So I was watching this young preacher online and...

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Some people, especially preachers, believe that we will have a revival. What would your definition of revival be? Personally, I don't think that we will have a revival. The Bible mentions an apostasy or a great falling away. Why do some people feel the opposite way that I do? Do you think that the revival is based on false teaching? The title seems like a silly question, but nowhere does the Bible states that we will have a revival in my opinion. However, I would like to be corrected on this, if it is possible. Where in the Bible in your opinion does it say we will have a revival?

Reactions: BeStill&Know

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Some people, especially preachers, believe that we will have a revival. What would your definition of revival be? Personally, I don't think that we will have a revival. The Bible mentions an apostasy or a great falling away. Why do some people feel the opposite way that I do? Do you think that the revival is based on false teaching? The title seems like a silly question, but nowhere does the Bible states that we will have a revival in my opinion. However, I would like to be corrected on this, if it is possible. Where in the Bible in your opinion does it say we will have a revival?
We will have a revival, but it will be apostate, setting the stage for anti-Christ, just my opinion...

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
He would only be wrong if he was saying this revival would happen during the end of days because it seems like Saint Paul taught against this. A revival happening at some random point in time would not contradict anything. I don't see anything wrong with what he said if that is his personal opinion.

Upvote 0

Tina W

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona, USA
✟20,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Revivals are possible I don't understand why some people think they are not. God could bring a revival just before the antichrist comes, like the quiet before the storm type thing. He could give us one last mighty outpouring just before all hell breaks loose. Or He could send a revival any time, not just because the antichrist is coming.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Some people, especially preachers, believe that we will have a revival. What would your definition of revival be? Personally, I don't think that we will have a revival.
The Unites States has had several in its short history. They were called Great Awakenings.
The Bible mentions an apostasy or a great falling away.
Which passage(s) are you referring to?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Revival is a tricky concept. An increase in authentic Gospel preaching is a good thing, that would be real revival.

Revivalism, as was seen in 19th century America, with Charles Finney and similar while called "revival" is little more than mass emotional and spiritual manipulation that results not in a faithful confession of the Gospel, but in a faux spirituality and superficial religion. Which remains the single biggest problem today in contemporary American Christianity.

What is important is a Church faithful to the Gospel, the numbers game is not important.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

What would my definition of revival be? Well, I've actually witnessed revival happen and it was not as has been described in this thread. Some revivals - perhaps most these days - are hyper charismatic events counterfeiting real revival (and not very well, I must say), but the revival I've seen was marked primarily by confession of sin and a full surrender of people's lives to God. What happened was a purifying of believers, not "miracles," and the usual cacophony of noise, and bizarre behaviour that always accompanies counterfeit revival. This confession of sin and getting right with God would go on for days at a time; believers would be freed of demonic oppression that they had unwittingly invited into their lives by participation in occult practices (seances, ouija board use, tarot card, palm and tea leaf readings, horoscopes, etc.); others would see the fleshly way they had been trying to live for God, the carnality of their spirituality, and yield themselves living sacrifices to God and many of the unbelievers looking on would be saved. This real revival was characterized by a return to holiness, and death to Self, tears of repentance, and a deep, deep joy in renewed fellowship with God. Not once did anyone speak in tongues, or get slain in the Spirit, or begin to laugh hysterically, or bray like a donkey. The revival I witnessed was God cleaning house and reviving his people to a deep, rich, joyful fellowship with Himself.

Will there be a final great revival? Well, those who hold to dominion theology (which is very popular among hyper-charismatics) might think so, but I don't see much basis for such thinking in Scripture. The Bible warns of quite the opposite happening as the End of Days draws near.

Do I think that revival is based on false teaching? Much of it, yes. But not all. Satan has managed to make a mad circus out of revival so that what most people understand as revival today is a ridiculous perversion of the real thing.

There isn't really much scriptural ground at all for contending for a doctrine of revival. I would not say, then, that the Bible teaches revival. But the phenomenon of revival is quite real. I suppose one could use other terms to describe the revival I've seen but "revival" works well enough.

