Sleep paralysis and shadow people(evil spirits)

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Putting a name to something or translating it into a psychological paradigm may sometimes be a distortion of what actually took place. What you call sleep paralysis refers to a twilight zone between waking and sleeping in which alternate dimensions of reality are sometimes glimpsed. Christians believe that God can talk to us in dreams or wide awake and so also the demonic has access to both these states of being so it would not matter either way.

It's not what I call sleep paralysis... it's a real thing. People are paralysed (like when they dream), and dream on top of what they would normally see if fully awake.

Why would you think being in between sleep and awake would be a glimpse into other parts of reality? We know that in sleep you dream, and those dreams aren't real. If you are half asleep, then it makes sense that you might dream things that aren't really there.

Maybe God and demons can affect people, but that isn't a reason to think that an experience actually is demons just because it looks like what you think might be a demon. If you are half-asleep then you are probably dreaming.

I would be liar if I denied what I saw and its meaning was all too clear to me at the time.

You don't have to deny what you saw, but a meaning feeling clear doesn't make it so.

Psychology altooften seeks to explain without understanding the real event. There are greater things in heaven and on earth than can be generated from our own pyschological bubbles of reality.

Well so you claim, but psychology does explain a lot and understand what is going on.

Psychology is not a science and nor can it reduce the study of our consciousness to its own terms.

I agree that consciousness is a difficult subject.

Upvote 0

Irod Sama

Dec 21, 2013
✟15,128.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Ok then you claim that its figures in your dreams you see when you're not fully awake, time for me to prove you wrong. The last time i experienced sleep paralysis i chose to do nothing for a while. To see if your theory of mind and half sleep and half wake, seeing images from your dreams and what not is true. Cause many others like you told me the same thing. So i woke up immobilised (as normal) i didnt fight up as much just lay there to see how long it would take for me to fully ''wake up'' my consiousness is as clear as a bell. I can hear everything going on outside, i just couldn't move all the while i kept feeling the presence of something in the room still laying there got fed up looked and saw the last creature i ever saw. It stared at me with it's blacked out eyes and wide open mouth smile. I was more annoyed than scared cuz by then i'm kinda used to them. Looked at each other for about 30-45 seconds. I got fed up cuz it was near 10 minutes and i still couldn't move. When i started praying in jesus name it got annoyed and i felt a suffocating feeling like the air being suck out the room, after he disappeared then i could have moved again, i flew up same speed. If what you are saying is true, then why does the paralysis spells only break in jesus name? Why the creaturss only dissapear i. Jesus name? I want science to explain that.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Ok then you claim that its figures in your dreams you see when you're not fully awake, time for me to prove you wrong. The last time i experienced sleep paralysis i chose to do nothing for a while. To see if your theory of mind and half sleep and half wake, seeing images from your dreams and what not is true. Cause many others like you told me the same thing. So i woke up immobilised (as normal) i didnt fight up as much just lay there to see how long it would take for me to fully ''wake up'' my consiousness is as clear as a bell. I can hear everything going on outside, i just couldn't move all the while i kept feeling the presence of something in the room still laying there got fed up looked and saw the last creature i ever saw. It stared at me with it's blacked out eyes and wide open mouth smile. I was more annoyed than scared cuz by then i'm kinda used to them. Looked at each other for about 30-45 seconds. I got fed up cuz it was near 10 minutes and i still couldn't move. When i started praying in jesus name it got annoyed and i felt a suffocating feeling like the air being suck out the room, after he disappeared then i could have moved again, i flew up same speed. If what you are saying is true, then why does the paralysis spells only break in jesus name? Why the creaturss only dissapear i. Jesus name? I want science to explain that.

The attitude or state of mind you have when using Jesus name? Coincidence?

Why do people get through sleep paralysis without Jesus' name?

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
they say its called sleep paralysis and its educed by demonic spirits.

It's not induced by anything supernatural. It's a perfectly natural condition. The entities that you experience are no more real than dreams, and have pretty much the same source -- your unconscious mind.

If what you are saying is true, then why does the paralysis spells only break in jesus name? Why the creaturss only dissapear i. Jesus name? I want science to explain that.

Why wouldn't it break in Jesus's name for you personally, since your subconscious mind gives power to that name?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DiceRider

Waking Up
Dec 23, 2013
On a lonely road
✟15,307.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I had that a few times a while back, I was suddenly drowsy and needed to lay down fast. I laid on the lounge and within ten mins or so when I felt ok to get up. I found I couldnt open my eyes or move my arms or legs etc. I saw the shadows of people that lived with me walking past me, heard them and couldnt let them know I wasnt asleep but trapped. It was frightening as hell. But it was not demons it was epileptic activity bought on by severe stress... I had tests at the sleep clinic for narcolepsy etc and was alerted to what it was then. Its not narcolepsy as such but a relation to it. ..Cured by monitoring stress. .. not everything is demons lol

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Ok to the majority oqf ppl that say it aint spiritual and i was dreaming while not fully awake how do you explain the 1st 2 instances i wasnt asleep, i was awake and about. I saw the stick man thing while sitting on the back porch, no where near sleep. It looked at me and ran back. The second was on my job. I was loading goods on my trolleyam when i spun round i was directly behind my trolley just looking at me. It was maybe lil more than arms lenght away. If i'm busy working when would i get time to dream up such stuff. @mindlight thanks for understanding and i'm glad to hear it stopped botherig you. I told a friend on work and he think its a djinn. So i did research so S.P and the spirits that cause them. The most common is the shadow people, they feed on negative emotions like jealousy and fear, the second is the hat man, shadowy image like a shadow person but it wears a hat like a fidora and wears a cloak. They say theres a difference between shadow people and hat men but iforgot.

