Should the apocalyptic language style of the old testament be taken at face value or symbolic?

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,157.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Determining the timeframe of Acts 2 and "the last days" isn't as easy as quoting one scripture.

"But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the 'last' days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:"

The word for 'last' is eschatos and that's the most extreme word for 'last' that Peter could have used. It's the same word used in Revelation 22:13 "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." You say that those 'last days' began somewhere in 33AD and ended in 70AD at which time the outpourig of God's Spirit was the destruction of Temple and Jerusalem. Some outpouring of God's Spirit that is.

The 'last days' timeframe manifest itself where young people prophesy, young men see visions, and old men dream dreams. A time where there are wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

This time is verified by these literal signs and events. 70 AD just doesn't qualify. You would be hardpressed to convince most of us that extreme events like that occured in AD 70.

This TIME is an intense, unmistakable time of extremes in the earth, atmosphere, and celestial realm. They are unmistakable. It's the time Jesus referred to as,

"For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be." And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."

Joel and Peter speak of a time - AN AGE - that began at the cross and ends at the consummation of the church age at the Parousia - the Day of the Lord.
A good post, thanks.
Only for those with a determination to throw the prophesies into the past, thinks that Joel 2:28-32 was fulfilled in Acts 2:16-20. A partial fulfillment, yes; which was not sustained.

We await the great world changer to happen, could be very soon; that will bring on the complete and final fulfilment of all the prophesies.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Firstly, our Heavenly Father usually makes it plain when He is giving us a metaphor, analogy, or parable. He isn't doing that with the Ezekiel 38 thru 47 chapters,

God stated he would speak to the prophets of Israel in visions and dreams. He also states he would not speak to Moses in this way, but would speak to Moses clearly. Thus we see God clearly contrasting the way he spoke to Moses and the way he would speak to prophets.

Numbers 12:6-7 And he said, “Hear my words: If there is a prophet among you, I the LORD make myself known to him in a vision; I speak with him in a dream .Not so with my servant Moses. He is faithful in all my house. With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the LORD.

God makes it clear that Ezekiel 40-48 are visions.

Ezekiel 40:2 In visions of God he brought me to the land of Israel, and set me down on a very high mountain, on which was a structure like a city to the south.

So how do we interpret this vision? Using the New testament.

According to Ezekiel 37 and 43, The Ezekiel temple is where God would dwell with His people forever.

Ezekiel 37:26-27 I will make a covenant of peace with them. It shall be an everlasting covenant with them. And I will set them in their land and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in their midst forevermore. My dwelling place shall be with them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Ezekiel 43:6-7 While the man was standing beside me, I heard one speaking to me out of the temple, and he said to me, “Son of man, this is the place of my throne and the place of the soles of my feet, where I will dwell in the midst of the people of Israel forever. And the house of Israel shall no more defile my holy name, neither they, nor their kings, by their whoring and by the dead bodiesb of their kings at their high places,c

The NT, through Paul, reveals that we are the temple, that spoken of in Ezekiel.

2 corinthians 6:16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Ephesians 2:21-22 n whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God bye the Spirit.

Use the NT to interpret the OT.
Zechariah 14:8 On that day living waters shall flow out from Jerusalem, half of them to the eastern sead and half of them to the western sea. It shall continue in summer as in winter.

John tells us what the coming of living waters is.
John 7:38-39 Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’” Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Additionally, if the requirements of going to earthly Jerusalem and partaking in the feast of booths are to be literally interpreted, it contradicts the NT.
Zechariah 14:16-19 Then everyone who survives of all the nations that have come against Jerusalem shall go up year after year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the Feast of Booths. And if any of the families of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, there will be no rain on them. And if the family of Egypt does not go up and present themselves, then on them there shall be no rain;h there shall be the plague with which the LORD afflicts the nations that do not go up to keep the Feast of Booths. This shall be the punishment to Egypt and the punishment to all the nations that do not go up to keep the Feast of Booths.

For Jesus tells us that it is not a requirement to go up to Jerusalem. And Paul states it is not a requirement to partake in the feast of booths.

John 4:21 Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father.

Colossians 2:16-17 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

So what is the parable of Zechariah 14 pointing to? Jesus and the reality of under the new covenant, the heavenly Jerusalem.

Hebrews 12:22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering

And really, do you need to try and use that Numbers 12 warning to put fear in anyone who interprets Bible prophecy? What are you really here for, if you have such a negative view of Bible prophecy?

Finding fulfillment of OT prophecy in the Coming of Christ and the New covenant is a negative view of Bible prophecy?