Selah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Revivals are possible I don't understand why some people think they are not.
Have you looked around you lately? When apostasy is overtaking Christendom, how can there possibly be revival? The pre-requisite for revival is repentance.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it is a hard subject because there are many warnings about false teachers in the end-times and I think that we are in the end-times. Jesus Himself warns us
Exactly. And Paul added to that and said that seducers will wax WORSE AND WORSE. Those seducers are all around us.

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are there any verses that say revival in the last days? I don't recall. I think there may be one if there is a major catastrophe in the US, greater than Katrina and 911 combined. We all here know most people would repent and seek the Lord but revert when things smoothed out in time, unfortunately.
12074647_446878145500856_5306968919326689041_n.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What would my definition of revival be? Well, I've actually witnessed revival happen and it was not as has been described in this thread. Some revivals - perhaps most these days - are hyper charismatic events counterfeiting real revival (and not very well, I must say), but the revival I've seen was marked primarily by confession of sin and a full surrender of people's lives to God. What happened was a purifying of believers, not "miracles," and the usual cacophony of noise, and bizarre behaviour that always accompanies counterfeit revival. This confession of sin and getting right with God would go on for days at a time; believers would be freed of demonic oppression that they had unwittingly invited into their lives by participation in occult practices (seances, ouija board use, tarot card, palm and tea leaf readings, horoscopes, etc.); others would see the fleshly way they had been trying to live for God, the carnality of their spirituality, and yield themselves living sacrifices to God and many of the unbelievers looking on would be saved. This real revival was characterized by a return to holiness, and death to Self, tears of repentance, and a deep, deep joy in renewed fellowship with God. Not once did anyone speak in tongues, or get slain in the Spirit, or begin to laugh hysterically, or bray like a donkey. The revival I witnessed was God cleaning house and reviving his people to a deep, rich, joyful fellowship with Himself.

Will there be a final great revival? Well, those who hold to dominion theology (which is very popular among hyper-charismatics) might think so, but I don't see much basis for such thinking in Scripture. The Bible warns of quite the opposite happening as the End of Days draws near.

Do I think that revival is based on false teaching? Much of it, yes. But not all. Satan has managed to make a mad circus out of revival so that what most people understand as revival today is a ridiculous perversion of the real thing.

There isn't really much scriptural ground at all for contending for a doctrine of revival. I would not say, then, that the Bible teaches revival. But the phenomenon of revival is quite real. I suppose one could use other terms to describe the revival I've seen but "revival" works well enough.

Selah.
I think much of the revival rhetoric is dominionism like you said. I don't believe it like it at all.

Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Unites States has had several in its short history. They were called Great Awakenings.

Which passage(s) are you referring to?

I believe that Matthew 24 describes an apostasy, at least in my opinion. Some would call it a great falling away or apostasy. I am not so sure that based on those verses alone, there will be false revivals, meaning that many people will be deceived into thinking that there will be a great awakening because they were rather, deceived. I personally believe that a real revival based on the true gospel will not happen except among a few. Maybe I am wrong, but I doubt that there will be such an awakening because of false religions which will abound. I have noticed that there are some false teachers, or at least true preachers whose views I don't agree with, who believe in a revival. Maybe there will be a revival in some cases, but I am not so sure.

Matthew 24:10-13
"10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The fact is, though, that in the long history of Christianity, there have been periods of decline and other periods of renewed vitality, reform, and expansion. The term "revival" is often applied to the latter. While there is a predicted apostasy, we don't know when that will be, and in the meantime, it is likely that the pattern of ups and downs will continue.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry whats SOP?

Well if we look in the Bible revival is what happens when God says to dry bones make these bones live. The dead become alive. Its Lazarus awakening from his sleep. In spiritual terms its us throwing off our graveclothes, where we were once bound, now we are free.

I agree with what aiki wrote.

As for whole church revival, well one cant have it without repentence. Sometimes groups of people will fast and pray, then revival happens after that. I dont know too much about other churches talking about revival as in predicting its coming for everybody without actually repenting. Ive never seen it happen like its been reported, but then i havent been a christian that long. I have seen weird happenings in some churches eg where people get pushed over by the preacher, and i just think thats false. Well I know its false, because they actually do forcibly push you.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0