WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not particularly keen on doing the long distance thing, and if we're talking about CF then it would be a case of a really long distance.
Fair enough. I’ve tried the long distance thing & it does get draining, on both parties.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The only good relationships I've developed online, whether talking about friendship or dating, have occurred when I was interacting with people on message boards, yahoo groups, or friends of friends on facebook. No form of relationship has ever worked out from any dating site for me. That's not to say it doesn't happen.

My longest lasting and most honest relationship has been with a guy I met on a yahoo group that was not meant for dating.

I know there are people who have made connections on dating sites that ended up being their life mates. I just think it isn't as likely than if you were to meet someone in a more casual way without expectations. I think that if you went to a dating site where you pay money and their intention is to attract specific kinds of people, you might have better luck.

Reactions: Mel2020
Upvote 0

blackcoffee84

Jun 9, 2018
noneofyourbusinessville
✟542.00
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And if you look on my profile of where I am, you’ll know I’m not from Auckland.

Ah too bad.

Not that I have time to date anyway, pretty much married to my low wage job right now, and study takes up the rest. One day I'll elevate myself to a middle-class life. If that seems sad or idolatrous to anyone that this is my main life ambition right now, I'd have to ask: are you poor? I sometimes get sick of hearing privileged middle-class people comment on how money isn't everything. Who wants to get involved someone with no time and no money anyway. Can't afford kids, all women my age want kids now. Can barely afford the rent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If that seems sad or idolatrous to anyone that this is my main life ambition right now, I'd have to ask: are you poor? I sometimes get sick of hearing privileged middle-class people comment on how money isn't everything.

I'm poor now. But I'm guilty of saying those things when my life was a lot better! Easy to say and take things for granted when everything is going right. Now I think it can be an arrogant / self-righteous / hypocritical thing to say....

I mean if money isn't everything.... Give it to the poor, give it to those who need it more! :)

It's okay to try to become middle class. What could make it wrong is what you plan to do once you get there.

• Informative
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don’t get why people who are single, almost complain about being single when you can obviously find someone on here who is saying the same thing.

#GoGeddem ;)
I don't know why people complain about being single.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
E497BD80-6DB4-429D-90DA-7201C5403F17.jpeg
Ah too bad.

Not that I have time to date anyway, pretty much married to my low wage job right now, and study takes up the rest. One day I'll elevate myself to a middle-class life. If that seems sad or idolatrous to anyone that this is my main life ambition right now, I'd have to ask: are you poor? I sometimes get sick of hearing privileged middle-class people comment on how money isn't everything. Who wants to get involved someone with no time and no money anyway. Can't afford kids, all women my age want kids now. Can barely afford the rent.
Not sure what your interpretation of “poor” would be - are you living outside? In the streets? Sleeping on cardboard box? With no food to eat except for food donated by kind strangers or the local soup kitchen? Do you have a change of clothes every day? Can you shower every day? All those things would be my understanding of “poor”.

I think you’re very lucky to have a job at all. I have friends who are on the benefit desperately trying to find work - so whether you’re on min wage (which hopefully Labour will soon change) then you are indeed blessed, on top of that, being able to study. So you have a lot going for ya. My sister fell pregnant and 19, took up studying, had another three kids and married and graduated. Now shes doing her Honours. So I don’t think you can limit yourself with being able to have a relationship, family etc - if you put your faith and trust in God, anything is possible:)

Upvote 0

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The only good relationships I've developed online, whether talking about friendship or dating, have occurred when I was interacting with people on message boards, yahoo groups, or friends of friends on facebook. No form of relationship has ever worked out from any dating site for me. That's not to say it doesn't happen.

My longest lasting and most honest relationship has been with a guy I met on a yahoo group that was not meant for dating.

