So I was sitting watching television when...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmm, I haven't had anyone come to my door here but when I lived in a bigger city it was a once a week thing. A friend of mine is having a difficult time because she is Christian, and her husband has become a Watch Tower Jehoviah's Witness, pretty scary stuff they believe. I remain open minded and if a JW wants to share their beliefs, than I'll share mine.

Upvote 0

Gospel Trafficker

Trafficking the Gospel to parts unknown!
Jul 3, 2005
North Carolina
✟16,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Tell them you are appostate and they will never come back....Appostate means you were once a member and are no longer so they must shun you!

Why would you reject the oppertunityto share the true Gospel? Its not often that people come to the door to discuss the Gospel.. Even if it isnt a true one, so why not give them the truth.

Upvote 0

Phats

Jul 26, 2005
Ole Virginny
✟15,173.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had a neighbor who as a retired black Baptist preacher. He told us that JW's were not allowed to be led in prayer by a non-JW. He would chase them down the street, belly flopping over his shorts, praying for them in a loud booming voice "Lawd Jesus save these unrighteous sinners from Satan....".

We rarely ever saw them in our neighborhood. I think the whole neighborhood was on the Bad List.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SandyLou

The Order of the Candle
Mar 1, 2004
Lakeland, FL
Visit site
✟2,869.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
UNCHURCHED said:
Why would you reject the oppertunityto share the true Gospel? Its not often that people come to the door to discuss the Gospel.. Even if it isnt a true one, so why not give them the truth.

hmmm. . . because they won't listen?

Upvote 0

JCrawf

Nov 6, 2004
✟12,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Never had a JW come to my door. Used to see Mormon missionaries (I call them the 'men in black on bicycles') and had Mormon friends, but they never tried to convert me. The first time I had anyone come up to me were a couple of people in college that had something to do with some type of non-denominational fellowship thing. I was in the college library studying for a class when they came up to me and started general talk. Then they asked the question of whether I ever asked Jesus in my life.

The only thing that kind of disturbed me is that they seemed to have the presumption that I was living an un-Godly life and they never even knew me before that conversation! I wasn't even a Catholic then, so it couldn't have been any sort of anti-Catholicism or anything. Can't tell you how that struck at me, but I kept my patience and allowed them to pray for me, and I said a prayer for them, and then they left. In being able to keep from letting them get to me regarding the level of Godliness that they judged was lacking in me, as well as being charitable are things that I felt was good about that encounter.

Pax Vobiscum,

John

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Phats said:
I had a neighbor who as a retired black Baptist preacher. He told us that JW's were not allowed to be led in prayer by a non-JW. He would chase them down the street, belly flopping over his shorts, praying for them in a loud booming voice "Lawd Jesus save these unrighteous sinners from Satan....".

We rarely ever saw them in our neighborhood. I think the whole neighborhood was on the Bad List.
LOL..what a site that musta been!:D

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SandyLou said:

great answer. The bible says "dont cast your pearls before swine"

I spent an entire year studying with the JW's and had my baptism all set up and everything when God got a hold of me and pulled me out of there! They use alot of double speak..when they use Christian terms it means something completely different than what you think it means..its very deceptive and i wouldnt suggest an untrained theologian making an attempt to even talk to them, its fruitless!

Upvote 0

JCrawf

Nov 6, 2004
✟12,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
karenmarie said:
...i wouldnt suggest an untrained theologian making an attempt to even talk to them, its fruitless!

Indeed. If a person isn't well-versed in the Bible, it can be hard to to talk to anyone, let alone JWs in regards to faith.

Pax Tecum,

John

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ric

1 John 5:13
Feb 6, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
faithgirl said:
Jehovah's Witnesses drive up. I have to be honest I really didn't know anything about them. I should of immediatly turned them away but instead I listened. Later, I looked up what they stand for and I am astonished! Sorry had to vent..

Yes, they are quite scary!

Five Important Facts About Jehovah’s Witnesses:

There are five important facts to remember about the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Watchtower Organization.

1. They have accepted the Organization as the prophet of God.
2. They have accepted the Organization as God’s sole channel for His truth.
3. They believe that to reject the Organization is to reject God.
4. They believe that only the Organization can interpret the Bible; as individuals they are unable to do so.
5. They believe that the Watchtower magazine contains God’s truth, directed by Him, through the Organization.

Conflict with Christianity
What does the Organization and the Watchtower magazine teach that is in conflict with orthodox Christianity?
1. That Jesus is a created being—a creature.
2. That Jesus is actually Michael the Archangel.
3. That Jesus was not resurrected bodily, but as a spirit being.
4. That Jesus returned invisibly in 1914 (secretly to the Organization).
5. That Jesus was only a man when on earth, not "the Word become flesh."
6. That the Holy Spirit is only an active force, not the Person of God.
7. That hell is simply the grave.
8. That heaven’s doors are open to only 144,000 people.
9. That the majority of Witnesses must remain on earth.
10. That salvation is found only through the Organization.
11. That salvation can be maintained only by energetic works for the Organization until the end, when one may then merit eternal life on a paradise earth.
12. That Satan is the author of the doctrine of the trinity.
13. That Jesus cannot be given worship, but only honor as Jehovah’s first creation.

Upvote 0
C

catlover

WOW!! I wish I could have attended THAT preachers church!!!

I bet there would have been some inspiring sermons!

Upvote 0

zoziw

a mari usque ad mare
Jun 28, 2003
✟11,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SandyLou said:

Bingo!!

When these people come to your door they aren't just acting as people you would meet at work or something, they are acting as knights of their beliefs.

They aren't there to be witnessed to, they are there to witness to you, they train and practice quite a bit and are very good at it.

All any JW has to do to see the truth is to start reading the gospels without making constant reference to Watchtower materials. Until they reach the point that they are ready to do that they aren't going to listen to what you have to say.

In my experience, it is better to invest your witnessing time and training so that you feel comfortable welcoming visitors to your church and addressing their questions.

I wasted too much time arguing with atheists and cultists in my early twenties and getting no where. When I started focusing on the visitors who showed up at church I not only had more success with witnessing, I also gained a lot of friends.

Those are my thoughts on the issue. :)

Upvote 0

Onesimus85

Jan 7, 2005
For now, Earth
✟1,075.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe that I have seen any JW in my area. We had a few come by when I was picking up trash on a road with service fraternity. Our faculty advisor was driving the truck to get the trash. Before the JWs could get to all of us the advisor pulled over beside the JWs and told them that he wanted to tell THEM what HE believed. Then he suggested that they leave us alone.. lol.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.