Should Schools be Required to Teach Evolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elendur

Gamer and mathematician
Feb 27, 2012
Sweden - Umeå
✟17,952.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
I never suggested that, but I can't say I'm surprised that you're now lying about me.
I never suggested that, but I can't say I'm surprised that you're now lying about me.
See:
{snip}
In which case, in the spirit of the golden rule: please consider suicide before you go around persecuting everyone else.
It can be interpreted as "Please consider suicide before you go and argue against me".

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
Boy, do you have a short memory:

The thread is called "Should Schools be Required to Teach Evolution?"

Required by who? I assumed this is a political discussion.

You're right in that opinions do differ, which is why limited government is preferable; one size won't fit all without robbing some individuals of their liberty, which is an undesirable outcome unless you are a statist and don't care for them.

In which case, in the spirit of the golden rule: please consider suicide before you go around persecuting everyone else.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Boy, do you have a short memory:

No, I don't.

You apparently have a reading comprehension problem, however.

I never suggested people kill themselves if they "disagree" with me. I see what you did there.

I suggested they think about it if they don't care about the liberty of others and would persecute them.

As per the golden rule: treat others as you would have them treat you.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
See:

It can be interpreted as "Please consider suicide before you go and argue against me".

Only if you {snip} my sentence out of context and then change its words, like you did.

Is that what passes for "interpretation" in your mind?

Good grief.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
No, I don't.

You apparently have a reading comprehension problem, however.

I never suggested people kill themselves if they "disagree" with me. I see what you did there.

I suggested they think about it if they don't care about the liberty of others and would persecute them.

You must have a reading comprehension problem yourself.

People who disagree with you are by definition people who think their should be more than just "minimal" (whatever that would be) government oversight. And those people, according to you, should kill themselves.

Upvote 0

Elendur

Gamer and mathematician
Feb 27, 2012
Sweden - Umeå
✟17,952.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Only if you {snip} my sentence out of context and then change its words, like you did.

Is that what passes for "interpretation" in your mind?

Good grief.
I did not change the words, that would be against the rules and a good example of bad behavior. I did bold some of the text though, I should have pointed that out.

Given that you responded to a specific persons post makes the closing statement look like a personal message (since it wasn't a summary or open ending). Since you obviously wanted a more limited state than him one can easily arrive at the conclusion that you felt that he wanted to limit you, persecute you.
Thus it's easy to interpret your text as an encouragement to suicide.

There's probably more ways to arrive at that conclusion but that one was the easiest for me to explain. Be a tad more careful in what you write, will you?

Upvote 0

Naraoia

Apprentice Biologist
Sep 30, 2007
On edge
Visit site
✟15,998.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The first duty of the educational system is to protect the kids while in their care. Education should only proceed when all dangers, and distractions, have been controlled or eliminated.
Good luck trying to eliminate bullying from schools. Not gonna happen unless you eliminate interaction between kids.

There are also way too many women teachers. Kids need strong father figures who can guide their education with a firmer hand. In fact the whole system needs to be masculinized. :D
Having gone through twenty years of education, I can assure you a penis isn't a requirement for strength or firm hands or ability to command respect.

(But what do I know, right? With this many X chromosomes, I'm probably just that easy to impress.)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good luck trying to eliminate bullying from schools. Not gonna happen unless you eliminate interaction between kids.

You're right, so let's try my other option; control (I did say control or eliminate).

Having gone through twenty years of education, I can assure you a penis isn't a requirement for strength or firm hands or ability to command respect.

You are one of the lucky ones. Meanwhile in many places the system is falling apart.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was born in Mexico and was relatively poor there compared to most people in the U.S.
I am from the Mid West. WE know nothing about Mexicans here because there are very few of them and they pretty much keep to themselves. But I hear stories from the people out West that do know more about them then we do here in this part of the country. I do not have any advise. I will just leave it up to you to figure it all out as best as you can.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Biology should be taught in biology classes. Evolution is the central theory of modern biology. Hense, evolution should be taught in biology classes. That's simple enough... isn't it?

We will have none of your logic here sir!

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

If only Ayn Rand followers actually believed that. Instead, if people don't have enough money to pay doctors then they should die. That is the Libertarian message. Golden Rule my posterior end. It's greed, and nothing else.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
If only Ayn Rand followers actually believed that. Instead, if people don't have enough money to pay doctors then they should die. That is the Libertarian message. Golden Rule my posterior end. It's greed, and nothing else.

Or relevant to this thread, if children are at risk of getting a sub-par education, giving them fewer vocational options to pursue in their future, let them rot.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Nope. Libertarians are not a people based on greed. Incorrect.

More like mountain families in Kentucky who just want to be left alone.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What a pleasant individual and advertisement for the gospel you are.

He actually has a good point. Jesus said that it would be better (for the teacher in this case) if he or she were killed than to somehow sully the belief of little children in him. Not part of the actual gospel but is recorded in three gospel accounts.

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Biology should be taught in biology classes. Evolution is the central theory of modern biology. Hense, evolution should be taught in biology classes. That's simple enough... isn't it?

Bravo well put. And yes, it really is as simple as that.

Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
if people don't have enough money to pay doctors then they should die. That is the Libertarian message. Golden Rule my posterior end. It's greed, and nothing else.
To protect the Practice of Medicine from Government interference the doctors in this country made an agreement to provide medical care for everyone, if they can afford it or not. This really was not a problem because most people pay in this country. Most of the people I know will not go to the doctor if they can not afford to pay. In third world nations they will not treat you if you do not pay. Or if you go to a Government hospital, the doctor may talk to you, but if you want medicine then of course you have to pay.

Upvote 0

Jamin4422

Jul 5, 2012
✟3,349.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
In Relationship
He actually has a good point. Jesus said that it would be better (for the teacher in this case) if he or she were killed than to somehow sully the belief of little children in him. Not part of the actual gospel but is recorded in three gospel accounts.
That door swings both ways. Some people think it is an offense to teach evolution and some people think it is an offense to teach what some people call creationism. Lots of people seem to want to play the victim card. I do not know of many people who admit to having done something to offend others.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.