Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm flipping through channels and find two people arguing over whether an extremely loud and disruptive group is a mob or not.

It's a mob!
It's not a mob!
It is too a mob!
Stop calling it a mob!

When does a group become a mob?

Reactions: Gigimo

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm flipping through channels and find two people arguing over whether an extremely loud and disruptive group is a mob or not.

It's a mob!
It's not a mob!
It is too a mob!
Stop calling it a mob!

Not sure. But it appears "mob" became a talking point earlier this week. I wonder which Conservative think tank sent out an e-mail to everyone to use that particular word.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I think it's fair to say that when you ambush people in elevators to scream at them and claw at the doors of the Supreme Court you're already well into mob territory, but obviously there's disagreement among us.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's a mob!
It's not a mob!
It is too a mob!
Stop calling it a mob!

Dictionary definition of mob
mob
noun
a large crowd of people, especially one that is disorderly and intent on causing trouble or violence.
"a mob of protesters"
synonyms: crowd, horde, multitude, rabble, mass, throng, group, gang, gathering,
verb
crowd around (someone) in an unruly and excitable way in order to admire or attack them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yup it's a mob. It's funny we are fighting over an established definition. But then the left does like to do that. Remember that it depends on what your definition of "is" is.

Come on, now...Bill Clinton is positively right-wing by today's standards: He signed the Defense of Marriage Act into law, outlawing the possibility of homosexual marriage being legalized; he oversaw the enactment of free trade agreements (e.g. NAFTA); he "allegedly" sexually assaulted and/or harassed ladies...

Maybe if Trump leaves office soon enough, he and Bill can go on a speaking tour together...the "Grab 'Em By The Presidency Tour 2020". Maybe that will bring conservatives and liberals together, finally.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that using that now familiar phrase (what the definition of "is" is) means that the speaker is referring directly and only to Bill Clinton. Not any more than saying "Walk softly and carry a big stick" would have to mean that the speaker is extolling Theodore Roosevelt. ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Okay, but who else has said "it depends on what your definition of 'is' is"? Roosevelt himself apparently cited a West African proverb as the source of the famous saying that he is now credited with, implying that it must've had some currency as a generalized idiom before he much more famously said it himself, or at least that he wanted people to believe it did.

I'm pretty sure no one in the history of humanity before Bill Clinton (and no one in its history after him except those who intended their audience to understand it as a reference to his having said it) ever said "it depends on what your definition of 'is' is".

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yup it's a mob. It's funny we are fighting over an established definition. But then the left does like to do that. Remember that it depends on what your definition of "is" is.
Right wingers believe in alternative facts. I can see why they believe in alternative definitions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Right wingers believe in alternative facts. I can see why they believe in alternative definitions.

Left wingers believe in no facts, just emotion. So who on the left can tell?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Left wingers believe in no facts, just emotion. So who on the left can tell?
That's is an ironic falsehood. I can actually cite Kellyanne Conway claiming the are alternative facts, so it's not much of a stretch to conclude that alternative definitions are a thing. You, however, cannot find anyone on "the left" who avers the don't believe in facts, only emotion.

• Winner
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You, however, cannot find anyone on "the left" who avers the don't believe in facts, only emotion.

Hence our current conversation concerning droning masses of violent mobs.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Dictionary definition of mob
mob
noun
a large crowd of people, especially one that is disorderly and intent on causing trouble or violence.
"a mob of protesters"
synonyms: crowd, horde, multitude, rabble, mass, throng, group, gang, gathering,
verb
crowd around (someone) in an unruly and excitable way in order to admire or attack them.

You beat me to it!

Upvote 0