Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Letting your conscious be your guide would be great if your conscious worked perfectly; however, the fall of Adam combined with our own sin has left it damaged. Sin deadens the sensitivity of conscious, which is why we must look to God's word for answers.

There are plenty of people filling church pews who are also living in sin yet feel no guilt about it.
So why are you telling this lady about living in sin? is it simply because she has a tattoo?

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
TurtleAnne:

YW, and it sounds like as you save up for it to be re-worked this time might be a blessing because it's always good to have settled on a new design development - whether faith based or otherwise - in plenty of time before you actually go under the needle.

(Interesting screen name; I believe that many Samoans /Polynesians have turtle based tattoo designs.)
Just thinking, in regards to the name the OP has chosen on here, that pattern could very easily be transformed into an amazing Turtle by a skilled artist.:D

Ive seen some amazing coverups done on horrid tats, the finished work being a beautiful peice of artwork, Not a "blotch" (reason to make sure the artist you choose has the skills)

I might consider this idea, having it turned into a turtle. The reason that I chose the word turtle for my screen name, is because the first spiritual experience that I can ever remember having involved a baby turtle. I will have to explain the whole for it to make sense:

When I was growing up as a little kid, my father was an abusive alcoholic. There was a part of him that was still good, deep down, but his alcoholism and rage issues made him an abusive and unreliable parent and person in general. He had been abused, himself, by his father when he was a child, so it was a situation of abuse and dysfunction perpetuating from one generation to the next.

My father had always had a thing for herpetology from the time he was a child, or basically the study and keeping as pets of reptiles, but mainly turtles. This was the only thing that my father and I ever bonded over. We would spend the Springs and Summers catching baby turtles together, setting up habitats and then learning about them, watching them eat and sun themselves, etc. This was in between the drunken rages and inappropriate behaviors, which created a sort of cognitive dissonance in me, not to mention that I was very isolated and lonely given that I had no childhood friends.

So one day when I a very young, like 7-9 range, my father and I had been looking for baby turtles all day. Now catching baby turtles takes a lot of patience, as well as having long handled nets (we made ours from PVC pipes) and being extremely fast. You have to sneak up them, very stealth-like, while they are sunbathing and then lunge quickly to get them in the net, otherwise they dive quickly into the murk and you're never going to find them (lakes, rivers, etc).

My father had been in one of his very dark moods that day, the sort of mood where he might snap and go into a rage at any given time. We had found no baby turtles, and I was just feeling in general very sad and lonely and tense. We were going along in the paddleboat and I had my hand just dragging in the water. I suddenly felt something in my hand, and it was a baby turtle. I mst stress that this was unheard of, for a baby turtle to be at the surface of water that was that deep, just out in the middle of the large creek instead of near the shallow shoreline, and for it not have dived immediately but to have just casually floated right into my hand.

My 7-9 year old self immediately interpreted it as a gift from God, it was the first time in my life that I had ever perceived a sort of "sign" like that, it just immediately felt like a small but meaningful message that I was loved. My father snapped at me and became enraged when I told him, and he let me know that God would never give me a gift. The baby turtle was put back into the lake.

But for whatever reason my heart and mind never let go of that moment, I was convinced that it was a message from God letting me know that despite my situation, I was loved, and I'll never forget it even now decades later.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
At first, I was going to suggest maybe getting a tattoo artist working around to make it into something else, but I agree with what that person suggested. Make it a testimony. I am big on testimonies and sharing the old me and how different I am now compared to those years ago. You are an entirely different person, anew in Christ. Believe it or not, people could actually benefit from your testimony and maybe even turn to Christ. You never know. For the longest time I thought my own testimony wouldn't be much of a use, until God revealed to me just how it can be used and to whom. So I say, use your tattoo as a testimony as you grow more in the Lord and obtain wisdom and understanding in His Word. I really think it can really change people's hearts!
Yes, it can be used as a testimony. And I think the suggestion was the possibility of eventually getting another Christian one adjacent: the old and the new; David Marsh suggested, above: "keep the tattoo, get another one that is Christian near it and use it as a means of conversation about Jesus. It can represent the before picture, the other the after picture. If need be simply have it modified."

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I might consider this idea, having it turned into a turtle. The reason that I chose the word turtle for my screen name, is because the first spiritual experience that I can ever remember having involved a baby turtle. I will have to explain the whole for it to make sense:

When I was growing up as a little kid, my father was an abusive alcoholic. There was a part of him that was still good, deep down, but his alcoholism and rage issues made him an abusive and unreliable parent and person in general. He had been abused, himself, by his father when he was a child, so it was a situation of abuse and dysfunction perpetuating from one generation to the next.

My father had always had a thing for herpetology from the time he was a child, or basically the study and keeping as pets of reptiles, but mainly turtles. This was the only thing that my father and I ever bonded over. We would spend the Springs and Summers catching baby turtles together, setting up habitats and then learning about them, watching them eat and sun themselves, etc. This was in between the drunken rages and inappropriate behaviors, which created a sort of cognitive dissonance in me, not to mention that I was very isolated and lonely given that I had no childhood friends.

