Should SDA's attend synagogue on Shabbat if early Jewish believers did?

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,360.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We are created to hear God.

We are created to see God in creation.

The only recorded commands given in the garden before the fall were with respect to the tree of knowledge and to be fruitful and multiply and subdue the earth.

There is no record of the ten commandments being given.

The reason was that God was communicating daily with Adam and eve.

And so it is today.

Jesus in us wants to communicate daily and bring insights into what is righteousness in our world.

This is a dynamic word from Him in us that 'The Ten' could never bring.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don’t want to derail this thread so maybe I bow out from our discussion..Always Appreciate your time in sharing your biblical understanding..

That's ok, HARK! already spilled the beans in a post here :)

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For eternal life...okay maybe you can answer your own question then..your view on Grace maybe different from mine that why you don’t see my answer as the correct one...

HARK! already answered in post #206

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HARK! already answered in post #206
2Timothy 1:9,10...This Grace was given us in Christ Jesus Before the Beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Saviour Christ Jesus...

Grace was given Not because of Sin But because of Gods love and mercy...and Gods loved us even before we sinned against Him...(His sovereign choice)

okay thanks

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
2Timothy 1:9,10...This Grace was given us in Christ Jesus Before the Beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Saviour Christ Jesus...

Grace was given Not because of Sin But because of Gods love and mercy...and Gods loved us even before we sinned against Him...(His sovereign choice)

okay thanks

And there would be no NEED for grace if there was no sin...

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are created to hear God.

We are created to see God in creation.

The only recorded commands given in the garden before the fall were with respect to the tree of knowledge and to be fruitful and multiply and subdue the earth.

The reason was that God was communicating daily with Adam and eve.

And so it is today.

Jesus in us wants to communicate daily and bring insights into what is righteousness in our world.

This is a dynamic word from Him in us that 'The Ten' could never bring.

All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Who committed the first sin? Lucifer and the 1/3 of the angels ... in heaven. Yes ... law in heaven as well.

We have a just God. His law shows us His just character. We also have a loving and merciful God .... He sent His son to pay our sin debt. That doesn't do away with the law .... it satisfies (fulfills) the law. We are not condemned by the law as we are covered by the blood of Jesus but that does not in any way do away with the law. We are justified through Him by the life He lived, His sacrifice and His resurrection. This is a free gift that is available to those who choose Him and follow Him.

When we receive Jesus as our Lord and savior ... then ... the process of sanctification happens, His work (through the Holy Spirit) in the believer .... doing what .... helping us to overcome sin. We are sanctified through Him and this is a earth life-long process.

There is nothing wrong with His law .... the wrong is within mankind, we are unable to keep the law without Him.

What is it that defines what righteousness (morally right) is ? His law!

Jesus taught from the OT .... He was the one that gave the written law on Mt. Sinai ... did He then just throw those laws in the trash? No.

It's all about Him and what He did for us (mankind).

The law is still written .... written on our hearts/mind.

Hebrews 8:10
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Above .... is the writing of the law in the heart just for the Jews? No.

Ezekiel 36:26
And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.

Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.

Psalm 119:11
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

The record ... or evidence that people have always known about the law is by their actions .... what is sin? Transgression of the Law. In my previous post were some examples of this .... before Mt. Sinai

Matthew 5

The Fulfillment of the Law

17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

19 So then, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do likewise will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Romans 7

English Standard Version
What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”

Obviously referring back to the decalog.

The 10 are laws of love ... defines how we are to treat one another 5-10 and 1-4 our relationship with the Lord and are summed up in the greatest.

The Greatest Commandment
(Deuteronomy 6:1–19; Mark 12:28–34)

Matthew 22

34And when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they themselves gathered together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested Him with a question:

36“Teacher, which commandment is the greatest in the Law?37 Jesus declared, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38This is the first and greatest commandment. (1 thru 4 of the decalog)

39And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ (5 thru 10 of the decalog)

40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

All the teachings of Jesus are based on the 10 one way or another. He magnified the law ... we are given much much more details about what the law (the 10) encompasses.