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Finding fulfillment of OT prophecy in the Coming of Christ and the New covenant is a negative view of Bible prophecy?

Exact same question crossed my mind when I read that...
What exactly is negative about proclaiming God fulfilled His promises?

Should be a cause for rejoicing!

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing to do with Babylon. Those celestial events never took place when Babylon fell.

So when David Defeated Saul, did these celestial events take place Like David said they did?:

2 Samuel 22
“Then the earth shook and trembled;
The foundations of heaven quaked and were shaken,
Because He was angry.
9 Smoke went up from His nostrils,
And devouring fire from His mouth;
Coals were kindled by it.
10 He bowed the heavens also, and came down
With darkness under His feet.
11 He rode upon a cherub, and flew;
And He was seen upon the wings of the wind.
12 He made darkness canopies around Him,
Dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.
13 From the brightness before Him
Coals of fire were kindled.

14 “The Lord thundered from heaven,
And the Most High uttered His voice.
15 He sent out arrows and scattered them;
Lightning bolts, and He vanquished them.
16 Then the channels of the sea were seen,
The foundations of the world were uncovered,
At the rebuke of the Lord,
At the blast of the breath of His nostrils.

God Sure was a Huffin' and a Puffin' right there wasn't He?... Being Seen Flying around the sky on a Cherub, Shooting arrows, bending the heavens, laying the earth bare to it's foundations, kindling Fire with his Nostril breath... This of course all literally happened, yes?

• Winner
Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

Oberamagau

Feb 21, 2020
Penacook
✟2,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So when David Defeated Saul, did these celestial events take place Like David said they did?:

2 Samuel 22
“Then the earth shook and trembled;
The foundations of heaven quaked and were shaken,
Because He was angry.
9 Smoke went up from His nostrils,
And devouring fire from His mouth;
Coals were kindled by it.
10 He bowed the heavens also, and came down
With darkness under His feet.
11 He rode upon a cherub, and flew;
And He was seen upon the wings of the wind.
12 He made darkness canopies around Him,
Dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.
13 From the brightness before Him
Coals of fire were kindled.

14 “The Lord thundered from heaven,
And the Most High uttered His voice.
15 He sent out arrows and scattered them;
Lightning bolts, and He vanquished them.
16 Then the channels of the sea were seen,
The foundations of the world were uncovered,
At the rebuke of the Lord,
At the blast of the breath of His nostrils.

God Sure was a Huffin' and a Puffin' right there wasn't He?... Being Seen Flying around the sky on a Cherub, Shooting arrows, bending the heavens, laying the earth bare to it's foundations, kindling Fire with his Nostril breath... This of course all literally happened, yes?
You're right - You're livin' in yesterday's tomorrow. Determining whether something is literal or figurative isn't that difficult, but in my experience I've found that it IS for Preterist.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're right - You're livin' in yesterday's tomorrow. Determining whether something is literal or figurative isn't that difficult, but in my experience I've found that it IS for Preterist.

Since it’s not that difficult for you, then by all means Show us the scriptural instruction to interpret OT phrases such as “God rides a Swift cloud” and “was seen by the eyes of all nations” in POLAR OPPOSITE fashion from the NT phrase “He is coming on the clouds and every eye shall see”

I have never found such instruction.
Must be too difficult for me to find.

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
In the case of 'end of the world' language - stars falling from the sky, the moon turning red, etc. - I believe the answer is a definite no.

There is clear precedent in both Scripture, as well as in other Jewish writing, that shows such language functions as a metaphor for socio-political change.

Unfortunately, many of a fundamentalist temperament do not know this and jump to the wrong conclusion.

On a closely related note, I believe the entire rapture doctrine is based on such an error - failing to understand how ancient Hebrew writers used certain expressions. Example: meeting the Lord 'in the air' was used to refer to leaving the walls of a city to greet a returning king in the open air. Such language has been misinterpreted to generate what I believe to be the unBiblical doctrine of a rapture.

Yes, sweeping political and social change.. People of the first century would have understood that immediately. They were living it.

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Joel 2
31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord come.

You claim that turning the moon into blood is an allegory.

Is turning the sun into darkness also an allegory?

You cited Isaiah 30:26, which declares that the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun.

Literally, that is an impossibility.

Allegorically, it is a reality.

Blood moon would be taken as a sign, don't you think?

What Is a Blood Moon? | Space
https://www.space.com/39471-what-is-a-blood-moon.html
Jan 22, 2019 · A "blood moon" happens when Earth's moon is in a total lunar eclipse. While it has no special astronomical significance, the view in the sky is striking as the usually whiteish moon

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Joel 2
31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord come.

