JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
In another thread I was asked about Sodom and Gomorrah and how archeologists show that the Bible is true. Here is a discription of the History Channel's DVD that they have available on that program:

HISTORY'S MYSTERIESTM ventures to the sites where archeologists have recently discovered the remains of two ancient cities: Bab-edh-dhra and Numeira. Their location, plus evidence of fire and collapse, has given birth to speculation: could they be the actual Sodom and Gomorrah? This speculation was given new life when a sanctuary was found in a nearby mountain, built beside an ancient cave. An inscription revealed that it was a shrine to Lot (who took refuge in a cave after he made his escape from the doomed city). Join leading scholars and the archeologists working on the site as they explore the implications of this new discovery and speculate on the origins of the biblical tale.
sg-numeira.jpg

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Abongil said:
Basically there is not one person or piece of evidence that can show the Bible is true. Peopel ahve been looking for it for thosuands of years, but they havnt found it because it doesnt exist.

The only way you can say that is to stick your head in the sand and ignore the truth. If you do not want to live in the real world, that is up to you, it is your choice.

Upvote 0

Abongil

Veteran
May 3, 2006
✟16,603.00
Faith
Atheist
JohnR7 said:
The only way you can say that is to stick your head in the sand and ignore the truth. If you do not want to live in the real world, that is up to you, it is your choice.

Or is it you with your head stuck in the sand listening to your little story book that you put so much faith in. NOTHING can prove the Bible right.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Abongil said:
NOTHING can prove the Bible right.

Oh, I believe that nothing can prove the truth to you, because you live in deception and do not want to walk in the truth. That is your choice. God gives you the option of being able to do that.

Upvote 0

shmolex

May 5, 2006
✟7,633.00
Faith
Atheist
JohnR7 said:
Oh, I believe that nothing can prove the truth to you, because you live in deception and do not want to walk in the truth. That is your choice. God gives you the option of being able to do that.
if something could prove the bible right, then wouldn't that force people to believe in God through reason and not faith?

Doesn't that contradict the whole point of religion?

Reactions: BigToe
Upvote 0

Prince Lucianus

Old Goth
Jul 29, 2004
Amsterdam
✟16,843.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

The archaeologists found thick ash layers all around the city, burned roof timbers, and walls that had collapsed. There were even freshly picked grapes with their skins still intact. These had been carbonized by the conflagration that destroyed the town, and helped establish that it had come to an end in the late summer or early autumn. The doorways in Numeira were blocked with stones, which was interpreted as possible evidence that its inhabitants might have anticipated some kind of earthquake or natural disaster and evacuated, perhaps expecting to return at a later date. Indeed most of the homes had none of the small items that are typically found at a dig, such as jewelry, and no human remains were located in the debris.

http://www.nd.edu/~edsp/babedhdrah.html gives a pretty well documented description of the excavations.

Lucy

Upvote 0

fromdownunder

Apr 21, 2006
✟9,024.00
Faith
Atheist
Lord_Marx said:
So speculation about history is acceptable but speculation about biology is not?

Speculation about history is fine, as long as it does not turn up as unsupported "facts" in history textbooks, and taught in history classes.

Speculation about biology is fine, as long as it does not turn up as unsupported "facts" in biology textbooks and taught in biology classes.

Norm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
shmolex said:
if something could prove the bible right, then wouldn't that force people to believe in God through reason and not faith?

Doesn't that contradict the whole point of religion?

Yes, it would. In Old Testament days no one tried to claim there was no God. But that did not cause them to live their lives in a way that was pleasing to Him. Up to 97% of the people believe there is a God. But that does not always cause them to live right.

Upvote 0

Lord_Marx

Apr 19, 2006
✟16,421.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
fromdownunder said:
Speculation about history is fine, as long as it does not turn up as unsupported "facts" in history textbooks, and taught in history classes.

Speculation about biology is fine, as long as it does not turn up as unsupported "facts" in biology textbooks and taught in biology classes.

Norm

I was mostly asking Creationists because many of them say that evolution is not a reliable theory because we cannot experience it first hand and it is just a "guess". They then turn around and use significantly less supported "guesses" in order to prove the Bible.

Upvote 0

Abongil

Veteran
May 3, 2006
✟16,603.00
Faith
Atheist
JohnR7 said:

Naw, I am not in deception. I am perfectly content with the fact taht I will cease to exist when I die, are you?

