Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'm flipping through channels and find two people arguing over whether an extremely loud and disruptive group is a mob or not.

It's a mob!
It's not a mob!
It is too a mob!
Stop calling it a mob!

When does a group become a mob?

When it becomes disorderly and is intent on causing trouble or violence....

You can rant and rave all you like, unless that ranting and raving is intended to incite trouble or violence.... or does so unintentionally.... then it becomes a mob....

Which is why we have a constitution protecting peaceful gatherings....

"or the right of the people peaceably to assemble,"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hopperace

long forgotten host
Oct 20, 2006
✟125,971.00
Faith
Presbyterian
What if they're not violent but are merely loud and boisterous and have lit torches and pitchforks? 'Cause I could well imagine some may feel somewhat terrorised under such circumstances, and, well, things could easily escalate quite beyond consequences for which one might otherwise be prepared, and not just mentally.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No, violent inherently means physical.
A color can be violent or even 'loud' tho it is silent. Speech can get violent and even be very abusive. Don't believe me talk to a victim of spouse abuse that has never even had a hand put on them. Speech is very powerful, and can be extremely damaging. The same could be said of an individual that use postoring to intimidate and frequently throws objects or breaks/punches things. Violence does not necessarily have to be a physical act against one's person to create real damming effect in someone.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
A color can be violent or even 'loud' tho it is silent. Speech can get violent and even be very abusive. Don't believe me talk to a victim of spouse abuse that has never even had a hand put on them. Speech is very powerful, and can be extremely damaging. The same could be said of an individual that use postoring to intimidate and frequently throws objects or breaks/punches things. Violence does not necessarily have to be a physical act against one's person to create real damming effect in someone.

Think about what you’re actually saying in regards to a crowd. So basically any gathering of people who are passionate about the subject they’re protesting could be called a ‘violent mob’ by your standards? That seem like a good idea to you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Think about what you’re actually saying in regards to a crowd. So basically any gathering of people who are passionate about the subject they’re protesting could be called a ‘violent mob’ by your standards? That seem like a good idea to you?

Violent denotes abusive, or angrily passionate. Beating on walls, screaming in people's faces and following them into rooms aggressively is violent. Burning cars, throwing objects, and emotional abuse with language is violent. If you did the same to your wife and had the cops called your going to jail buddy.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Violent denotes abusive, or angrily passionate. Beating on walls, screaming in people's faces and following them into rooms aggressively is violent. Burning cars, throwing objects, and emotional abuse with language is violent. If you did the same to your wife and had the cops called your going to jail buddy.

So any protest that has passion can now be called a violent mob? So you basically want the constitutionally protested right to peaceful protest to be abolished? Or can people only protest in silence now?

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So any protest that has passion can now be called a violent mob? So you basically want the constitutionally protested right to peaceful protest to be abolished? Or can people only protest in silence now?

This is a protest:
upload_2018-10-14_6-38-8.png

A group of screeching angry people banging on walls, and threatening people is a mob.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is a protest:
View attachment 243282

A group of screeching angry people banging on walls, and threatening people is a mob.

Banging on walls is certainly violent. Threatening people is also violent (and a crime most places). You seemed to be going beyond that, into angry speech being violent however.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes violent. Violent does not always mean physical. Would you rather I used the term veheminate, or aggressively passionate?

Violence in the context of political protest does mean physical violence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Banging on walls is certainly violent. Threatening people is also violent (and a crime most places). You seemed to be going beyond that, into angry speech being violent however.

As I have said a million times speech is protected in America. If you honestly believe that is what I stand for, I invite you to use the search feature on this forum. I do not stand for the censure of speech.

Hunting people down to scream at, intimidate, and ridicule is violent behavior. Impending people's freedom of movement is violent behavior.

There is no way of condoning such actions and everyone knows the emotional and psychological harm it does to be oppressively hunted down and screamed at. Even more so when you are put in fear and denied the ability to leave the situation.

Just think about it. A man hunts down his wife while she is at a restaurant, screams and rants at her in front of everyone forcing her to leave. When they are home he puts holes in the walls, flips furniture, and forces her into a corner and screams at her for hours telling her all sorts of lies and horrible things. Oh but the saving grace is he never got 'violent', right?

upload_2018-10-15_13-21-13.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As I recall the founding fathers regarded Democracy as mob rule. There is a collective psychology to a mob, people can be whipped up into a frenzy they would not normally give into. A nob tends to be roiting, breakingbthing, throwing things, setting things on fire. I remeber in the 70s the Congress had a committe that concluded riots are the single greatest treat to domestic security and with a few exceptions nost werent that bad. There was the famous Watts riot, Kent State and that massive LA riot over the Rodney King decision.

I guess you could say what is a 'mob' is in the eyes of the beholder. It could also depend on which side of the buisness end of an angry crowd your on

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hunting people down to scream at, intimidate, and ridicule is violent behavior. Impending people's freedom of movement is violent behavior.

How about standing outside congress shouting at specific congress members as part of a protest? Is that 'hunting people down to scream at' and therefore should be banned? How are we defining screaming incidentally, does chanting or shouting also count if its loud or shrill enough? How about impeding freedom of movement, would that also include say a large crowd of African Americans marching across a bridge thus blocking people's ability to drive across? Is that to be considered a violent protest?

If you're going to expand the definition of violent, it would be useful to understand exactly how far you intend to take that.

Upvote 0