end. Sola fide says that Christs and His works are the basis for justification. Sola fide teaches salvation in Christ alone apart from your works. You and others teach salvation is a cooperative effort between you and God. One is the true gospel of grace. The other, an accursed gospel of self righteousness that saves no one. Sola fide glorifies Christ as Savior. This is why Catholicism anathematized sola fide. You agree with popery

• Informative
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟86,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The very verse about A and S condemns HOLDING BACK THE PRICE OF THE LAND.

This is specifically a Spiritual Metaphor for investing into ones own flesh, with the Gospel!!

I'm not okay with the teaching that is occurring.

Jesus is sufficient! This is beginning to be quite frightening!

• Agree
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To All Who Will Hear:

The situation with Ananias and Sapphira proves that sin can destroy your salvation.
A great fear fell upon all who heard about their death, including the church.
So if you were to put on your detective hat and think about the motivations involved, it does not make any sense for the church to be in fear over their death if they:

(a) Thought Ananias and Sapphira were never saved.
(b) Thought Ananias and Sapphira were saved.

The only reason they would experience fear is if they knew that something similar could happen to them.
Hence, why Scripture says work out your salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12).
Why all the trembling if the Scripture is not talking about fear?
Again, the Bible has to be twisted beyond recognition in order to make a Belief Alone type gospel work.
It just doesn't make sense in light of reading the Bible plainly.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
To All Who Will Hear:

Has God personally directed you to judge who is saved and who is not.

• Winner
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0