Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We do not have the same promise that the Apostles were given in Jn 14, 15, 16.
Word and Spirit are never divided for a believer..
The being led by the Spirit is to mortify sin,rom8, it is not some subjective mystical thing.
You did compile a good list of relevant verses.
I think you crisscrossed some of the dots you were trying to connect
What scripture did these men have???? In Hebrews 11, who were saved and had Christ dwelt in their hearts by faith also.

What scripture did Abel read, or Noah, or Abraham etc?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We do not have the same promise that the Apostles were given in Jn 14, 15, 16.
Word and Spirit are never divided for a believer..
The being led by the Spirit is to mortify sin,rom8, it is not some subjective mystical thing.
You did compile a good list of relevant verses.
I think you crisscrossed some of the dots you were trying to connect
The promise was for all believers

We read

“ 1 John 2:27. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.”

“ 1 Corinthians 2:12. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.”

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We read

“ 1 John 2:27. But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.”

“ 1 Corinthians 2:12. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.”
Sorry,
John 14,15,16,was spoken only to the Apostles.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry,
Acts 2:38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.39. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.”

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry,
You forgot chapter 17

“ John 17:20. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;21. That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.22. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:”

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But there is no Scripture that actually describes the sign gifts that were described as "Apostolic" in a way that were exclusively for the original Apostles.
There is a missing link - any Scripture that actually proves beyond doubt that the sign gifts are not present today with the preaching of the gospel.

This is equivalent between the missing link between monkeys and humans to enable proof of the evolution of man.
Yes I agree also, we only read of special miracles by some

“ Acts 19:11. And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul:”

...but all can have the signs as scripture shows,

Mark 16:17. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;18. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.”

These signs will be among the believers, not all believers may have every sign but among “them” (the church) they will be seen.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yea so far, it is not very convincing.

I think the 1st book of Corinthians was written by The Holy Spirit for us today, and I'm not seeing anything where He says "ok, I'm gonna be ending this soon and the rest of you are out of luck."

I don't think GOD discriminates in the body of Christ.
Yes I agree, Corinthians was for all the saints everywhere as we read

1 Corinthians 1:2. Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:”

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yea Agabus the prophet laid hands on Paul.
Yes and in Acts 13 we read of certain prophets and teachers. Then in a meeting Barnabas was sent out as an apostle. This was another apostle after the resurrection of Jesus and many years after Christ died and rose again.

Acts 13:1. Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.2. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them.4. So they, being sent forth by the Holy Ghost, departed unto Seleucia; and from thence they sailed to Cyprus.”

Acts 14:14. Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,”

So we see that many years after Christ rose again there were prophets and apostles called

Barnabas was a prophet or teacher in Acts 13 then was sent forth and was now an apostle in Acts 14.

This is clear to the unbiased reader

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No..not at all
There is no Apostolic succession at all.
There was the foundational Apostles eph2:20..
Did you read the opening posts?
Ephesians 2:20 does not say there are no more apostles or prophets after the twelve. We can easily disprove that with scripture . Also we read of the two prophets in Jerusalem in the last days.

I suppose if some hold your doctrine they will not consider these two witnesses prophets. But they are

Revelation 11:3. And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth...10. And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.”

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Acts 2:38. Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.39. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.”
All who receive salvation have the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You forgot chapter 17

“ John 17:20. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;21. That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.22. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:”
I did not forget it, it speaks of salvation for those who believe the apostolic word.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ephesians 2:20 does not say there are no more apostles or prophets after the twelve. We can easily disprove that with scripture . Also we read of the two prophets in Jerusalem in the last days.

I suppose if some hold your doctrine they will not consider these two witnesses prophets. But they are

Revelation 11:3. And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth...10. And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.”

You were not there with the Apostles to hear Jesus
You are ignoring the truth of Jn14, 15, 16...
jn14;

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We read

The words in jn.14, 15, 16 , were for the Apostles only.

Upvote 0