Should we be more invested in climate change and the environment as christians?

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Nah, no need, Jesus will come soon and fix it all. Keep pumping out those gasses that will cause human extinction.. I mean, would, if Jesus weren't right around the corner.

Any minute now.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Climate change is everyone's problem because it will effect everyone. The scope is so big the solution will have to involve governments agreeing to collectively reduce emissions. It cannot be merely left to individuals to decide, that would be socially irresponsible.

I think you need to show some proof of the validity of your assertion that letting individuals decide upon their own actions is socially irresponsible. First perhaps you could tell us the difference between your average run of the mill irresponsibility and social irresponsibility. Then explain how forcing people to do what one faction in society desires the rest to do is socially responsible while allowing people to make up their own mind as to whether they should take the actions that the one faction insists upon would be socially irresponsible. I can only assume that your stance would include the idea that people that disagrees with the faction that insists upon everyone taking a course of action they desire are not innately good so individually they would not act in the proper way when clearly shown the best and most benevolent course of action but instead would selfishly allow their fellow humans to suffer needlessly our of spite or some other emotional need. Of course, since governments are nothing more than a collection of humans with coercive power, why would what they chose for everyone not be just as questionable as to motive as the sum of every individual's choice?

I would be curious to know what your thoughts are on the idea that some people that might not see climate change as a problem but rather an opportunity. Either an opportunity to adapt to a new reality and the possibilities such a new reality might afford or an opportunity to insist that all must adjust the current reality to better fit one particular vision of how society should be organized?

Additionally , if it is socially irresponsible to allow people freedom of choice in this instance where is it not socially irresponsible to allow people freedom of choice on any issue and how does one objectively distinguish between when choice is socially responsible and when it is not. Or is freedom of choice never socially responsible and should governments make all decisions?

Upvote 0