I know there are people who have made connections on dating sites that ended up being their life mates. I just think it isn't as likely than if you were to meet someone in a more casual way without expectations. I think that if you went to a dating site where you pay money and their intention is to attract specific kinds of people, you might have better luck.
A good friend of mine was on a Christian site, and absolutely no intention of meeting anyone (he had just come out of a marriage), and then he met someone, later on marrying her. But I do agree with the whole going on a dating site where you invest alot of time and money to meet people - I guess it works for them.

Upvote 0

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm poor now. But I'm guilty of saying those things when my life was a lot better! Easy to say and take things for granted when everything is going right. Now I think it can be an arrogant / self-righteous / hypocritical thing to say....

I mean if money isn't everything.... Give it to the poor, give it to those who need it more! :)

It's okay to try to become middle class. What could make it wrong is what you plan to do once you get there.
Sorry to ask, but are you poor and living in the streets? Do you have a job? Or food to eat everyday?

I’m sorry you’re in that position - I can only pray that God leads you out of that situation :)

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think we all understand or have different interpretations of being “poor” and “rich”. For me, being “rich” is knowing who I am in Christ, the richness of Gods outpouring love for me is just enough or more than enough to sustain me. To me, being rich is knowing and having a relationship with God, He is my richness through His Word and the Holy Spirit. It’s not about materialistic things - things of this world, as someone already mentioned in here, we came into this world with nothing and therefore we shall leave with nothing.

God has opened my eyes that it’s not even about me lol before I met Jesus, I was a self centred person, stubborn with a hard heart. That changed when Jesus took over and showed me real richness in truth - the love for people. So now that He has softened my heart, I see things in a different way now including what “poor” and “rich” is.

This is purely my belief and opinion and I respect each of y’all opnions as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sorry to ask, but are you poor and living in the streets? Do you have a job? Or food to eat everyday?

I’m sorry you’re in that position - I can only pray that God leads you out of that situation :)

Thanks Mel! I have a job but I have quite a few people I'm taking care of, including my parents. I'm slowly getting things together. In time, God-willing, I'll be earning more and have some relief. :)

Upvote 0

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks Mel! I have a job but I have quite a few people I'm taking care of, including my parents. I'm slowly getting things together. In time, God-willing, I'll be earning more and have some relief. :)
Bless you for looking after those people including your parents :)

• Friendly
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I tried online dating briefly but nothing came of it.

Also refusing to date someone because of where they’re from? Not aspects of their personality or other actually important things?

Wow. Then again someone who won’t even give another a chance because of a thing as petty as their nationality is not someone I would want to date.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,942.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I think I might be hesitant to date someone from a country with a markedly different culture, but I wouldn't automatically rule out anyone simply because they came from a specific country.

Except Australia. From the perspective of a South African sports fan, Australia are the enemy, and it would be unpatriotic for me to get involved with anyone from that country. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I might be hesitant to date someone from a country with a markedly different culture, but I wouldn't automatically rule out anyone simply because they came from a specific country.

Except Australia. From the perspective of a South African sports fan, Australia are the enemy, and it would be unpatriotic for me to get involved with anyone from that country. :D
Well then you’d definitely have to rule out someone from New Zealand, we constantly win rugby against both your country and Australia :p

Upvote 0

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I still think it’s bigoted. Sorry. Lumping all people together, saying they all act a certain way isn’t fair. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.
Not saying I disagree with you - just saying there might be some sort of specific reason why they choose not to date within their own country.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟208,942.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Well then you’d definitely have to rule out someone from New Zealand, we constantly win rugby against both your country and Australia :p

Although not at sevens. :p

But for some reason New Zealand's OK. It's Australia who gets all the hatred, and while rugby plays a role, I think it's cricket that's the driving force there.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Mel2020

Not perfect
May 9, 2018
WGTN
✟21,903.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Although not at sevens. :p

But for some reason New Zealand's OK. It's Australia who gets all the hatred, and while rugby plays a role, I think it's cricket that's the driving force there.
Lol okay, we’ll give you that recent win at Paris :)

Cricket? I always thought the Aussies were League fanatics:scratch:

Upvote 0