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Abongil said:
Naw, I am not in deception. I am perfectly content with the fact taht I will cease to exist when I die, are you?

It is fine with me, I do not care one way or the other. Just do not be so sure that your sin will not find you out and you will sow what you reap. I believe we all get exactly what we want in the end. If you want to be annilated, then I am sure God will oblige you.

Upvote 0

KittyPryde

Jan 8, 2006
✟8,459.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
{off topic begin}
Is it more important to prove Biblical structures really existed than living and learning from the lessons documented in the Bible?

It is nice to know that artifacts from the past are found, but this doesn't really have much affect on my life.
In my mind, uncovering lost written Biblical documents has a greater impact on my life.
{off topic end}

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Abongil

Veteran
May 3, 2006
✟16,603.00
Faith
Atheist
JohnR7 said:
It is fine with me, I do not care one way or the other. Just do not be so sure that your sin will not find you out and you will sow what you reap. I believe we all get exactly what we want in the end. If you want to be annilated, then I am sure God will oblige you.

Look, all I am saying is nothing can prove the Bible is correct. We can say a lot about the past, and we can beleive it was 99% accurate, but nobody alive today was tehre so we dont really know what happened with 100% certainty.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Abongil said:
Look, all I am saying is nothing can prove the Bible is correct.

Leviticus 24:2
"Command the children of Israel that they bring to you pure oil of pressed olives for the light, to make the lamps burn continually.

The Bible says to use pure oil in your lamp. Are you saying this is not "correct"? Should they use contaimated oil in their lamp? We are told that if they do not use pure oil, the lamp will not burn continually. I would think that means they will have to clean it a lot more often.

There is a lot of truth in the Bible. Does that make it all true? Maybe yes, maybe no. But your attempt to try and say there is no truth in the Bible is pure deception on your part. The Bible is filled with truth and the vast majority of people realize and recognize that.

Matthew 7:6
Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.

Upvote 0

BVZ

Jan 11, 2006
✟8,232.00
Faith
Christian
Heres a question for you, why focus in this particular city? The bible speaks about many cities. Like for instance.... Rome. I think they found Rome. Does this prove the bible? No.

I am not saying that it is impossible to prove the bible. All I am saying is that it has not been done yet. If you beleive in the bible, you do so based on faith. Faith is the key John, you should know this.

Why use an excavation of a city spoken of in the bible that MAY have been the city, when you can use a city that is actually still existing, and you know for a FACT that it is the same city? (Rome.)

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
KittyPryde said:
It is nice to know that artifacts from the past are found, but this doesn't really have much affect on my life.

These are just examples of where science will verify that the Bible is true. The Bible is filled to overflowing with the truth. So there is a lOT of truth in the Bible that science can verify that would have a positive impact on your life. For example, the Bible tells us to cut the fat and do not eat animal fat. Science will tell you the same thing, animal fat is not healthy to eat.

The Bible tells us that we are to be concerned with our "inner" beauty and not just the outside appearance of things. Would you deny that it is not always the best to be superficial?

Proverbs 30:5

Every word of God is pure;
He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
BVZ said:
The bible speaks about many cities. Like for instance.... Rome. I think they found Rome. Does this prove the bible? No.

If that were the case, then my arguement would be that the Bible proves the Bible. That is NOT my arguement. My arguement is that there is LOTS of scientific evidence for the Bible. That does not prove that all of it is true. But I think people would be surprised at how much of it science can prove is true.

For example, Paul in the Bible went to Mars Hill in Rome. This is where he met the Athenian philosophers. The hill overlooks the ancient Agora or marketplace. If you were to go to Rome, they may take you to Mars Hill as a part of your tour. It is a real place that science can verify that is still there today. This is yet another example of something the Bible says that is true and can be verified.

There is a lot of truth in the Bible that we can verify. Science may not be able to verify ALL of the Bible, but that does not mean we should ignore what science can verify. Science does not always use faith. If you use faith, then all of the Bible can be verified.

Even if you look at the question of faith. Every drug test there is has a control group. It has been shown again and again that 1/3 of the people that take a placebo show improvement, they get better. This is absolute scientific proof that even having faith in a pill works. How much more will you get results when you put faith and confidence in the living God?

Upvote 0