Sleep paralysis and shadow people(evil spirits)

PhantomGaze

Carry on my wayward son.
Aug 16, 2012
✟29,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's typical sleep paralysis. Even when your eyes are open you can hallucinate a little. Think of it as a good thing, because you wouldn't want demons bugging you anyway would you?

Furthermore, I doubt they would appear as Alien or Predator... just saying. What about "appears as an angel of light" don't you understand?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I know that I have these things and can think upon them and also that other people have the same capacity. Also since everyone is made in Gods image we share the same essential design.

So how do you think upon them without words? You see, I always think in either words or numbers...

Upvote 0

PhantomGaze

Carry on my wayward son.
Aug 16, 2012
✟29,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So how do you think upon them without words? You see, I always think in either words or numbers...

That's interesting. I can think in impressions, and feelings as well. Usually it happens when I am doing something very quickly. An impression can be a very complex thought. They're interesting for me to unravel and articulate later. But most of the time I'm the same way, with words and numbers. :)

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's interesting. I can think in impressions, and feelings as well. Usually it happens when I am doing something very quickly. An impression can be a very complex thought. They're interesting for me to unravel and articulate later. But most of the time I'm the same way, with words and numbers. :)

I tend to over-analyze any impression the moment I get it....but I don't consider feeling as a way of thinking, I see it as separate.

Upvote 0

PhantomGaze

Carry on my wayward son.
Aug 16, 2012
✟29,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I tend to over-analyze any impression the moment I get it....but I don't consider feeling as a way of thinking, I see it as separate.

I see. Have you ever read over an argument, and had the intuition it was wrong, but weren't quite sure why until you read it over once or twice again?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I see. Have you ever read over an argument, and had the intuition it was wrong, but weren't quite sure why until you read it over once or twice again?

If I have I certainly don't remember it. When I read something that I think is incorrect the reason(s) why it's incorrect seem to leap out at me. I don't have trouble spotting mistakes in other people's work (spotting mistakes in my work is another matter)

What you seem to be describing is personal bias/prejudice. An example would be-you read an argument and (as you put it) it "seems" wrong to you. Is it "intuition" as you say?...or is it that the argument is counter to your own personal biases and prejudices? We.like to think we're always being objective and fair...but if the argument contains no factual or logical mistakes and isn't based solely on opinion...I think it's more than likely your personal bias has gotten in the way. When you re-read it again and again, you're looking for mistakes that allow you to dismiss the argument and keep your bias. You'd rather rationalize that there must be something wrong with it so that you don't have to change your opinion on something that you already feel strongly about.

Upvote 0

PhantomGaze

Carry on my wayward son.
Aug 16, 2012
✟29,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I have I certainly don't remember it. When I read something that I think is incorrect the reason(s) why it's incorrect seem to leap out at me. I don't have trouble spotting mistakes in other people's work (spotting mistakes in my work is another matter)

What you seem to be describing is personal bias/prejudice. An example would be-you read an argument and (as you put it) it "seems" wrong to you. Is it "intuition" as you say?...or is it that the argument is counter to your own personal biases and prejudices? We.like to think we're always being objective and fair...but if the argument contains no factual or logical mistakes and isn't based solely on opinion...I think it's more than likely your personal bias has gotten in the way. When you re-read it again and again, you're looking for mistakes that allow you to dismiss the argument and keep your bias. You'd rather rationalize that there must be something wrong with it so that you don't have to change your opinion on something that you already feel strongly about.

I think I may have confused you. I wasn't speaking of reading something and disagreeing with it. It's pretty clear to me when I come across something I disagree with from an ideological standpoint. I was talking more about a logical discrepancy, or complex example of equivocation. Logical mistakes can be objectively demonstrated. Don't be so pretentious.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think I may have confused you. I wasn't speaking of reading something and disagreeing with it. It's pretty clear to me when I come across something I disagree with from an ideological standpoint. I was talking more about a logical discrepancy, or complex example of equivocation. Logical mistakes can be objectively demonstrated. Don't be so pretentious.

