Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It used to be that money was spent on brethren and even visitors/ travelers

for their needs as known on a daily basis.

Animals (of any size) would be put down as needed instead of spending money on them, (except for "for-profit" stock) ,
thus
the needs that were known to the brethren for themselves and the visitors and the travelers would be met in a timely manner. (same as in ACTS, etc, the rest of Scripture).

If the needs have been met , of people, and thus no one suffers hunger or thirst or homelessness as a result of voluntary spending on animals or other things
then no problem necessarily.

In many areas there are a lot of brethren needing help, often daily, .... so they would get the priority in a community of Christians living as one.

America is a land of disposable income. If we say we should not care for pets before we care for the needs of others than we also should not watch tv, eat ice cream, or lie on a sandy beach soaking in the sun while others are suffering. This may have laudable aspects to it but the logic of it does not stop until there is either no more suffering or no more money.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This morning I took my five-month-old kitten to the vets to get fixed. I asked several friends to please pray for him. Most of them said they would gladly do so, and would also pray for his human buddy (me). One person, however, said that he is just “a dumb animal” and he wouldn’t waste time praying for a cat.

Scripture tells us that God’s eye is on the sparrow, which I take as meaning that prayers for our animal friends are entirely appropriate. To me, my two kittens are not “like” family, they “are” family.

Thoughts?

BTW I spoke with the vet this afternoon. Everything went well, the little guy is just being held overnight for routine observation.
There's a racoon that's been knocking over the garbage can at night and making a mess.

Pray for him.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MournfulWatcher

In the beginning was the Word.
Feb 15, 2016
United States
✟110,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think humans tend to have too utilitarian view of animals and nature, which is why some people may be put off by the idea of praying for animals. We forget that animals are living creatures like us and experience emotions, pain, desire, and have needs like ours. They may not be the same as us, but God created Adam alongside the animals, and made him to have dominion over the earth. It's a good thing to care for our animals, and to want them to have good lives and pray for their well-being.

"Whoever is righteous has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel." Proverbs 12:10

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Personally I see two elements in this picture. One is the human and the other is the animal. I don't understand why a Christian can berate another person for what they believe. If a person loves Christ and loves like Christ, and seeks Gods ways in their life, what they think of an animal today will be consistent with what our Lord wants them to think and act like. You can be kind to a person and keep your own beliefs to yourself. However, to be realistic (where it might not be wanted,) we don't read a lot about pets in the Bible because there were no pets as we know them today in the times of the laying down of the Bible. Unless people lived in luxury (i.e., the Pharoh, Kings, Royalty) animals were in proximity to man for food or labor for farming, or for feeding the daily life needs of persons. (Soap, glue, sinew for tread, leather, clothing, etc.,. Not a piece of the animal was wasted.)

Or they were prized and owned property such as the Kings stags. Or, they were pests or varmints or dangerous predators. If the dog was feral he was a nuisance animal. If it lived with a family it was trained for hunting. A feral cat was for keeping the grain lots free of mice. Animals were permitted to live close to man because they had a purpose. Still, one could not afford to treat an animal like a person. It was another mouth to feed and body to tend to and if it didn't return more than it gave it was of no value to the humans struggling from day to day to live. I am sure there were kids who wanted to cuddle a rabbit or puppy or kitten, but animals were creatures. And, we have living examples of how animals might have been treated those many years ago because they still live the same way in the remote villages of Africa and similar places where animals are treated pretty much the way they were thousands of years ago.

Now that we established at least a small parcel of why pets are not mentioned in the Bible I will add that praying for the comfort and blessings of the person who takes care of the animal is not wrong. In fact, if that person is in anguish over an animal or a friend, over the loss of those thousands in the World Trade Centers whom they probably never knew, of the surviving children made orphans because of a drunk driver, anguish of the human soul is anguish and praying for them is all about the Love Christ teaches us. Even for the mother who's anguish comes to the surface later, yes, we must pray for her too. Regardless of the reason for a person hurting we can pray for that person to find peace and yet, we can still hold onto our own beliefs about such things and still be true to the Lord.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
This morning I took my five-month-old kitten to the vets to get fixed. I asked several friends to please pray for him. Most of them said they would gladly do so, and would also pray for his human buddy (me). One person, however, said that he is just “a dumb animal” and he wouldn’t waste time praying for a cat.

