Should I leave my home Church if they believe in Baptism Regeneration ?

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My church believes in baptism regeneration and I believe we get our salvation in Jesus alone but everything else in their doctrine i agree with. Should I leave just for this part in their doctrine
The church, from the beginning, believed in and practiced baptismal regeneration as a teaching she’d received. There was never even a controversy over this until some, in recent centuries, began to interpret the Bible in novel ways, even though Scripture supports BR quite well.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Explain that further.

I'll offer an example:

I grew up in a church that practiced "believer's baptism", and even though I've always believed in Jesus, I didn't receive baptism until I was 17 years old. So by your church's teaching, would they say that if I got hit by a car the day before I was supposed to receive baptism I would have gone to hell?

-CryptoLutheran

Some Restorationist churches teach that baptism is necessary to be saved, for instance, the Church of Christ denomination. They don't necessarily see it in Lutheran/Catholic terms, though

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Some Restorationist churches teach that baptism is necessary to be saved, for instance, the Church of Christ denomination. They don't necessarily see it in Lutheran/Catholic terms, though

That's essentially what I was trying to suss out, whether it was a Baptism as means of grace or Baptism as works view going on.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
That's essentially what I was trying to suss out, whether it was a Baptism as means of grace or Baptism as works view going on.

-CryptoLutheran

Closer to "means of grace", but they don't exactly have a rigorous theology of grace.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My church believes in baptism regeneration and I believe we get our salvation in Jesus alone but everything else in their doctrine i agree with. Should I leave just for this part in their doctrine
I also was in a church that believed in water baptism , went to several different Churches , and one that believed in WATER BAPTISM began to teach DISPENSARIONALISM and than found one of those Churches ,

I do know that at one time there were Acts 9 churches if Florida , in TAMPA and in other towns .

dan p

Upvote 0

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Titus 3:5 KJV. Your church don’t seem to be wrong if they are following the same process for baptism the apostles and disciples followed.

Baptism and regeneration is a part of salvation in Jesus. These are the things required. Just like we must have the Holy Spirit as a sign or seal of our faith in Jesus, Ephesians 1:13 KJV. Without the Holy Spirit we are not in Christ, Romans 8:9 KJV.

When we repent, and are baptized, it’s a washing away of our sins. That begins the regeneration process through the Holy Spirit which we receive by the laying on of hands when we come up out of the water. Acts 2:38 KJV, Acts 22:16 KJV,
Timothy received the Holy Spirit when Paul laid hands on him, 2 Timothy 1:6, “Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.”

There is much more than just saying you believe in Jesus. We must operate in the faith of the gospel of Christ.

Upvote 0