When you mentioned reading something and having the intuition it's wrong, I thought you meant having the "feeling" it's wrong...which would be an issue of personal bias. Now.you've made it clear that you meant "thinking" that the argument is wrong...and sure, I've done that.

I've read statements that I knew employed a logical fallacy, even though at the time I couldn't remember which fallacy it was. Still, what you're talking about is thinking...something done in words.

In all honesty I can say that every thought I've ever had I've verbalized in my mind with words. The notion that I, or anyone else, could do otherwise sounds silly to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,661.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That is probably not true.

My children and I would grunt at each other long before they were able to verbalise feelings. It was with some fascination that I watched my child develop a non verbal and non numerical awareness before they could speak. Also their frustration in knowing something or wanting something and not being able to articulate what that thing was was evidence of consciousness without the ability to verbalise whether internally or externally.

Also there are dreams and pictures in most peoples heads which when translated into words and numbers are in fact reduced from their original fullness and therefore miscommunicated.

One other common example is TV. I think you will find it possible to understand the gist of many foreign language TV films without understanding a word they are saying.

Upvote 0

AFM

Former Pseudo-Christian.
Jan 4, 2014
Hawaii
✟7,840.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
I'd like to contribute this towards the original topic;

I used to have a large amount of hallucinations when I was a kid. One time, for example, I saw probably several dozen birds appear out of nowhere, then walk a few feet or so, and disappear straight under a long light-bulb of ours. (It was positioned vertically, about 2 feet long I think.)

Another time I woke up in a tent and saw in the corner of my eye a woman and her daughter dressed in pure white.

Another time I was lying in bed, and I saw a tiny, half a foot long dog, perhaps. It was the most evil and terrifying dog I have ever seen, and it wasn't even real.

These were scary things. And I probably hallucinated maybe several dozen times, but those were the ones I can remember best. I would say that it was definitely demonic in nature. My Mom told me a few months back, I think, that she had eventually prayed and repented of some thing or other that had demonic association (I don't know what, nor if it was particularly demonic, but she repented of something), and apparently that's when they stopped. I don't see things anymore and don't think I have for years. Many years.

After all, nowhere in the NT does it mention demonic possession being permanently destroyed, and even in Acts they had demon-possessed people. It might help that my Mom and my step-dad used to do yoga. My mom doesn't anymore, but my stepdad does. (He's not Christian.)

The best thing I can say is; look for anything which may be associated with the occult or with demons and get rid of it. Or repent of any involvement you've had with such things in the past? I don't know if this'll help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
I have experienced this on many occassions, dating back to my childhood. The first time I can remember involved me being immobilised and a figure in with what appeared to be an executioner's hood looming over. When I awoke, terrified, I reimagined the figure as a protector and gave him an axe. I also thought up a couple of martial artists under the bed and some archers in the closet. This seemed to work - I did not feel threatened by this figure again when it appeared. (although I still suffered from the paralysis).

In adulthood, the figure varied. It usually appeared in the form of one of my friends. However, the scary feeling returned. I suffer from this now about once a year or so.

It is a fascinating experience (although not pleasant during it!).

It is also harmless.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I have experienced this on many occassions, dating back to my childhood. The first time I can remember involved me being immobilised and a figure in with what appeared to be an executioner's hood looming over. When I awoke, terrified, I reimagined the figure as a protector and gave him an axe. I also thought up a couple of martial artists under the bed and some archers in the closet. This seemed to work - I did not feel threatened by this figure again when it appeared. (although I still suffered from the paralysis).

In adulthood, the figure varied. It usually appeared in the form of one of my friends. However, the scary feeling returned. I suffer from this now about once a year or so.

It is also harmless.

The part where you added "protector" figures sounds like a lucid dreaming technique. I used that technique when I was a child much to the same success, without actually knowing it was a technique. I don't know if it's related, but I can't remember my last nightmare. It has to be at least a decade or more since I've had one.

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
I guess so, although I imagined my protectors prior to falling asleep again.

I think that I would sort of miss nightmares. And sleep paralysis. They are reminders of the fact that what we think we are is only a tiny part of the picture. And I enjoy relating my many zombie nightmares. :)

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I guess so, although I imagined my protectors prior to falling asleep again.