Based on this new info, I'd change my.original guess of either sleep apnea or narcolepsy to just narcolepsy. A narcoleptic can have these occurrences while awake. Again, my.wife has had similar experiences (though hers always seem to involve spiders).

Why not get a sleep study done just to rule this out as a possibility? You have nothing to lose by this and everything to gain.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Probably you dreaming with your eyes open. It's really quite terrifying, however there is another thing that could be the cause. If that is the case, I would try some protective cures. Maybe protective salts around the bed. If you google you can find some other things if that isn't your bag. Good luck to you OP.

I forgot about that!!!

I once fell asleep with my eyes open!!! You're right. It can be quite scary.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Saying/thinking Jesus's name could incite the "placebo effect". Since you already believed it would work, that would be a logical explanation.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Since this seems to happen to you a lot...why not have someone in the room when you wake up? They can tell you if they observe the "spirit" too and confirm if it's real or all in your head.

If they see it as well you can both take the next step and record the incident.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I had this happen to me somewhere in the order of 30 or so times when I was in my early 20's and suffering from insomnia.

I never attributed it to demons though, the abnormal sleep patterns is what I think caused it so I would realize I had fallen asleep and my body wouldn't wake up normally.

The trick is that, instead of panicking, instead calm yourself and realize you can open your eyes and sleep paralysis will go away immediately. You have control over your eyes to open them unlike the rest of the muscles in your body.

I've also woken out of a deep sleep into an exact copy of my house and walked around in it. Usually it's pretty creepy and nothing works quite right and then you wake up again in bed, often with sleep paralysis.

These things happen to your mind when sleeping gets messed up, no need to get all superstitious about it (it'll only make the effects more difficult to deal with).

If you're seeing things when you're not asleep, then you are probably hallucinating, which is not all that uncommon if you are having sleeping difficulty. At around 24 hrs of insomnia you will start to see things, and with abnormal sleeping you can get sleep deprivation even if you are sleeping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you saying if i say anything else i think would work, it would work cuz i think so?

Not necessarily, the placebo effect usually works because the subject is unaware of the placebo effect.

You've been given several options for discovering the validity of these experiences being supernatural or not. I doubt you'll convince anyone who thinks it's natural that it isn't unless you try at least one of these methods of discovery.

Reactions: DiceRider
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,926.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was interested to see just how many cultures in the wikipedia article on this regard this as some kind of demonic intruder and indeed the names they give speak in terms of a ghost that presses you down. Also I was interested that the psychological theorising on this was quite complicated and as a result there was no clear cure or indeed evidence that psychotherapy is ever that effective with this phenomena.

Sleep paralysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I was interested to see just how many cultures in the wikipedia article on this regard this as some kind of demonic intruder and indeed the names they give speak in terms of a ghost that presses you down. Also I was interested that the psychological theorising on this was quite complicated and as a result there was no clear cure or indeed evidence that psychotherapy is ever that effective with this phenomena.

Sleep paralysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's just how people are.

Note, when I experienced this phenomena before ever hearing of it from anyone, I never even gave it a thought that it was supernatural in nature.

People are prone to insert their ways of thinking into their experience.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,254.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I had a lengthy period of insomnia awhile back. I began to hallucinate that I was a very handsome soap salesman who enjoyed fistfights, got into vandalism, started a private army and eventually blew up a city.

But seriously, I'm glad to see numerous others here have experienced this. I experienced it only once in life - woke up and found myself fighting off a being (demon?) on top of me. I've had unpleasant nightmares occasionally throughout life, but this was very different. I know I was awake, and I know something was there.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I had a lengthy period of insomnia awhile back. I began to hallucinate that I was a very handsome soap salesman who enjoyed fistfights, got into vandalism, started a private army and eventually blew up a city.

But seriously, I'm glad to see numerous others here have experienced this. I experienced it only once in life - woke up and found myself fighting off a being (demon?) on top of me. I've had unpleasant nightmares occasionally throughout life, but this was very different. I know I was awake, and I know something was there.

That's the really difficult thing about hallucinations. We spend our whole lives trusting that what we see/hear is real. You hear a story about someone who went crazy and thought that black helicopters were circling overhead...you tend to think "why couldn't he realize they weren't real?"

He thought they were real for the same reason the OP thinks his hallucinations were real. We trust our senses. We actually have a phrase for it..."seeing is believing". The OP and others here who believe what they saw aren't deluded or crazy, they just trust their senses in spite of what sounds logical/reasonable. What I don't understand though is why you wouldn't want to prove to everyone (and yourself) that what you're seeing is real and not hallucinatory.

Upvote 0