What should I do with my PC?

• Sell it and buy a school laptop

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Keep it

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Delete games and hope I don't reinstall them

• Just sell gaming laptop and save up for a decent school laptop in the summer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

• Total voters

jtkyber

Nov 5, 2017
Marietta
✟13,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Every since I got into PC gaming, I feel like I've been procrastinating more and have gotten lazier. I often play games instead of doing my homework. I really enjoy PC gaming and have invested lots of money in it, but I feel like it's distracting me from college and God (bible time, etc.) Should I sell my PC, monitor and gaming laptop and buy a good school laptop?

• Reasons to Keep
    • I really enjoy gaming
    • It's basically the only way I can still "hang out" with my friends that are in California (I moved to Georgia)
    • One of my other hobbies is photography and the PC and high resolution/color accurate display is really good for editing
    • Lots of money invested
    • There's not a lot more to do for fun on a rainy day
  • Reasons to Sell
    • Grades suffering
    • Less time spent with God
    • Probably affected my social skills
    • My current laptop is a little heavy and has terrible battery life

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Depends on your goals and whatever other things happen as a result in your life or others around you if you have that computer and not the finances from the sale...them using that money elsewhere
Or you having the money and someone else that computer

Such a case would be reason to pray for a man of faith
What use is one's own thoughts of the world when the results aren't blessed by His will and Word
If a man had something good to work, to have and spread

Reactions: jtkyber
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You're probably going to play games to the extent that you can on the laptop, TBH. You should assemble a daily workflow that allows you to get stuff done. For instance, typing your papers or doing your research in the computer lab.

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Decide what you're actually gonna want to do
Else what if you think ditching the PC will steer your decision...but then you end up craving what you had
What comes first...the cart or the horse...Elisha or oxen...chicken or egg

What are your goals for the coming afterlife?

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Every since I got into PC gaming, I feel like I've been procrastinating more and have gotten lazier. I often play games instead of doing my homework. I really enjoy PC gaming and have invested lots of money in it, but I feel like it's distracting me from college and God (bible time, etc.) Should I sell my PC, monitor and gaming laptop and buy a good school laptop?

• Reasons to Keep
    • I really enjoy gaming
    • It's basically the only way I can still "hang out" with my friends that are in California (I moved to Georgia)
    • One of my other hobbies is photography and the PC and high resolution/color accurate display is really good for editing
    • Lots of money invested
  • Reasons to Sell
    • Grades suffering
I like what @Sketcher said. Not telling you what to do but one idea to ponder is staying on campus and doing your studies in the computer lab and or library until you have done all your reading and practicing whatever you are learning. Then your free time at home is yours to play all the games you want. I do recommend sleeping though. I know those games can go all night.

From what you've said, it seems you may have tried to cut back your gaming and have been unsuccessful so far. That could be an indication of a gaming habit. Not harmful in and of itself until it interferes with your life. I would manage the best I could and tackle the addiction when I felt like I was ready to make a change but that's me, you have to do what's best for you. Just know that addiction no matter what kind is a medical condition and everybody is entitled to help without judgement. I'm not saying you have such an affliction, I'm not an expert, I just wanted to make you aware that help is available should you try to quit gaming and find that you are unable.

Upvote 0

jtkyber

Nov 5, 2017
Marietta
✟13,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I like what @Sketcher said. Not telling you what to do but one idea to ponder is staying on campus and doing your studies in the computer lab and or library until you have done all your reading and practicing whatever you are learning. Then your free time at home is yours to play all the games you want. I do recommend sleeping though. I know those games can go all night.

From what you've said, it seems you may have tried to cut back your gaming and have been unsuccessful so far. That could be an indication of a gaming habit. Not harmful in and of itself until it interferes with your life. I would manage the best I could and tackle the addiction when I felt like I was ready to make a change but that's me, you have to do what's best for you. Just know that addiction no matter what kind is a medical condition and everybody is entitled to help without judgement. I'm not saying you have such an affliction, I'm not an expert, I just wanted to make you aware that help is available should you try to quit gaming and find that you are unable.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll give the computer lab/library thing a try. I'll try to get morning/afternoon classes next semester so I can stay at school longer.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

• Reasons to Keep
    • I really enjoy gaming
    • Lots of money invested
  • Reasons to Sell
    • Grades suffering

I think that your issue is not necessarily with your type of computer, but rather it is time management. If you have poor time management skills with a gaming computer, then you will also have poor time management skills with a laptop. For instance, it would be easy for you to switch to putting games on your laptop or filling it with some other activity rather than focusing on your grades or your relationships with God and other people. So I think it would be better to learn how to improve at managing your time than to sell your computer. We all need to learn to set our priorities and regular time spent in prayer with God is not going to happen unless we make it a priority.