I think that I would sort of miss nightmares. And sleep paralysis. They are reminders of the fact that what we think we are is only a tiny part of the picture. And I enjoy relating my many zombie nightmares. :)

Well maybe I should clarify...it's not that I haven't had violent (even dangerously violent) or fantastically violent type disturbing dreams. I just wouldn't refer to them as nightmares if they didn't scare me at some point in the dream.

Upvote 0

Irod Sama

Dec 21, 2013
✟15,128.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single

It is also harmless.

As you mentioned that i remembered a time i awoke to a paralysis. i was awake i could hear whats taking place outside, i could see round my room just couldn't move. i saw a shadowy see through human like figure over me but it had the face of my 11 year old brother. when i started to pray against it i felt like a giant hand squeezing my belly like i was a toy in its hand. i just continued praying and it left

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 25, 2010
Japan
✟15,138.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I haven`t read through all the responses but wanted to add my own experience. I am a mother of three, been Christian half my life and I have experienced what you are describing to various degrees.

What makes these experiences very scary is their specifically demonic tone and dark nature. I never actually see things floating just have very dark, demonic dreams. They are very different from "simple" bad dreams or even nightmares. They try to convince me every time that they have a lot of power (which they don`t) and try to scare me away from Christ. I also experience the heavy pressure and paralysis and I usually try to scream but can only make weird noises. My husband tells me he usually knows in advance and that he wakes up as well.

Prayer, brother in Jesus`s name. He can help you. The more you win the more it loses it`s grip on you.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
I know that it is unlikely that I will get responses of that kind here, but I would really like to know if these "demonic scares" ever worked?

Has any Christian ever given in? Accepted the demonic presence that visits them in the nights? Said: "Heck, yes, scary black shapes watching me is exactly what I needed to forsake my Lord and Saviour!"?

I don't believe in demonic presences. I think that our brains and bodies explain such phenomena quite well.
And from the way they are presented, all these "demonic" stories heavily appear as people trying to sell a cure for an ailment they themselves invented.
I don't mean that as an act of conscious deception: mostly they are selling these stories to themselves.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2010
Japan
✟15,138.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
While they scare me they would never make me forsake my Lord. However, it does not make them any less real. There is a spiritual world, something we don`t see. I don`t try to find demons/angels everywhere. I am a Protestant Christian. However, to deny that the demons exist is exactly what the enemy is hoping for.

Just read Ephesians 6:10-20 and be prepared. That`s all.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
While they scare me they would never make me forsake my Lord.
I didn't mean to imply that you (or any other poster who told his experiences here) would lapse in this way.

But it seems to me that there must be some people like that. Or that whole concept would be totally bonkers.

See, people like me, who do not believe in demons, might be experiencing sleep paralysis or hallucinations (I personally do not experience any of these)... but we never get any demons or shadowy figures trying to convince us that they have a lot of power.

Some Christians say that this is because we are already pawns of Satan, and thus the demons do not need to work on us.

But if they constantly fail to convince Christians to "come to the Dark Side" (for the cookies, if not for the lots of power ;))... why do they bother at all? Are demons completely stupid? But if they are... why are they so good at not bothering unbelievers?

However, it does not make them any less real. There is a spiritual world, something we don`t see. I don`t try to find demons/angels everywhere. I am a Protestant Christian. However, to deny that the demons exist is exactly what the enemy is hoping for.

Just read Ephesians 6:10-20 and be prepared. That`s all.
No offence meant, but all that looks like a giant scam to me. People convincing themselves that a meaningless invocation has power over meaningless threats.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Sleep paralysis is a real disorder. However, that's not to say there isn't so kind of demonic influence. Perhaps it's a case of a person having a physical condition combined with something spiritual.

T.H. Lurhrman in her book "When God Talks Back" writes about how people can get so obsessed with spiritual warfare that they start seeing demons, even though they are technically not psychotic.

Rather than say dreams are unreal, I think they are a window into the unconscious mind, and sometimes they can tell us things about the state of our soul and we can have dreams that we interpret as divine messages. Paying attention to ones dreams is a good way to get more psychological integration.

Upvote 0