GordieHowe

May 3, 2010
✟7,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Skinny Dipping
I am a boy who went hiking recently with a female family friend around my age. We went to a secluded lake she knew of to take a break and to eat some food. It was about ninety degrees, and we really wanted to cool off, so we decided to go swimming. She had a swimsuit, along with a few other supplies, that she permanently kept in a backpack that she used for hiking. I said I didn't have a swimsuit, so she asked me if I wanted to skinny dip. I said I would be uncomfortable with a naked girl. She said ok, if I thought I would be tempted that is ok. So she asked me if just I wanted to skinny dip. She said she knew herself, and she wouldn't be uncomfortable or tempted. So I went skinny dipping and she swam in her bathing suit. Was that wrong?

(This was in Philosophy and ethics but it fits better here)

Maineiac

May 6, 2010
✟7,621.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm an older male, so I'm out of the age bracket. But I've raised 3 boys and a girl, and I've worked with teens all my life as a school teacher. Also, I grew up on a farm (with brothers and sisters), and we skinny dipped. A lot. I know of girls who did so with other girls, and of one instance where three 13-year-olds (two male; one female) went in.

I'm glad that this turned out okay, and I think the guy did the right thing under the circumstances. But someone whom this girl respects needs to explain to her what seeing a naked young woman can do to a guy. There are Christian books out there that deal with this issue (I think Carolyn Mahaney has written one). Another guy might have just let her skinny dip, and have considered it an offer for more than cooling off in the lake.

Had Adam and Eve not sinned, I believe men and women (with perfect bodies!) could have enjoyed one another's naked company without lust. But we live in a fallen world, a world that requires boundaries. Clothing is a boundary that is necessary except in special, controlled circumstances.

A further thought: the prevalence of inappropriate content means that guys are often exposed to sexually-charged nudity. Thus, it makes it doubly hard for boys to deal with the casual, innocent nudity described in Gordiehowe's post.

Maineiac

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

ModestGirlsRock

World Changer
Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
✟687.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree with Maineiac on this one. You may not have been tempted, but I wonder how many guys she may have unintentionally aroused just by the suggestion.

I'm glad you got away without hurting yourself or her, but I'd be wary of the next time especially if you're around a girl who you may like more than a friend and/or vice-versa.

Upvote 0

PhantomTorment

Seeking Wisdom
May 3, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟41,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have begun writing my reply three times now, and completely deleted what I was about to say. I don't want to totally rip you, but I can't believe the support you're generally getting from others on this. I'm not a person who agrees with any kind of displays of public nudity. I only want my future wife to see my body, because it is one of the gifts I want to give to her.

Now, if you caused the girl to lust in any kind because of this (This is not a debate on the 75% of women who aren't "visual" if you will) you are yourself in sin, because you caused your sister in Christ (If she is a Christian) to stumble. If she didn't lust in any way...this isn't a debate about sin...this turns into a debate about doing something that's simply unwise. It's not a sin to climb a cliff without climbing gear, but it simply isn't wise either...this falls into that category as well. In the end...wrong or not, it wasn't the wisest thing to do, and I would discourage it from happening again with somebody you aren't married to.

Upvote 0

Godzila

See, I make all things New!
Apr 2, 2008
Las Vegas
Visit site
✟16,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
the situation the OP described seems fine with me.

The girl sounds understanding and had her "bathing suit" on ...given that it isn't a revealing 2 piece.

lol....Christians being judgemental...

I believe the best answer for the OP is to let your convictions do the judging for you as your Holy spirit is at times much better than what "WE THINK", since we're not there with you in that situation.

Upvote 0

PhantomTorment

Seeking Wisdom
May 3, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟41,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lol....Christians being judgemental...

Judgmental? I suppose that if there was inappropriate touching involved then I wouldn't be in a position to say anything either? How about if everything fell apart and they had sex there as well...then would it be judgmental to say that it was wrong and sinful? We can candy-coat everything and say that everything is fine, and everybody has unique, extenuating circumstances. Or we can call it as we see it and give our opinion. Which is what the original poster wanted in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OGM

Mar 22, 2010
✟11,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Skinny Dipping
I am a boy who went hiking recently with a female family friend around my age. We went to a secluded lake she knew of to take a break and to eat some food. It was about ninety degrees, and we really wanted to cool off, so we decided to go swimming. She had a swimsuit, along with a few other supplies, that she permanently kept in a backpack that she used for hiking. I said I didn't have a swimsuit, so she asked me if I wanted to skinny dip. I said I would be uncomfortable with a naked girl. She said ok, if I thought I would be tempted that is ok. So she asked me if just I wanted to skinny dip. She said she knew herself, and she wouldn't be uncomfortable or tempted. So I went skinny dipping and she swam in her bathing suit. Was that wrong?

(This was in Philosophy and ethics but it fits better here)
Nothing was wrong as far as I can tell. The thing about skinny dipping is that you are usually, well, under the water. Nothing much to see. I can’t tell which country you are from but I am from the United States but go to Europe and Australia several times a year. It is extremely common to see skinning dipping and topless women on public beaches. No… it is not a stare fest either! Really it is all in your head. If you want a body to be tempting it will be tempting. If you want it to be grotesque it will be grotesque. If you are apathetic to the whole issue as I would be, you will not even care.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheSquireKing

Aug 26, 2012
✟7,611.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm afraid you made a mistake, bro. The naked body (among men and women) is something that only husband and wife were intended to share. There is a few reasons for this. 1) The adventure: Sex with your wife is supposed to be an exiting adventure, and your wife is supposed to be the first person you share this with. You may have not been turned on during this experience (which I find unlikely) but, nonetheless a woman having already having seen you naked is likely to decrease some of the adventure of doing it with your wife. 2) The arousal: Men were created to be highly sexual. It is extremely difficult for a man not to become aroused be the mere thought that a girl seeing him naked. Most women do not fully comprehend the extent to which most men are like this. I suspect that might be the case with your friend. 3) Nudity is intended to be all symbolic act showing that you're giving all of yourself to your spouse and holding nothing back. Your future wife, after all, is the one being, other than God, that you will ever experience intimacy with on Earth. When you are nude, you are bare and you have nothing to hide. I might sound overly antaliticle, but sex is a hugely significant gift God has given us and it should not be taken lightly. I confess, I am not yet married, but this subject is one that I feel deeply about. I have strong desire to experience the thrill of nudity among members of the opposiste sex, but I know this is one of the most destructive things I could do to myself. I have fallen many times, just by putting my heart in the wrong place and allowing myself to fantasize. I even have tonight. But I force myself to look on, and wait to experience those pleasures alone with only my future wife.

Upvote 0