Should Schools be Required to Teach Evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You're right, so let's try my other option; control (I did say control or eliminate).
Out of curiosity, what would count as controlling it?

You are one of the lucky ones. Meanwhile in many places the system is falling apart.
I won't argue with that (especially because I've never gone to school in the US). Given my "lucky" experiences, I'm merely questioning your conclusion that it must be the women's fault...

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That door swings both ways. Some people think it is an offense to teach evolution and some people think it is an offense to teach what some people call creationism. Lots of people seem to want to play the victim card. I do not know of many people who admit to having done something to offend others.

One is a source of actual scientific research and one deliberately distorts the known science. It is not difficult to determine which is which.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That door swings both ways. Some people think it is an offense to teach evolution and some people think it is an offense to teach what some people call creationism. Lots of people seem to want to play the victim card. I do not know of many people who admit to having done something to offend others.

I don't think the two can be compared. I think damaging or destroying the faith of a 'little one' in Christ is more serious than hurting one's belief in evolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Out of curiosity, what would count as controlling it?

Dealing with it as it occurs. Identify bullies and remove them from the school until they repent. A good start would be to redefine bullying for what it is; assault, theft, or terrorism.
I won't argue with that (especially because I've never gone to school in the US). Given my "lucky" experiences, I'm merely questioning your conclusion that it must be the women's fault...

I'm not faulting women teachers. I just believe that a patriachal school structure is better than the present matriarchal one (on a scale of good, better, best).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think the two can be compared. I think damaging or destroying the faith of a 'little one' in Christ is more serious than hurting one's belief in evolution.

Faith is only destroyed or damaged if it is weak to being with. Evolution is based on observable natural phenomena, therefore it requires no "belief".

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not faulting women teachers. I just believe that a patriachal school structure is better than the present matriarchal one (on a scale of good, better, best).

And who told you men are better at dealing with bullying than women are? One thing I am certain of though, if there were more men teachers there would be many more improper sexual encounters between teachers and high school students.

Gender does not influence how good of a teacher anybody is. But please, prove me wrong if you have data to support otherwise.

Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
One is a source of actual scientific research and one deliberately distorts the known science. It is not difficult to determine which is which.
So you think it is the creationists that will "burn in hell" for offending the children? Just so you know, I am an annilationist. I believe people will suffer for their sin. Karma or what goes around comes around. But in the end I believe all unbelievers will be destroyed. I would rather imagine that you and I agree somewhat on that point.

Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
Let's just assume they are in a public school taking the government approved science classes. Lets also assume they are attending YOUR Sunday school program. Now, what exactly is the problem here? Are you telling them that there is something wrong with what the science teacher is telling them?

I took FOUR (4) Sunday school teacher training classes at the Bible College. Two more classes and I could get a certificate to be a Sunday school superintendent in any church anywhere. No where was I told there is anything wrong with science. In fact we are told to use science as a tool for teaching Bible truths. Like compare cotton to coal as a visual aid or something like that.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So you think it is the creationists that will "burn in hell" for offending the children? Just so you know, I am an annilationist. I believe people will suffer for their sin. Karma or what goes around comes around. But in the end I believe all unbelievers will be destroyed. I would rather imagine that you and I agree somewhat on that point.

I am not commenting about the bible or making and judgement. I am merely pointing out that one group performs actual scientific research and another group does nothing but criticize and deliberately misrepresent that science, doing no original research of their own. How can I be any clearer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
doing no original research of their own.
The question is do they base what they believe on the Bible or on the traditions of man. If anyone is mixed up and confused it is science in their effort to understand the Bible. Far to often I see people with a phd in science that do not even have a third grade level understanding of the Bible.

Upvote 0

RickG

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 1, 2011
Georgia
✟83,873.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The question is do they base what they believe on the Bible or on the traditions of man. If anyone is mixed up and confused it is science in their effort to understand the Bible. Far to often I see people with a phd in science that do not even have a third grade level understanding of the Bible.

You are totally off track of what I am talking about. Make no mistake, I am not talking about the bible. I am talking only about the physical sciences.

• One group, the scientific community, performs "original" research via the scientific method, submits their findings to prominent scientific journals that critically review submissions, and allow only the best scholarship to be published. That work is then subsequently critically reviewed by the greater scientific community when it appears in publication. It is not perfect, but there is no better method that ensures scholarly work.

• Then there is one group that takes those works, picks out specific statements and misrepresent them. It is a rarity that any of those people are qualified scientists, and those that are, do not possess any academic specialty in the fields they critique/criticize. And I have yet to see any original research presented by anyone form this group.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Faith is only destroyed or damaged if it is weak to being with.

That's what 'little ones' means metaphorically; babes in the faith, and vulnerable.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And who told you men are better at dealing with bullying than women are?

I didn't say that. What I said was that men make better father figures than women. ;)

Gender does not influence how good of a teacher anybody is.

I never said that it did. I said that the authority structure of schools should be male dominated just as the authority structure in the home should be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let's just assume they are in a public school taking the government approved science classes. Lets also assume they are attending YOUR Sunday school program. Now, what exactly is the problem here? Are you telling them that there is something wrong with what the science teacher is telling them?

Only if the teacher tries to convince them that the science they are learning is incompatable with their religious beliefs.

I took FOUR (4) Sunday school teacher training classes at the Bible College. Two more classes and I could get a certificate to be a Sunday school superintendent in any church anywhere. No where was I told there is anything wrong with science. In fact we are told to use science as a tool for teaching Bible truths. Like compare cotton to coal as a visual aid or something like that.

The subject was science teachers telling students that there is something wrong with their religious beliefs, not the other way around.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow, that's a great level of misogyny you have there.

According to some I'm also a racist.

Give me a few more subjects to respond to and I'll probably be the Antichrist as well. :D

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't say that. What I said was that men make better father figures than women. ;)

And who told you fathers are better at dealing with bulling than mothers?

I never said that it did. I said that the authority structure of schools should be male dominated just as the authority structure in the home should be.

You should move to Saudi Arabia, very male dominated there, I think you would love it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.