Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
NO ONE CAN KNOW! The man with the giant brain told us yesterday that it could be long or it could be short or it could be long.

Why don't you give me THAT option in the poll?

*36+ days or 13-21 days or 36+ days

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How long do you think the shutdown will last?
Why?
It will last until the next election, because the Democrats won't give Trump the victory, and Trump won't accept defeat.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, lets see here, Trump is doing everything he can here to build the wall that not too long ago anti Trumpers were complaining he didn't keep his word about, and was a bad president because he didn't build it, and now he's bad for trying to build it? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I remember the late Erma Bombeck being asked one time who she thought would win a football game. Her reply was "The team that scores the most points." She was right. So, my prediction on how long the shutdown will last: The government shutdown will definitely last until it ends.

• Haha
Reactions: Phil.Stein
Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,922.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So, lets see here, Trump is doing everything he can here to build the wall that not too long ago anti Trumpers were complaining he didn't keep his word, and was a bad president because he didn't build it, and now he's bad for trying to building it?
Breaking the government because you don't have the legislative support to get your agenda is not "doing everything he can to build [it]" it's being a petulant child who will break the game instead of playing if he can't get what he wants.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Breaking the government because you don't have the legislative support to get your agenda

I don't see how Trump is "breaking the government." What I see is a proud American tradition of Congress refusing to pass bills funding the Executive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, lets see here, Trump is doing everything he can here to build the wall that not too long ago anti Trumpers were complaining he didn't keep his word, and was a bad president because he didn't build it, and now he's bad for trying to building it?
Mr. Art of the Steal, er, Deal can’t make a deal. Cry me a Rio.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If Trump wants his wall, he should ask the Mexican legislature, not the US legislature.
I heard him clearly give his word that he would make Mexico pay for the wall. Then he had a meeting with the Mexican president, if I remember correctly, and after that there was not even a comment that I remember, about what Mexico was going to do.

Possibly, he had one of his first encounters with how checks and balances can work.
I don't see how Trump is "breaking the government." What I see is a proud American tradition of Congress refusing to pass bills funding the Executive.
I have thought of having a system in which the number of votes a candidate gets decides how much money he or she has to spend. Or . . . if Donald gets about half the votes, the Republicans get half the tax money, while Hillary and the Democrats get half . . . something like this. They are free to help each other, plus there would be required expenditures, such as a set percentage for education, for only one example. Pork would be at their own expense, then, and limited to their making sure they spend what is required for certain items.

For defense, each would be required to spend so much. But each could decide how much would go to a war, for example. But if one group froze their money, it would go automatically to the other party, at election times. Donald could use defense money for a wall; and if the Democrats did not like that, they could spend their money for what they claim is right . . . another example :)

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
His promise was that Mexico would pay for it, but he had no actual plan for that. And he could have had the wall if he had cut a deal with the dems for protection for the dreamers (DACA.) Like the “repeal and replace Obamacare” promise, he made promises on things he had no plan for.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I heard him clearly give his word that he would make Mexico pay for the wall. Then he had a meeting with the Mexican president, if I remember correctly, and after that there was not even a comment that I remember, about what Mexico was going to do.

Possibly, he had one of his first encounters with how checks and balances can work.
I have thought of having a system in which the number of votes a candidate gets decides how much money he or she has to spend. Or . . . if Donald gets about half the votes, the Republicans get half the tax money, while Hillary and the Democrats get half . . . something like this. They are free to help each other, plus there would be required expenditures, such as a set percentage for education, for only one example. Pork would be at their own expense, then, and limited to their making sure they spend what is required for certain items.

For defense, each would be required to spend so much. But each could decide how much would go to a war, for example. But if one group froze their money, it would go automatically to the other party, at election times. Donald could use defense money for a wall; and if the Democrats did not like that, they could spend their money for what they claim is right . . . another example :)
Nice idea.

• Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

camille70

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2007
Ohio
Visit site
✟607,361.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I went with 22-28 days. Right now Trump actually thinks only democrats are being hurt by the shutdown. That in and of itself is scary, it basically says he doesn't see himself as president of the entire United States, and doesn't care about you if you are a Democrat or perceived as one. It let's me know that the people who said he was content to let California burn because the majority didn't vote for him may have been right, doesn't speak well of him, and makes me even more concerned about his decision making.

That said, once he is more aware that farmers, who he has already hurt, can't get government loans and small businesses, who he claims to support, are losing money AND blaming him, not the dems, he will roll over. He won't do it gracefully, but he will do it.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

He’s not trying to build a wall...he’s trying to save face...

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He’s not trying to build a wall...he’s trying to save face...

Then that would go for any president, right? If they try to do what they said they would, they are not longer just doing the right thing at all, they are just trying to save face.

Ooookay.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
His promise was that Mexico would pay for it, but he had no actual plan for that. And he could have had the wall if he had cut a deal with the dems for protection for the dreamers (DACA.) Like the “repeal and replace Obamacare” promise, he made promises on things he had no plan for.

Any truth to the flowing? I'll be checking you out on your reply so...If it is a fact, and you knew that, why didn't you mention that as well?

A Dec 13 tweet by trump:

"I often stated, “One way or the other, Mexico is going to pay for the Wall.” This has never changed. Our new deal with Mexico (and Canada), the USMCA, is so much better than the old, very costly & anti-USA NAFTA deal, that just by the money we save, MEXICO IS PAYING FOR THE WALL!"

White House struggles to explain Trump claim that Mexico will pay for the wall through trade deal

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0