You claim that turning the moon into blood is an allegory.

Is turning the sun into darkness also an allegory?

You cited Isaiah 30:26, which declares that the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun.

Literally, that is an impossibility.

Allegorically, it is a reality.

Jan 22, 2019 · A "blood moon" happens when Earth's moon is in a total lunar eclipse. While it has no special astronomical significance, the view in the sky is striking as the usually whiteish moon

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟783,767.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Scripturally, it doesn't qualify unless the moon becomes actual blood (to fulfill Joel 2:31 and Acts 2:20) or as blood (to fulfill Revelation 6:12).

For those who insist that Scripture be interpreted literally, let's be literal.

• Haha
Reactions: summerville
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Scripturally, it doesn't qualify unless the moon becomes actual blood (to fulfill Joel 2:31 and Acts 2:20) or as blood (to fulfill Revelation 6:12).

LOLOL..

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of all. NONE of these celestial signs occurred in AD70.

If your going to be literal about the celestial signs, there was indeed a time when the sun was dark (solar eclipse) and the moon did not give its light (lunar eclipse) after the destruction of the temple in 70ad.

Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days: ‘The sun will be darkened,and the moon will not give its light;

The temple was destroyed around August 30, 70ad.
(Second Temple - Wikipedia)

There was a lunar eclipse on September 9, 70ad
(List of 1st-century lunar eclipses - Wikipedia)

There was a solar eclipse on September 23, 70 ad
(List of solar eclipses in the 1st century - Wikipedia)

• Winner
Reactions: summerville
Upvote 0

Oberamagau

Feb 21, 2020
Penacook
✟2,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If your going to be literal about the celestial signs, there was indeed a time when the sun was dark (solar eclipse) and the moon did not give its light (lunar eclipse) after the destruction of the temple in 70ad.

Matthew 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days: ‘The sun will be darkened,and the moon will not give its light;

The temple was destroyed around August 30, 70ad.
(Second Temple - Wikipedia)

There was a lunar eclipse on September 9, 70ad
(List of 1st-century lunar eclipses - Wikipedia)

There was a solar eclipse on September 23, 70 ad
(List of solar eclipses in the 1st century - Wikipedia)
Yep - that explains it....

Just to show folks the ridiculousness of Preterism - the location of that Solar eclipse is near the Northern Mariana Islands in the Pacific....off the coast of the Philippines.

The lunar eclipse was seen in the South Atlantic off the coast of Brazil.

Literal items are often used in a figurative sense (turn to blood - stars falling from the sky) to describe something that's literally going to happen.

...fall from the sky - no longer visible. Turn to blood - look red. The same thing that causes the blood moon (red) and stars to be no longer visible is what causes the sun as though it's seen like through sackcloth. There's so much junk - particles emitted into the atmosphere that the sun - sunshine is restricted - like looking at it through sackcloth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,157.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

But there IS a literal explanation for how the moon could shine as bright as the sun, Isaiah 30:26 and bright red. [A ball of liquid blood jgr? Lets be a bit sensible!]

As Bible prophecy does tell us that a Coronal Mass Ejection, an explosion of the sun’s surface is what the Lord will use on His Day of wrath, Isaiah 30:26a, Psalms 50:1-2, Malachi 4:1, +, we should know what a CME is and what it can do.
Briefly: On the Appointed Day, Isaiah 10:17, the sun will explode out a huge, earth directed mass of superheated hydrogen plasma. The initial super bright flash and the Electro- Magnetic Pulse will arrive here within 8 minutes, causing armed nuke weapons to explode, Jeremiah 49:35, and all electrical systems will be destroyed. The EMP microwave effect will also cause tectonic plate movement, Deuteronomy 32:22 - severe worldwide earthquakes. Revelation 6:14
The sun will be darkened by being obscured by the approaching mass and the moon will shine bright red from the reflection of the sun being seven times brighter. Also when the moon is struck by that mass of ejecta, it will shine brightly by the thermoluminescent reaction.

24 hours after the explosion, the main mass will strike the earth, directly onto the Middle East, Zephaniah 2:4, wiping out the entire population of all the holy Land, excepting a small remnant in Jerusalem. Isaiah 29:4, Jeremiah 10:18, Psalms 97:3-5, Zephaniah 1:14-18;+
God's perfect solution to the ME crisis!

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep - that explains it....

and just to show folks the ridiculousness of Preterism - the location of that Solar eclipse is near the Northern Mariana Islands in the Pacific.

The lunar eclipse was seen in the South Atlantic off the coast of Brazil.

I never stated they took place over Jerusalem.

