Visit site
✟83,638.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is evil in the ethical and moral sense and evil in the sense of bad or distressful situations/events. There is evil in the abstract sense and evil in the physical sense.

King James Bible Isaiah 45:

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Was Isaiah talking about internal morals or external events?

Let's see the parallelism:

I form the light and create darkness,
I make peace and create evil
Light reflects peaceful situations and peaceful places. It is not so much about peaceful morality.

By parallelism, darkness contains evil situations. It is not so much about evil moral values.

New King James Version:

I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity; I, the LORD, do all these things.
This verse does not say that God created evil. For the origin of satan, click this.

Last edited:

BibleLinguist

Mar 18, 2024
Sukhothai
✟2,003.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah is among the more difficult Hebrew books to understand because of its advanced usage and extensive poetry. Its study is reserved for higher levels of Hebrew, and I may not understand it fully myself. However, the grammatical notations of an interlinear can help us to see that its translation to English has not captured the Hebrew meaning perfectly.
Screen Shot 2024-03-18 at 5.44.50 PM.png

Notice that the first word is not actually saying "I form" here: it is in the form of a participle. A more consistent translation might be "forming." The word has no pronominal suffix, and no personhood. Notice also that the verb "create," from the root "bara" (which is reserved to strictly God's creations throughout the Hebrew Bible), is in participle form, i.e. "creating." The "I make," from the root "asah," meaning to create, form, fashion, do or make, is also in participle form, i.e. "making" and the "do" is a participle, i.e. "doing." In fact, there is not a single explicit verb in this text which is not a participle. I must say "explicit" because there is one implicit verb--a nominal sentence--formed by the expression "I Yahweh." In Hebrew, pronouns are considered "most definite," and names are "definite." A difference in definiteness between nouns or pronouns forms a nominal sentence whereby a verb of being is implied. For a similar example, consider the "I am Joseph" of Genesis 45:3.

Consider the following re-translation of this text:

"Forming light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil, I am Yahweh, doing all of these."

Now, the Hebrew word translated as "evil" is broader in Hebrew usage than we might accept in English by this translation. It covers a range of concepts including bad, evil, calamity, distress, injury, pain, adversity, misery, or unhappiness.

Two salient manners of reconciling these concepts with a loving God are as follows:

1) God "creates" the misery, unhappiness, pain, or "evil" for someone in much the same way as His hardening of Pharaoh's heart; i.e. though Pharaoh hardened his own heart, his heart's hardening was motivated by his resistance to God--and God accepts that He was the causative factor in the process.

2) An entirely different approach to understanding this passage would see God as "creating" evil by virtue of defining it. It is God's law which establishes what is evil and what is not, and God is here taking credit for having divided between good and evil, creating both categories, though not doing evil Himself. The initial reference to light and darkness gives a large clue to this as the proper context because in Genesis 1:4 God plainly declares that He "divided the light from the darkness."

I incline toward this second interpretation; but one beautiful aspect of the Hebrew language is that it allows more than one interpretation, and God may impress each reader with a message fit for that individual. It is important to remember that without the Holy Spirit's help, we can have no confidence of understanding God's Word correctly.

• Winner
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0