Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
For those who are not aware, "situational ethics" is a doctrine--which has its roots in the 19th Century--that in Christianity, love is the highest ethical principle, and always trumps all others. An example of this is in Moby Dick, Ishmael joins Queequeg in worshiping a pagan idol, because he says in Christianity love is the most important ethical principle, and he does that out of love for Queequeg; the principle of love overrides the injunction against idolatry.

My issue with situational ethics is that "love" here seems to be conceived in purely secular terms. This is not "love" in the mystical sense of God's energies, this is love in a very pedestrian, secular sense. For instance, situational ethics is often used today to justify churches conducting homosexual marriages.

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those who are not aware, "situational ethics" is a doctrine--which has its roots in the 19th Century--that in Christianity, love is the highest ethical principle, and always trumps all others. An example of this is in Moby Dick, Ishmael joins Queequeg in worshiping a pagan idol, because he says in Christianity love is the most important ethical principle, and he does that out of love for Queequeg; the principle of love overrides the injunction against idolatry.

My issue with situational ethics is that "love" here seems to be conceived in purely secular terms. This is not "love" in the mystical sense of God's energies, this is love in a very pedestrian, secular sense. For instance, situational ethics is often used today to justify churches conducting homosexual marriages.
I agree! If we "love" anyone more than Christ we are not worthy of Him. If our love for another person causes us to sin we are to give them up! Situational ethics is a satanic doctrine. God's love and God's ethics DO NOT CHANGE.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I recall the term in my studies many years ago. Once becoming an authentic Christian, I "polished" the term to indicate that situationally, Jesus is #1, and all else falls within that fact.
Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ in breadth, Christ in length, Christ in height, Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me, Christ in every eye that sees me, Christ in every ear that hears me.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree! If we "love" anyone more than Christ we are not worthy of Him. If our love for another person causes us to sin we are to give them up! Situational ethics is a satanic doctrine. God's love and God's ethics DO NOT CHANGE.
Situational ethics is increasingly popular, and is associated with some big names in theology, so that is worrying.
Situational ethics - Wikipedia

• Agree
Reactions: danstribe
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
i.e. then - situational ethics is used to destroy lives, to cast already burdened souls into hotter fire, and to deceive if possible even the elect ?

So little children following Jesus learning the truth can be told simply avoid them!?

• Agree
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

I don't think it's as shallow as that. Many have a commitment to personalist ethics.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
i.e. then - situational ethics is used to destroy lives, to cast already burdened souls into hotter fire, and to deceive if possible even the elect ?

So little children following Jesus learning the truth can be told simply avoid them!?
The problem is, it's not like pastors are whipping out the term all the time. The issue is, pastors are often learning about situational ethics in various schools they go to, and then they preach these ethics subtly to their congregations. They won't necessarily ever use the academic term, but will preach it directly or indirectly.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think it's as shallow as that. Many have a commitment to personalist ethics.
Not in any Scriptural sense, which understands that an icon (from Greek for "image") of God, becomes an idol when you place it above God. Veneration of icons can become idolatry if you do not have very strict delineations and understandings to go with it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem is, it's not like pastors are whipping out the term all the time. The issue is, pastors are often learning about situational ethics in various schools they go to, and then they preach these ethics subtly to their congregations. They won't necessarily ever use the academic term, but will preach it directly or indirectly.
Sounds like they are learning and teaching the doctrines of men rather than the doctrines of Christ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Not in any Scriptural sense, which understands that an icon (from Greek for "image") of God, becomes an idol when you place it above God. Veneration of icons can become idolatry if you do not have very strict delineations and understandings to go with it.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. There is really no hierarchy between loving God and loving your neighbor, the two are interrelated.

Those of us who have considered these things have often had to make painful sacrifices for what we believe in. Our motivations are not so shallow. I mean I could as easily say a lot of conservative Christians make an idol out of tradition interpretations of the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what you are saying here. There is really no hierarchy between loving God and loving your neighbor, the two are interrelated.

Those of us who have considered these things have often had to make painful sacrifices for what we believe in. Our motivations are not so shallow. I mean I could as easily say a lot of conservative Christians make an idol out of tradition interpretations of the Scriptures.
Loving God is ABOVE loving your neighbor always.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Loving God is ABOVE loving your neighbor always.

The second great commandment is like the first, the Greek word here almost means "equal". You cannot love God and not care about your neighbor. That's what the whole epistle of James is about.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate

You cannot love God without love of your neighbor ("for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?"), but God must always be placed before your neighbor when there is a conflict ("If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.")

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
In fact, Jesus told /sternly WARNED the disciples "Listen when they teach/preach in line with MY WORD, but do not live like they live".
That's still true everywhere, all over the earth.

Yes, this has been going on for over a thousand years.
That's how the doctrines of demons , etc, was brought into common ways of thinking.
The issue is better when the pastors never learn about situational ethics, and do not ever approve of them, but stick with truth in YHWH'S WORD and SPIRIT as HE SAYS.

Oh, they are not really subtle any more, if they have been doing it for decades or for centuries any particular place - they sin wide open, and approve of sin too.
Test anyplace you go, test every message you hear, before accepting it as truth,
like did the Bereans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The second great commandment is like the first, the Greek word here almost means "equal". You cannot love God and not care about your neighbor. That's what the whole epistle of James is about.
I agree but it is "almost" equal to loving God but loving God is still above.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Similarly, Paul said obey the civil authorities, for their authority is made in the image of God's authority. However, obviously where they command you to do something that God forbids, you have to go with God's authority, because it takes precedence over an icon of it; otherwise that icon becomes an idol. Paul knew this enough to die for his faith, as did many other Christians. This is the same model that must be used with love for one's neighbor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You cannot love God without love of your neighbor ("for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?"), but God must always be placed before your neighbor when there is a conflict ("If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.")

Do you really think that is what most of those types like Paul Tillich or Dietrich Bonhoeffer were advocating? I don't. Bonhoeffer spoke of costly discipleship, yet he also realized we live in a world where ethics is more complicated than simply trying to escape guilt through avoiding sin.

Upvote 0

Constantine the Sinner

Aug 11, 2016
United States
✟31,259.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you really think that is what most of those types like Paul Tillich or Dietrich Bonhoeffer were advocating? I don't. Bonhoeffer spoke of costly discipleship, yet he also realized we live in a world where ethics is more complicated than simply trying to escape guilt through avoiding sin.
I haven't read Bonhoeffer, but I've read Tillich's The Dynamics of Faith, and in it he says Christianity's truth is unimportant, and that Christ's death and Resurrection can be largely understood symbolically. How this mendacious viper got to be so esteemed I will never know, but it is frightening.

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't read Bonhoeffer, but I've read Tillich's The Dynamics of Faith, and in it he says Christianity's truth is unimportant, and that Christ's death and Resurrection can be largely understood symbolically. How this mendacious viper got to be so esteemed I will never know, but it is frightening.
By Satan. People in the end time will love a lie and hate the truth.

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0