But it appears you are now in agreement that there were celestial signs in 70ad, which contradicts your generic statement earlier that there were no celestial signs in 70ad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Oberamagau

Feb 21, 2020
Penacook
✟2,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I never stated they took place over Jerusalem.

But it appears you are now in agreement that there were celestial signs in 70ad, which contradicts your generic statement earlier that there were no celestial signs in 70ad.
Predictable lunar and solar eclipses aren't prophesied - end-time -biblical signs. Who/where did you get that ridiculous lunar and solar information from? Preterist Archives? DeMar? Gentry? Hanegraaff? I doubt it was Sproul.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God stated he would speak to the prophets of Israel in visions and dreams. He also states he would not speak to Moses in this way, but would speak to Moses clearly. Thus we see God clearly contrasting the way he spoke to Moses and the way he would speak to prophets.

Numbers 12:6-7 And he said, “Hear my words: If there is a prophet among you, I the LORD make myself known to him in a vision; I speak with him in a dream .Not so with my servant Moses. He is faithful in all my house. With him I speak mouth to mouth, clearly, and not in riddles, and he beholds the form of the LORD.

God makes it clear that Ezekiel 40-48 are visions.

Ezekiel 40:2 In visions of God he brought me to the land of Israel, and set me down on a very high mountain, on which was a structure like a city to the south.

You seem to be trying to make it sound like God gives a vision as just a saying, having no bearing on future events. No, even with a vision He gave His prophets, it is ALWAYS about an event that is literally happening or will come to pass. The idea of analogy, allegory, parable, etc., are ONLY TOOLS. And they are actually given to make things easier... to understand, not more difficult like most make things.

So how do we interpret this vision? Using the New testament.

According to Ezekiel 37 and 43, The Ezekiel temple is where God would dwell with His people forever.

Ezekiel 37:26-27 I will make a covenant of peace with them. It shall be an everlasting covenant with them. And I will set them in their land and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in their midst forevermore. My dwelling place shall be with them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Ezekiel 43:6-7 While the man was standing beside me, I heard one speaking to me out of the temple, and he said to me, “Son of man, this is the place of my throne and the place of the soles of my feet, where I will dwell in the midst of the people of Israel forever. And the house of Israel shall no more defile my holy name, neither they, nor their kings, by their whoring and by the dead bodiesb of their kings at their high places,c

The NT, through Paul, reveals that we are the temple, that spoken of in Ezekiel.

2 corinthians 6:16 What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, “I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them,
and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Ephesians 2:21-22 n whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God bye the Spirit.

Use the NT to interpret the OT.

But you did NOT do that. You are staying in METAPHORICAL land, spiritualizing a future major event written in God's Truth...

Rev 22:1-2
22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
KJV

Ezek 47:6-12
6 And he said unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen this? Then he brought me, and caused me to return to the brink of the river.
7 Now when I had returned, behold, at the bank of the river were very many trees on the one side and on the other.
8 Then said he unto me, These waters issue out toward the east country, and go down into the desert, and go into the sea: which being brought forth into the sea, the waters shall be healed.
9 And it shall come to pass, that every thing that liveth, which moveth, whithersoever the rivers shall come, shall live: and there shall be a very great multitude of fish, because these waters shall come thither: for they shall be healed; and every thing shall live whither the river cometh.

10 And it shall come to pass, that the fishers shall stand upon it from En-gedi even unto En-eglaim; they shall be a place to spread forth nets; their fish shall be according to their kinds, as the fish of the great sea, exceeding many.
11 But the miry places thereof and the marishes thereof shall not be healed; they shall be given to salt.
12 And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees for meat, whose leaf shall not fade, neither shall the fruit thereof be consumed: it shall bring forth new fruit according to his months, because their waters they issued out of the sanctuary: and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine.

KJV

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Predictable lunar and solar eclipses aren't prophesied - end-time -biblical signs.

I agree that literal solar eclipses and blood moons are not what is being predicted in the olivet discourse.

The apocalyptic language of changes in the sun, moon, and stars is common in OT, and is associated with God's judgment on nations. Thus, the changes in sun, moon, and stars following the destruction of Jerusalem as outlined in the olivet discourse should be interpreted no differently than in the OT.

Judgment against Egypt.

Ezekiel 32:1-2, 7-8 In the twelfth year, on the first day of the twelfth month, the word of the LORD came to me, saying, “Son of man, take up a lament for Pharaoh king of Egypt and say to him
When I extinguish you, I will cover the heavens and darken their stars. I will cover the sun with a cloud, and the moon will not give its light. All the shining lights in the heavens I will darken over you,
and I will bring darkness upon your land

Judgment against Babylon
Isaiah 13:1, 10 This is the burden against Babylon that Isaiah son of Amoz received: For the stars of heaven and their constellations will not give their light. The rising sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light.