So one day when I a very young, like 7-9 range, my father and I had been looking for baby turtles all day. Now catching baby turtles takes a lot of patience, as well as having long handled nets (we made ours from PVC pipes) and being extremely fast. You have to sneak up them, very stealth-like, while they are sunbathing and then lunge quickly to get them in the net, otherwise they dive quickly into the murk and you're never going to find them (lakes, rivers, etc).

My father had been in one of his very dark moods that day, the sort of mood where he might snap and go into a rage at any given time. We had found no baby turtles, and I was just feeling in general very sad and lonely and tense. We were going along in the paddleboat and I had my hand just dragging in the water. I suddenly felt something in my hand, and it was a baby turtle. I mst stress that this was unheard of, for a baby turtle to be at the surface of water that was that deep, just out in the middle of the large creek instead of near the shallow shoreline, and for it not have dived immediately but to have just casually floated right into my hand.

My 7-9 year old self immediately interpreted it as a gift from God, it was the first time in my life that I had ever perceived a sort of "sign" like that, it just immediately felt like a small but meaningful message that I was loved. My father snapped at me and became enraged when I told him, and he let me know that God would never give me a gift. The baby turtle was put back into the lake.

But for whatever reason my heart and mind never let go of that moment, I was convinced that it was a message from God letting me know that despite my situation, I was loved, and I'll never forget it even now decades later.

TurtleAnne:

Interesting experience! and making the current one into a more neutral turtle shape that would bring you good memories would certainly be one way to go.

A tattoo artist that is skilled at doing tribal designs would certainly be able to advise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So I say, use your tattoo as a testimony as you grow more in the Lord and obtain wisdom and understanding in His Word. I really think it can really change people's hearts!
PS:

LizzyMae:

I think you yourself were for a while considering getting (a) cross(es) inked, right? Certainly tattoo designs can play a part in personal testimony; many Christians have proven this to be so, anyway.

Upvote 0

Journey.In.Grace

Daughter of the One True King
Sep 2, 2013
Texas, US
✟159,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
PS:

LizzyMae:

I think you yourself were for a while considering getting (a) cross(es) inked, right? Certainly tattoo designs can play a part in personal testimony; many Christians have proven this to be so, anyway.

I agree. I knew a couple of devoted Christian's at church who had tattoos. I think any tattoo can be used to guide others to Christ and give glory to God.

• Agree
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So why are you telling this lady about living in sin? is it simply because she has a tattoo?

And hey just my little 2 cents, but I think that person might be a bit of a troll. They made a thread just to argue that men who hug each other are not manly and have been feminized. The whole thing seemed to boil down to him wanting to show that he is much more masculine than most other men, because he doesn't like hugs. Or something along those lines. You know.. like the sort of person who feels the need to chest puff all the time while projecting their insecurities onto other people, but doesn't really provide anything constructive to a conversation, those who want to play the role of God while ignoring the example set by Jesus for how to spread the Gospel. Which I guess is interesting since Jesus was even willing to sit down and be kind to prostitutes, and then this person dragged the topic of adultery into the thread to try to put it on the same level as getting a Christian tattoo in an effort to start Gospel-driven conversations. Just saying. You seem to me like a very compassionate person who feels defensive of those who are being persecuted by other people, and I appreciate that, but I see the situation for what it is, as well.

Should Men Shake Hands or Hug?

Upvote 0

ynneb

Nov 7, 2005
✟17,213.00
Faith
Christian
I love the openness of your question. While I dont have any direct answer for you, the scripture that comes to mind is.
Matthew23:27 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness".
You are the opposite of this. Though I do recognize the other issues you also mentioned about what it portrays to others, I think you're actually very pleasing in Gods eyes, and someone whom He is very proud of. ;)

Reactions: sparkle123
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. I knew a couple of devoted Christian's at church who had tattoos. I think any tattoo can be used to guide others to Christ and give glory to God.

LizzyMae:

Yes, and to some extent I think it's a generational thing among Christians; as a rule, younger Christians are a lot quicker to see the potentials for God glorifying tattoos - which don't have to be big. Some older Christians probably resist the medium because it's a relatively new idea to them.

I think I may have mentioned that my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her finding the boldness to have it done.

pinterest dot com

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And hey just my little 2 cents, but I think that person might be a bit of a troll. They made a thread just to argue that men who hug each other are not manly and have been feminized. The whole thing seemed to boil down to him wanting to show that he is much more masculine than most other men, because he doesn't like hugs. Or something along those lines. You know.. like the sort of person who feels the need to chest puff all the time while projecting their insecurities onto other people, but doesn't really provide anything constructive to a conversation, those who want to play the role of God while ignoring the example set by Jesus for how to spread the Gospel. Which I guess is interesting since Jesus was even willing to sit down and be kind to prostitutes, and then this person dragged the topic of adultery into the thread to try to put it on the same level as getting a Christian tattoo in an effort to start Gospel-driven conversations. Just saying. You seem to me like a very compassionate person who feels defensive of those who are being persecuted by other people, and I appreciate that, but I see the situation for what it is, as well.

