Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This morning I took my five-month-old kitten to the vets to get fixed. I asked several friends to please pray for him. Most of them said they would gladly do so, and would also pray for his human buddy (me). One person, however, said that he is just “a dumb animal” and he wouldn’t waste time praying for a cat.

Scripture tells us that God’s eye is on the sparrow, which I take as meaning that prayers for our animal friends are entirely appropriate. To me, my two kittens are not “like” family, they “are” family.

Thoughts?

BTW I spoke with the vet this afternoon. Everything went well, the little guy is just being held overnight for routine observation.

Last edited:

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One person, however, said that he is just “a dumb animal” and he wouldn’t waste time praying for a cat.

I hope you do not get mad. That person is an idiot. We should pray for all things even our fur babies. Sice we can not have children our fur babies are the closet thing we have and I always pray for them. Oh and tell that person they are smarter than most humans

BTW I spoke with the vet this afternoon. Everything went well, my little guy is just being held overnight for routine observation.
That is good to hear.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This morning I took my five-month-old kitten to the vets to get fixed. I asked several friends to please pray for him. Most of them said they would gladly do so, and would also pray for his human buddy (me). One person, however, said that he is just “a dumb animal” and he wouldn’t waste time praying for a cat.

Scripture tells us that God’s eye is on the sparrow, which I take as meaning that prayers for our animal friends are entirely appropriate. To me, my two kittens are not “like” family, they “are” family.

Thoughts?

BTW I spoke with the vet this afternoon. Everything went well, the little guy is just being held overnight for routine observation.

There's never a bad reason for prayer
becasue prayer changes you, not the world.

How does a person get their prayers answered?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It used to be that money was spent on brethren and even visitors/ travelers

for their needs as known on a daily basis.

Animals (of any size) would be put down as needed instead of spending money on them, (except for "for-profit" stock) ,
thus
the needs that were known to the brethren for themselves and the visitors and the travelers would be met in a timely manner. (same as in ACTS, etc, the rest of Scripture).

If the needs have been met , of people, and thus no one suffers hunger or thirst or homelessness as a result of voluntary spending on animals or other things
then no problem necessarily.

In many areas there are a lot of brethren needing help, often daily, .... so they would get the priority in a community of Christians living as one.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I hope you do not get mad. That person is an idiot. We should pray for all things even our fur babies. Sice we can not have children our fur babies are the closet thing we have and I always pray for them. Oh and tell that person they are smarter than most humans

That is good to hear.
Sadly, pets are also more kind and loving than many/most humans.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟997,851.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Thoughts?

I'm not going to go down the "dumb animal" route, but I personally find it strange when people do this, and even stranger when others ask for such prayers. I always feel there are far more important matters to spend time praying about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Thoughts?

Yes, I would pray for a pet.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not going to go down the "dumb animal" route, but I personally find it strange when people do this, and even stranger when others ask for such prayers. I always feel there are far more important matters to spend time praying about.
I see nothing strange about asking for or offering such prayers. You are, of course, entitled to you opinion but I strongly disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It has been reported that St. Francis of Assisi used to bless pets, so why not pray for them?

Amen..
My (Lutheran) church started blessing animals a couple years ago..
Why not y'know.. every creature could use divine mercy & aid.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟75,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God is concerned with every area of our life. And as the OP said, God's eye is on the sparrow.

The Bible does not have a whole lot to say about pets. I can't think of more than a handful of passages that do.
But, the one that just came to mind was when Nathan told David the story of how a rich man took his neighbor's pet sheep and slaughtered it and David got angry and said the man must restore fourfold.
Moral of the story, don't go messing with the loved ones of people, whether they are people who wear clothes or have fur.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Basil the Great

Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I suppose you have a point. However, for people that live alone or couples that do not have children, pets can be extremely important, as well as anyone who fights depression, regardless of their living circumstances.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
As if we only had a finite number of prayers and had to be careful how we "spend" them? ;)

God loves all of His creation - including animals. And whatever concerns us is worth mentioning to Him in prayer.

Of course we can pray for pets.

But if someone's understanding is lacking on these matters and so fears he shouldn't pray for your pets, I hope you won't hold it against him. Instead we might pray that he comes to know God's all-reaching love and concern and that he opens his heart to love his neighbor by praying for all his neighbor's concerns, and then we can thank God for everything.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One person, however, said that he is just “a dumb animal” and he wouldn’t waste time praying for a cat.
Like Chinchilla said....I also wouldn't be close friends with someone that openly had an attitude like that. I am skeptical of people with this attitude. God is the Creator of all creatures (although sometimes I wonder if insects like mosquitoes are some part of the fall?).....and we ought to care about them (and their well-being)....especially pets (our own and the people that we love).

If nothing else....doesn't this friend care about what joy your kitten brings you?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,865.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I have prayed over a hamster, and i pray for my turtle and my cat, and i have anointing oil and use it and ask God to protect, bless them, and help them to thrive..

We are told to pray about and for for ALL things.

Upvote 0