Back to the 7th day Sabbath .... like it or not ... it falls under our relationship with the Lord and it wasn't just for the Jews ... again we are to pattern ourselves after Jesus ... He kept the 7th day Sabbath and declares He is Lord of it and that He created it for us and made it holy (set apart) .... set apart from what? From all other days.

He states clearly not one jot or tittle of the law will change until heaven and earth pass away.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We NEED grace whether we sin or Not...

What is grace?

There is a difference between grace and divine grace. Divine grace, which is also known as saving grace, is something the Christian world misunderstands and misinterprets. Turn to 2 Corinthians 12:9 and we read and learn more about divine grace:

"And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. "

According to this verse, grace is the power of Christ. Let's read Hebrews 4:16 together:

"Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

According to this verse, the power of grace is to help us in our moments of weakness and in our struggles with sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We need grace to help us through other struggles in this world that are not directly related to our individual sins.

but we live in a sinful fallen world and we sin..so it is all related. Grace is receiving something we did not and do not deserve.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
but we live in a sinful fallen world and we sin..so it is all related. Grace is receiving something we did not and do not deserve.

I would agree ... we really don't deserve anything ... we have a merciful loving God AMEN!

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What would we need grace for if we did not sin?
To bring eternal life to us...something that we don’t have as mankind Only God has it. Eternal life means you will live forever just like God...No man born with eternal life in them so whether we sinned or Not we cannot live forever unless we have eternal life and Grace brings eternal life..And it’s a Gift

Grace is referring to the “Spirit”...(gives us power, life, teach us to live godly lives etc)

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is grace?

There is a difference between grace and divine grace. Divine grace, which is also known as saving grace, is something the Christian world misunderstands and misinterprets. Turn to 2 Corinthians 12:9 and we read and learn more about divine grace:

"And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. "

According to this verse, grace is the power of Christ. Let's read Hebrews 4:16 together:

"Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

According to this verse, the power of grace is to help us in our moments of weakness and in our struggles with sin.
Grace also teaches us to say No to ungodliness and worldly passion and to live self-control, upright and godly lives in this present age...Titus 2:11,12..
So this reference to the Spirit...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
To bring eternal life to us...something that we don’t have as mankind Only God has it. Eternal life means you will live forever just like God...No man born with eternal life in them so whether we sinned or Not we cannot live forever unless we have eternal life and Grace brings eternal life..And it’s a Gift

Grace is referring to the “Spirit”...(gives us power, life, teach us to live godly lives etc)

Again that is based on sin and the fall.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Synagogue is what we call "Church".

European calendars start on Mondays, making Sunday the "Seventh Day" (I lived there for 14 years).

Have we not lost a few days during the switch from the Julian to Gregorian calendars (ten?)?

Sunday has never been the "seventh day" Sabbbath according to the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Biltong65

Aug 28, 2020
Indiana
✟19,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sunday has never been the "seventh day" Sabbbath according to the scriptures.

Your answer is a mere riddle, and has not addressed any of my points. Are you advocating for a particular day of the week being the Sabbath, or what?

That's what I see most Sabbatarian arguments being about.

OR, are you arguing that we do not, now (properly), "keep" the Sabbath, as it applied to the Jews?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your answer is a mere riddle, and has not addressed any of my points. Are you advocating for a particular day of the week being the Sabbath, or what?

That's what I see most Sabbatarian arguments being about.

OR, are you arguing that we do not, now (properly), "keep" the Sabbath, as it applied to the Jews?

Sure it addressed your point dear friend. Your point was to the EU calendar which was a recent re-shuffle of the numbered days of the week. The 'seventh day' has always been God's Sabbath day according to the scriptures *Exodus 20:10 and that day has been unbroken from the creation and always kept by Jesus and God's people according to the scriptures. In God's time this day has always started from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset *Genesis 1. In the Hebrew or the biblical calendar the days are called day 1 (our sunday), day 2 (our Monday).......... to day 6 or preparation day before Sabbath (day 6) and Sabbath (day 7).

Upvote 0