Should the government dictate or regulate marriage?

Should the government dictate marriage?

• Yes

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Nuanced (please elaborate below)

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Then it's the same as when an unmarried man dies without a will.

Except you're not dead. You're in the hospital on life support.

Who decides whether or not to pull the plug?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Then it gets to be a toss-up just as it can be today, because there are a number of ways even the wife doesn't get absolute say-so without a living will.

Such as...?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Such as...?

State law about such considerations that take the decision out of her hands (as happened to me in Oklahoma as my mother's next of kin after an accident left her brain dead).

Both persons are critically injured in the same accident and the wife is incapacitated.

Other members of the family simply file an injunction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
State law about such considerations that take the decision out of her hands (as happened to me in Oklahoma as my mother's next of kin after an accident left her brain dead).

Both persons are critically injured in the same accident and the wife is incapacitated.

Other members of the family simply file an injunction.

Five wives means four potential injunctions before we even get to the other members of the family...

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Five wives means four potential injunctions before we even get to the other members of the family...

It is and will be a "problem" in American juripsrudence that every person is due his day in court, however that day is a whole lot shorter when it's shown that the person had made a legal agreement otherwise.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Generally the government should not be deciding on what constitutes a marriage, but the government does need to regulate at some level the relationships between people in the same family. Since marriages form families, the government needs to be able to define families this way.

But I don't see why the government should regulate polygamy or other non-traditional marriages, including gay marriages. If the government were going to enforce Biblical, Christian marriages then that would be a new thing, because they never, to my knowledge, have done such a thing.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Generally the government should not be deciding on what constitutes a marriage, but the government does need to regulate at some level the relationships between people in the same family. Since marriages form families, the government needs to be able to define families this way.

But I don't see why the government should regulate polygamy or other non-traditional marriages, including gay marriages.

Within the context of your post: Because those non-traditional marriages are also forming families...adopting children, having surrogate children, et cetera.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟412,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

But I don't see why the government should regulate polygamy or other non-traditional marriages, including gay marriages. If the government were going to enforce Biblical, Christian marriages then that would be a new thing, because they never, to my knowledge, have done such a thing.
I have trouble understanding how a Government could legislate in relation to Marriage without have made clear the definition of the term. How that definition works in a multicultural pluralist context is of course challenging. It ultimately must either be a fixed and rigid definition of the requirements for a marriage to be a 'legal marriage', or some definition that excluded qualities of relationship that could be considered marriage.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums