Should we be more invested in climate change and the environment as christians?

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As Christians, we have no mandate from God to control the actions of the rest of the world's population. We have the power to control our own individual actions so if one is convinced that CO2 from one's lifestyle is causing the globe 's climate to change negatively then, as a Christian , I would advise one to take individual action to change one's lifestyle in such a way as to not add CO2 to the environment. What I would not advise a Christian to do would be to insist that anyone else has a responsibility to do the same. As for me, I will continue to emit CO2 until God decides I can cease breathing.

• Winner
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

apogee

Oct 9, 2004
✟41,941.00
Faith
Christian
You might not want to base opinion on Wikipedia.

This is a straw man, but feel free beat it as much as you like

CO2 is not causing climate change.

This is an assertion. The only science capable of such certainty is pseudo-science. You might want to preface it with “I believe”

There is a lot of nonsense being pushed about by the media and the man made climate change scientific community.

This is an opinion.

In order for us to have the effect claimed by the alarmists on the oceans we would have to raise the temperature on this planet by thousands of degrees.

As is this

This is arguably a scientific opinion, albeit a fringe one.

...I’m going to pause here because I have to go out

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I think you both clearly deserve an apology for my facetiousness. So I hereby offer my sincerest apologies for being flippant.

This is a bit silly, as far as far I’m aware ‘universal translators’ only exist in the Star Trek universe.
Hehe, a little light hearted mockery clearly deserves a letter bomb in return. Can you send them by email?:scratch:

Reactions: apogee
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I think you both clearly deserve an apology for my facetiousness. So I hereby offer my sincerest apologies for being flippant.
I also must apologise for my previous distain towards your stance @apogee. I now realise how serious and passionate you are about the subject.
On that note, I found this article that might be of help.
Scientists Underestimated How Bad Cow Farts Are.

Scientists Underestimated How Bad Cow Farts Are

I hope that helps!

Reactions: apogee
Upvote 0

apogee

Oct 9, 2004
✟41,941.00
Faith
Christian
I also must apologise for my previous distain towards your stance @apogee. I now realise how serious and passionate you are about the subject.
On that note, I found this article that might be of help.
Scientists Underestimated How Bad Cow Farts Are.

Scientists Underestimated How Bad Cow Farts Are

I hope that helps!

To be honest, that’s perfectly understandable, but thanks all the same. I have heard something similar before and found a related article here Chemical Curbs Cow Farts

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
To be honest, that’s perfectly understandable, but thanks all the same. I have heard something similar before and found a related article here Chemical Curbs Cow Farts
I also think it would be entirely appropriate to start a campaign to ban Heinz Baked Beans as a real contributory factor in Global Warming gases.

Upvote 0

Trimeresurus

Advocatus diaboli
Mar 6, 2018
Heidelberg
✟25,985.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I also think it would be entirely appropriate to start a campaign to ban Heinz Baked Beans as a real contributory factor in Global Warming gases.

Did you ever try Sauerkraut? Baken beans can't possibly be that bad. Honestly just try. The climat will change immediately. Gladly we will have mediterranian climat soon if we work together on this.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,377.00
Faith
Pentecostal
This is a straw man, but feel free beat it as much as you like

This is an assertion. The only science capable of such certainty is pseudo-science. You might want to preface it with “I believe”

This is an opinion.

As is this

This is arguably a scientific opinion, albeit a fringe one.

...I’m going to pause here because I have to go out

Funny that you claimed my thoughts were an opinion when it was based upon science that was shown in the article I pointed to. It's not an opinion when a scientific article is used.

Upvote 0

apogee

Oct 9, 2004
✟41,941.00
Faith
Christian
Funny that you claimed my thoughts were an opinion when it was based upon science that was shown in the article I pointed to. It's not an opinion when a scientific article is used.

OK, let me clarify. If I say 'the earth is vaguely spherical' then I am merely expressing an opinion. Whereas if you say, the Earth is vaguely spherical, and here is a 5000 word justification for why the earth is vaguely spherical, then you are arguably expressing a scientific opinion, depending on whether you have correctly applied the 'scientific method', which is why I used the word 'arguably', but at least you have provided me with enough information to judge for myself.

That fact that the opinion is the same, is irrelevant.

But then again perhaps I should have just downgraded them both to 'opinions' and made no distinction. I was feeling generous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If we are put on this earth made by god to be perfect then surely we are somewhat caretakers of this world. Does that mean we have a responsibility to address things like climate change and environmental disasters like landfill and plastics in our oceans? God made the world perfect and we seem to be destroying it with our pollution and wasteful habits.

What’s your opinion?
If your House is falling to bits you’ll get rained on if you don’t get it fixed.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
As Christians, we have no mandate from God to control the actions of the rest of the world's population. We have the power to control our own individual actions so if one is convinced that CO2 from one's lifestyle is causing the globe 's climate to change negatively then, as a Christian , I would advise one to take individual action to change one's lifestyle in such a way as to not add CO2 to the environment. What I would not advise a Christian to do would be to insist that anyone else has a responsibility to do the same. As for me, I will continue to emit CO2 until God decides I can cease breathing.
Amen, a very helpful post, which leads me to add.-
It was towards the "hypocrites" that Jesus vented most of his wrath. Hypocrisy is the act of saying one thing whilst continuing to do another.
(Let he who is without sin cast the first stone)

The loudest accusations obviously come from the climate change shouty brigade. Therefore it is the shouty brigade who should lead the charge and publicly repent of their own guilt regarding exhaled CO2 in the atmosphere.

ie. It would be entirely appropriate that the repentant shouty people lead by example, let them all stop breathing on an agreed date, maybe Earth Day on 22nd April.
As soon as we see the beginnings of change in the ozone layer, then the rest of the world will enthusiastically join in and the earth will be healed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

apogee

Oct 9, 2004
✟41,941.00
Faith
Christian
Bottom line. We can't destroy God's creation. We can't destroy ourselves. The Bible tells us how this will end. It won't end until God decides. We can't effect God's plan. He built this planet to last until the end.

I understand your perspective, and agree to a point. However, we absolutely do have the power to destroy God’s creation and have been doing so for centuries, possibly millennia. I agree that God has a plan, but we are by no means passive agents in that plan, we are his plan.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Climate change is everyone's problem because it will effect everyone. The scope is so big the solution will have to involve governments agreeing to collectively reduce emissions. It cannot be merely left to individuals to decide, that would be socially irresponsible.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Climate change is everyone's problem because it will effect everyone. The scope is so big the solution will have to involve governments agreeing to collectively reduce emissions. It cannot be merely left to individuals to decide, that would be socially irresponsible.
Climate has been changing back and forth since forever, long before industrialisation could have affected it.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,377.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I understand your perspective, and agree to a point. However, we absolutely do have the power to destroy God’s creation and have been doing so for centuries, possibly millennia. I agree that God has a plan, but we are by no means passive agents in that plan, we are his plan.

I don't think we do have the power. God has the power. We don't. Like I said the Bible tells us how this will end and it won't be by us destroying the planet. It will be by God bringing judgment. If the word if God is true we cannot destroy it because that takes it out of God's hands and puts it into ours. We need to quit being so worried about it.

That's not to say we can't cause problems for ourselves. Take a look at what the dirty polluted water does to people in India or what the air pollution is like in China. But we can't and won't take the place of God in the destruction of this planet.

God built it to last until he decides the end has come. God knew the future and what we were going to do and develope. He built this place to withstand us. We ARE part of God's creation after all.

Upvote 0