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

• Reasons to Keep
    • I really enjoy gaming
    • Lots of money invested
  • Reasons to Sell
    • Grades suffering

"Whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, takes off your relish for spiritual things, whatever increases the authority of the body over the mind, that thing is sin to you, however innocent it may seem in itself." - Susanna Wesley

Do you know what terrifies the devil? A life that is totally dedicated to God

I am convinced that if we ever get a chance to peek into Satan’s strategy paper, make no mistake about it, he as a strategy on all of us. If we are able to peek into those strategy papers, we are going to find that on top of his list he wants Christians:

• NOT to be discerning spiritually and spiritual truth
  • NOT to apply and obey the word of God
  • FOCUS on their likes and dislike
  • FOCUS on themselves, and NOT on the glory of God
  • NOT serving God by keeping them BUSY doing things, not bad things, maybe good things, but busy NOT staying in the book, the only book (The Holy Bible) that can keep them from sin.
I used to be really into gaming before but now I got rid of it. Even when you think you can manage your time well, the temptation is always there. The Bible says metharphorically that if your eyes causes you to sin, pluck it out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jtkyber

Nov 5, 2017
Marietta
✟13,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Can't you just delete games from your current laptop and use it for school? Perhaps buy a new battery?
Well the reason I want a new laptop isn't because I am gaming on it (I do that on my desktop.) It's because it's heavy, the battery only lasts a couple hours, it's getting kinda slow, and I want one that doesn't look like a "gamer" laptop. I would definitely get a bigger battery if I could. They don't make them though. I've used it for school for about 3 years and it has worked fine, but if I came across a large chunk of money (selling my PC, etc.), I wouldn't hesitate replacing it.

Upvote 0

jtkyber

Nov 5, 2017
Marietta
✟13,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"Whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, takes off your relish for spiritual things, whatever increases the authority of the body over the mind, that thing is sin to you, however innocent it may seem in itself." - Susanna Wesley

Do you know what terrifies the devil? A life that is totally dedicated to God

I am convinced that if we ever get a chance to peek into Satan’s strategy paper, make no mistake about it, he as a strategy on all of us. If we are able to peek into those strategy papers, we are going to find that on top of his list he wants Christians:

• NOT to be discerning spiritually and spiritual truth
  • NOT to apply and obey the word of God
  • FOCUS on their likes and dislike
  • FOCUS on themselves, and NOT on the glory of God
  • NOT serving God by keeping them BUSY doing things, not bad things, maybe good things, but busy NOT staying in the book, the only book (The Holy Bible) that can keep them from sin.
I used to be really into gaming before but now I got rid of it. Even when you think you can manage your time well, the temptation is always there. The Bible says metharphorically that if your eyes causes you to sin, pluck it out.
So you think selling it is the best route? I know it will definitely benefit me, but I am afraid I will really regret it.

Upvote 0

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some things you might not be able to know until it happens
Or if you really commit and inspect...listening and deciding by God's will
You'll encounter influences who consider themselves godly, but what do YOU want

Or you want to hear what's been on your mind from someone else
Or be told what to do. I don't know much about you

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you think selling it is the best route? I know it will definitely benefit me, but I am afraid I will really regret it.

Yes! Even If you do sell it I'm sure you will experience the lurking temptation to go back to an old lifestyle of playing games. Life after graduation can be quite a shock. Like the Israelites in the wilderness, who wanted to go back to Egypt, recent graduates often look back to their student days with nostalgia. When we long for the past we need to be reminded that we live in the presence and not in the past. I found that I have more time since getting rid of Facebook and gaming. I want God to have my full attention, everything else should be second.