Judgment against Israel
Amos 8:2,9 So the LORD said to me, “The end has come for My people Israel; I will no longer spare them.” And in that day, declares the Lord GOD, I will make the sun go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the daytime.

Who/where did you get that ridiculous lunar and solar information from? Preterist Archives? DeMar? Gentry? Hanegraaff? I doubt it was Sproul.

The solar and lunar eclipse data came From Wikipedia, which get's its data from NASA.

Most of all. NONE of these celestial signs occurred in AD70.

You stated, generically, that there were no celestial signs in 70ad. If we are going to be literal about it, then the data from NASA shows this to be incorrect.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to be trying to make it sound like God gives a vision as just a saying, having no bearing on future events.

Incorrect, I'm not saying that all. I am saying that the parables/visions/riddles of the OT prophets are representative of future literal events, just like the parables of Jesus.

No, even with a vision He gave His prophets, it is ALWAYS about an event that is literally happening or will come to pass.

The visions/parables/riddles of the OT prophets are like the parables of Jesus. They are prophetic and are about literal future events, but use symbolic language to prophesy of these future events.

For example, at the end of the age, the men separate the good and bad fish.

Now is this parable prophetic and about a literal future event? YES.

Is this parable literally about fish and nets? NO, the fish and nets are symbolic.

Matthew 13:48 When it was full, the men pulled it ashore. Then they sat down and sorted the good fish into containers, but threw the bad away.

Matthew 13:49-50 So will it be at the end of the age: The angels will come and separate the wicked from the righteous, and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Thus, Ezekiel's vision of a future temple uses the symbols of the old covenant (literal temple building, animal sacrifices, priesthood) to prophesy of a future literal event: the formation of the body of Christ which is the real temple of God, not one made by human hands.

Ephesians 2:21-22 In Him the whole building is fitted together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord. And in Him you too are being built together into a dwelling place for God in His Spirit.

Acts 7:48 However, the Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands.

However, if we use the futurists interpretation that Ezekiel was talking about a literal future earthly temple building, then they should be consistent in interpreting the kingdom of heaven as a literal net catching literal fish.

The idea of analogy, allegory, parable, etc., are ONLY TOOLS. And they are actually given to make things easier... to understand, not more difficult like most make things.

I would disagree.
Matthew 13:13 This is why I speak to them in parables: ‘Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand.

Additionally, Jesus had to open the minds of the disciples to understand OT scripture, thus showing that understanding the visions/parables of the OT prophets cannot be done in simply a straightforward literal rendering.

Luke 24:45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.

But you did NOT do that. You are staying in METAPHORICAL land, spiritualizing a future major event written in God's Truth...

So then to be consistent with your type of interpretation, You then believe being born again literally involves coming out of your mother's womb a 2nd time?

Rev 22:1-2
22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
KJV

Ezek 47:6-12
6 And he said unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen this? Then he brought me, and caused me to return to the brink of the river.
7 Now when I had returned, behold, at the bank of the river were very many trees on the one side and on the other.
8 Then said he unto me, These waters issue out toward the east country, and go down into the desert, and go into the sea: which being brought forth into the sea, the waters shall be healed.
9 And it shall come to pass, that every thing that liveth, which moveth, whithersoever the rivers shall come, shall live: and there shall be a very great multitude of fish, because these waters shall come thither: for they shall be healed; and every thing shall live whither the river cometh.

10 And it shall come to pass, that the fishers shall stand upon it from En-gedi even unto En-eglaim; they shall be a place to spread forth nets; their fish shall be according to their kinds, as the fish of the great sea, exceeding many.
11 But the miry places thereof and the marishes thereof shall not be healed; they shall be given to salt.
12 And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees for meat, whose leaf shall not fade, neither shall the fruit thereof be consumed: it shall bring forth new fruit according to his months, because their waters they issued out of the sanctuary: and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine.

KJV

So then you agree that the Ezekiel temple was pointing to the New Jerusalem, correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,157.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So then you agree that the Ezekiel temple was pointing to the New Jerusalem, correct?
There will be no Temple in the New Jerusalem. Revelation 21:22

Ezekiels Temple will be built before Jesus Returns, as the leader of the nation in all of the holy land, will make sacrifices to God in it. Ezekiel 46:12

Why it is that people here make such fundamental errors in their Biblical beliefs, direct contradictions of plainly stated Bible truths, I wonder what their agender is?

Upvote 0