Should Men Shake Hands or Hug?
TurtleAnne:

Well, remember how Yasser Arafat used to hug Middle Eastern leaders? :) It's the culture; so many practices are cultural rather than clear cut matters of light and darkness.

... then this person dragged the topic of adultery into the thread to try to put it on the same level as getting a Christian tattoo in an effort to start Gospel-driven conversations.

Yes, this was bizarre how the argument was introduced.

The fact that such a lot of Christians do get tattooed with designs which they would see as consistent with glorifying God would be borne out by a quote I may have reproduced earlier:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arthur B Via

Art
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2016
✟86,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I am curious for others' perceptions and thoughts on this matter.

I have a tattoo that I received several years ago. It is not mainstream offensive, as in it is not vulgar or anything along those lines, but it is a pagan tattoo and at the time I had it done, it represented for me a self-reliance (rather than a reliance on God) in regards to resisting evil. Obviously this was also at a time in my life when I was still thinking in terms that symbolism actually mattered and that it could help me be a good person, as opposed to the internal, unseen hard and complex work of genuinely trying to be a better a person. Suffice to say I was pretty immature compared to real wisdom, and mostly just being rebellious and impulsive.

This tattoo is in a place that is prominent unless I make a deliberate effort to keep it covered with clothing choices. I've also gone through periods of severe guilt about the tattoo, although I by now I've reached the understanding that it's more about what others think. God has always known that I have this tattoo, obviously, but what sort of message does it send to others? And also, what would I look like, professing my faith in Jesus Christ, while standing there with a tribal pagan tattoo.

I don't think I'll ever be able to afford to have it removed. Once I finish my college degree in about a year and can become employed again, I'll probably be able to afford to have it covered up, like just a hand-sized black blotch so that it's well, just a big blotch of ink rather than a specific design. That is the best I could afford to do, aside from mutilating it off of my body and having to go to the emergency room (which is something I've honestly contemplated due to how terrible I feel about it sometimes).

At one point, someone else advised me that maybe I should leave it as it is, and use it as some sort of testimony in regards to how I was once astray enough to get a tattoo like that, but then wound up being saved, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It has sort of become like this dark secret of mine. I'm currently seeking a church, for example, as I haven't regularly attended church since I was a child, and of course when I go to visit the churches on my list to try them out in search of the right one for me, I'll be making sure that tattoo is covered up, and I certainly won't be eager to mention it to anyone. So then what happens if when the day comes when I am finally able to be baptized, other people see it. The whole situation just gives me a terrible gut feeling.

Lately I've been trying to reach out and feel for what God wants me to do about it, but I haven't felt confident that I've received a response yet, or some sort of sign.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this sort of situation?

Upvote 0

Arthur B Via

Art
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2016
✟86,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, that is the one, although the design of mine is a lot more aggressive looking as opposed to simple lines. It's definitely profound to me how much the Holy Spirit can change my perception of something. It used to look like such a courageous and strong symbol opposing evil influence. Now it looks like malicious barbs that have been symbolizing keeping the truth out of my heart over the years.

I suppose that if I can't get it professionally covered before my baptizing, I will just cover it with a big bandage. It feels like a wound, anyway.
Keep it until you can afford to have it removed properly and use it as a testimony until then. Ignorance is bliss my friend and you didn't know tattoos were against God when you had it done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Keep it until you can afford to have it removed properly and use it as a testimony until then. Ignorance is bliss my friend and you didn't know tattoos were against God when you had it done.
The other option - which TurtleAnne might not go with - would be to have it amended into a more suitable design. Also, a lot of Christians actively want to be tattooed with faith based designs that are proven effective in witness conversations.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not really, not that I know. I didn't know them personally.
On the other hand, a tattoo that is directly and clearly associated with the faith - Christian fish sign <>< or a cross (etc.) - often doesn't need a lot of explanation, for the person to be identified with Christianity, right?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If they toss you out, or don't know anyone who could remove or redesign it for free, ask again at the next assembly you visit. Don't be shy.

PS:

Winken:

If a local church really does toss someone out over a tattoo, I would say it would have very odd, wonky doctrine!

A tattoo is part of the totality of one's past. Even if the person has moved on, whether for aesthetic reason or in repentance at the design, there's no need to be shy, like you say, right?

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
PS:

Winken:

If a local church really does toss someone out over a tattoo, I would say it would have very odd, wonky doctrine!

A tattoo is part of the totality of one's past. Even if the person has moved on, whether for aesthetic reason or in repentance at the design, there's no need to be shy, like you say, right?
Right! A young lady who works for our local veterinarian has a scripture on her right forearm. Without realizing what it was for, I asked her if I could see it up close. She agreed. I was moved to tears. I smiled, said "that's great!", told her how much God loves her, and we both got glory bumps!

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

JellyQuest

Dec 14, 2016
nz
✟18,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sir, You are the one who introduced the subject of adultery, not me; then by your extension of logic you make unfounded implications.

Actually various examples of how Christians do use faith based ink in witness have been given; since you don't seem interested in them in any case there is little point in prolonging these exchanges.
no . none have been given .

Upvote 0