Upvote 0

jtkyber

Nov 5, 2017
Marietta
✟13,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Some things you might not be able to know until it happens
Or if you really commit and inspect...listening and deciding by God's will
You'll encounter influences who consider themselves godly, but what do YOU want

Or you want to hear what's been on your mind from someone else
Or be told what to do. I don't know much about you
I just keep going back and forth and need something to tip me to one side. I keep asking God but I can't really make out His answer yet. For example, I put it on eBay a few weeks ago and got an offer (full price) the same night, so I thought that was God letting me know that I was making the right decision. However, the next day it turned out to be a scam, so I thought that was God telling me I didn't have to sell it. Now I'm just confused, lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

christianforumsuser

Oct 28, 2017
Rochester
✟3,445.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you think that's how God works? It sounds a bit shakey guesswork
I hope you come to have true fellowship with Him and not some superstition but clearly based on Jesus's Word the Bible
And I don't mean to sound all preachy...like some old hymn singer...nor like some hip youngster you'd recognize. I don't want to be worldly
Now I could tell you what I would do if I were in such case...but I hope to be able to translate proper advice custom to people and their needs...not just tell you linear things like "oh that's lacking...then add some" because spiritually there's a scale to actions and words that surpass what man tends to think in his traditions

But yes yes, as for this current thing...the computer. I'd suppose having something to replace the pleasure of wasting time gaming (no offense, of course I don't know if there's value for you and others)...or if spending time gaming could have benefit somehow. Of course people want things they can't have, I'd just hope people don't have to be miserable avoiding everything they think is so bad...
I had a job that I made fun even though I had some health problems and no friends, but as long as I kept it up I think I worked pretty good and made a bit of a name until I got depressed and a bit sick.
But see I put that into my job...and maybe a bit of reputation can follow if I didn't blow it.
In this life you might balance relationships, health, finances, and at times have to make a toss into one basket perhaps...You'll have to make decisions for yourself...maybe with some counsel but the consequences come on you depending which side you listen.

Upvote 0

jtkyber

Nov 5, 2017
Marietta
✟13,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes! Even If you do sell it I'm sure you will experience the lurking temptation to go back to an old lifestyle of playing games. Life after graduation can be quite a shock. Like the Israelites in the wilderness, who wanted to go back to Egypt, recent graduates often look back to their student days with nostalgia. When we long for the past we need to be reminded that we live in the presence and not in the past. I found that I have more time since getting rid of Facebook and gaming. I want God to have my full attention, everything else should be second.
Yeah, I definitely feel like I was a different person before getting into gaming a few years ago. I was more active, I was an A/B+ student, I was more involved in things, I lived a more Godly life, I didn't procrastinate, etc. I guess gaming has just made me too "comfortable." I think you may have helped me make up my mind. Maybe I'll relist my PC tonight.

Reactions: Willing-heart
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
@jtkyber one thing to be mindful of is, "where there's a will there's a way." That could work in more than one way for you. If your will is to game, it won't matter if you sell your computer, you will just play games that require less RAM, video cards, monitors, etc. That is why I mentioned talking to someone about the issue. School counselors, and advisors anr very adept at connecting students to resources that will assist with things like time management, money management, habit management, and the like. I believe that if you use the resources available to you, there you might find your solution.

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I definitely feel like I was a different person before getting into gaming a few years ago. I was more active, I was an A/B+ student, I was more involved in things, I lived a more Godly life, I didn't procrastinate, etc. I guess gaming has just made me too "comfortable." I think you may have helped me make up my mind. Maybe I'll relist my PC tonight.

I am all for good education, entertainment, music, art, health, nutrition, etc. These are all wonderful things, but above all else, only what is done for Jesus Christ and His Kingdom will be awaiting me on the other side of eternity.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

• Reasons to Keep
    • I really enjoy gaming
    • Lots of money invested
  • Reasons to Sell
    • Grades suffering
I am late to the party by six years and 13 days, but hey. If you want a laptop that is cheap, but good for school and can still game, Framework is a brand that is modular, and they will release the Framework 16 (16 in. screen diagonal) some time in Q4 (late) 2023. Your current computer is probably older by now. Modular laptops allow you to change the random access memory, solid-state drive, external ports and keyboards to your whim. Don't worry, I don't work for Framework, and currently use somewhat old, overpriced Microsoft Surfacebook 2 which my pops and mom got for me for college back in 2018. Some people have modded their Framework 13 computers, which released in 2021, and made cool devices such as this:

1700367435291.jpeg

Framework Wikipedia: Framework Computer - Wikipedia

Upvote 0