Scripture tells us that God’s eye is on the sparrow, which I take as meaning that prayers for our animal friends are entirely appropriate. To me, my two kittens are not “like” family, they “are” family.

Thoughts?

BTW I spoke with the vet this afternoon. Everything went well, the little guy is just being held overnight for routine observation.

We are supposed to be good stewards of this earth including the animals that live upon it. Our pets are dependent on us for good care and its only right that we should care for their well-being.

God also told us to bring our requests to him.

Therefore it is good and right to pray for our pets. Praying for a pet is not going to stop you or anyone from praying for and about other people and things as well.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thoughts?

Some people are afraid to say that animals have souls. They not only have souls, they are souls. Some people are afraid to say that animals have spirit. But Genesis 6:17 and 7:15, and Psalm 104:29, as well as Ecclesiastes 3:21 ascribe spirit to animals. Animals are souls. They are not just clay. Gordon Clark

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyone that has a problem praying for a pet, it likely just not into pets.

Seems there are a few that just don't get it.
I love my dogs. But they are just dogs.
And now with these vibrating training collars
they are much better dogs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And we are just people, both of which are God's creatures.
Jesus did not come for any creatures.
He ate some and passed them around for others to eat.

• Haha
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Nothing in scripture says that Jesus didn’t love animals, nor does scripture Say that we shouldn’t pray fir the health of our pets and the pets of others.

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All things are a part of God's creation.

Of course, it's also true that a great many Americans love their pets a lot more than starving black children in Africa.

So you can make your own call on this one.

Blessings!!

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Are you actually telling us Jesus did't die to save the animals? And?

Trying to get under our skin does nothing for you here.

Proverbs 12:10 KJV
A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast [animal]: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.

Proverbs 12:10 NIV
The righteous care for the needs of their animals, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

And what better way to take care of your animal but to pray for them...that is if you believe in prayer.

• Winner
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God's love and concern for animals is shown several places in the Bible. One which comes to mind is at the end of Jonah, where God reprimands Jonah for not caring about the people of Nineveh and their animals.

My family and I raised horses for several years. Often I have prayed for the safety and health of horses with serious injuries or illnesses, or in dangerous situations.

Our relationship to animals, and pets in particular, mirrors God's relationship with us in many ways. My cat doesn't understand why I take her to the vet for a rabies shot, but she trusts me to provide for her needs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There's racoon that's been knocking over the garbage can at night and making a mess.

Pray for him.:)
I have a cousin who has two pet raccoons. They live in their own building. They are neat, they even high five you when you go in to see them.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have a cousin who has two pet raccoons. They live in their own building. They are neat, they even high five you when you go in to see them.
They can be very cute - especially when they are young.

But they can also be very mean. I used to keep pigeons and other birds at my place in the country.

The raccoons (with their ability to grab things with their hands) used to reach through at night and grab a bird and bite the head off of it. It seemed to me that it was just for sport since they didn't eat the birds after killing them.

I had to manually talk with them about it.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
They can be very cute - especially when they are young.

But they can also be very mean. I used to keep pigeons and other birds at my place in the country.

The raccoons (with their ability to grab things with their hands) used to reach through at night and grab a bird and bite the head off of it. It seemed to me that it was just for sport since they didn't eat the birds after killing them.

I had to manually talk with them about it.
Perhaps true for wild raccoons, but I was speaking of my cousin’s pet raccoons.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thoughts?

I think it's fine, but I view it more as praying for your concern than for the concerns of the animal. No doubt cats & dogs have fear - are even intelligent enough to know that going to the Vet can mean pain - but they don't communicate in the same way we do. They will receive their comfort from you (and the effect prayer has on you), rather than directly from prayer itself.

This turns into a matter of degree. Should I pray for my cat, my goldfish, my ant farm, the bacterial colony in my kitchen ...

As long as we're not ascribing a soul that needs to be saved, I've no problem with it.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it's fine, but I view it more as praying for your concern than for the concerns of the animal. No doubt cats & dogs have fear - are even intelligent enough to know that going to the Vet can mean pain - but they don't communicate in the same way we do. They will receive their comfort from you (and the effect prayer has on you), rather than directly from prayer itself.

This turns into a matter of degree. Should I pray for my cat, my goldfish, my ant farm, the bacterial colony in my kitchen ...

As long as we're not ascribing a soul that needs to be saved, I've no problem with it.
We agree that there is nothing wrong with praying for pets, but I would say that their comfort also comes from God.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0