Should I feel bad about myself as a Christian?

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do I pray for others, which I don't often do? I just feel so inadequate as a believer in Christ. There are times when I have doubts that I am even a true Christian. Could this be the reason why? Where do I begin?
Well the best way is to pray what you hope for them. Paul in Colossians 1:9-14 shows what he prayed about the Colossians... If I do not have a specific prayer request for someone but feel I ought to pray, I pray for some of those things.

Hope that helps.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How do I pray for others, which I don't often do? I just feel so inadequate as a believer in Christ. There are times when I have doubts that I am even a true Christian. Could this be the reason why? Where do I begin?

If you saw children playing somewhere, like a park,
regardless in trouble or not in trouble, having fun, or sulking,
and
their
father (a faithful, honest, Godly man) was watchful over them, from a little distance but close enough,

who would know what is good for his children ?

Who are we to ask, therefore, because we don't know ?

• Informative
Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Also, as time goes on you realise more what you ought to pray for. Most of my praying for people is about their relationship with the Lord. If that is right they can endure any circumstances. So I mostly pray that they grow stronger in Him, that they receive His wisdom, feel comforted in Him etc.

EDIT
Infact, when I began I would admit to Him that I didn't know what to pray for that person but that He knew what they needed.

Jesus' prayer is in John 17. Read that too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,161,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Another to add to the good answers above is that also we are also instructed to pray for those who do wrong to us, trespass against us. This is much easier to do when we remember Christ, what He has done for us, look to Him. Matthew 5 NIV (last section)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is spiritual warfare and I've been where you are. This is a tactic that is used against those in Christ so that we do not do what we ought to do (which is pray and grow in relationship to Christ)

However, on another note, God can use this tactic for our good. So that we don't think more highly of ourselves than Christ. We begin to recognize who are are and who Jesus is, Who is our Saviour and we are the sheep that follow His voice. But we have some battling to do and it's an ongoing battle, though not on the same issues as we grow in Christ.
Another thing to know is that Jesus' burden/yoke is light: Matthew 11:28-30

I hope this encourages you! :yellowheart:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ColinJesusboy28

Nov 14, 2013
Aurora Co
✟19,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Lik3, I feel the same way. I hear my devote family members say, "will you pray for me?" Or "I will pray for you." Be patient with yourself if you don't know how to pray.
God knows all of our needs and wants. As you grow in your faith and get stronger as a Christian, your love for your family members and others will grow too! It will be so easy to pray for them.
Don't be discouraged and don't be afraid, the Lord will be with you wherever you go!

Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Here’s the funny thing about prayer, you only get better at it the more you do it….i have had so many inadequate prayers, I’ve done so many bad prayers but they all made me better….more you read the more you prayer,

be kind to yourself…
part of part is revealing the kindness of God too thers, but recognize the kindess of God towards you friend :)

Upvote 0

Haydee

Sep 29, 2018
QLD
✟14,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Pray to God like He's a friend. Tell Him how you feel and what you would like for other people.
This scripture is a good starting point.
Matthew 6:9-13 This, then, is how you should pray: “ ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’

Upvote 0

ColinJesusboy28

Nov 14, 2013
Aurora Co
✟19,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 6:9-13 This, then, is how you should pray: “ ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.’

Well said. That's the prayer Jesus taught the disciples to pray when they asked Him how to pray. And this is something I've done a few times but I should do more. Make that prayer longer. Take each line and say it in different ways.

Reactions: Haydee
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ColinJesusboy28

Nov 14, 2013
Aurora Co
✟19,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In my short .time as a CHRISTIAN my message is don't be a victim .......I'm here to change not to be chsnged
If I blame God or other people for my problems and call myself the victim (which is easy to do but it makes me weep and Nash my teeth) I will become a victim. I think we all kind of need to suck it up and become victors. We can't walk around blaming others and much worse blaming God.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟308,055.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There are times when I have doubts that I am even a true Christian.

No need to doubt yourself if you put the will of God ahead of the will of man. Do you love all neighbours as self or do you follow the will of man, seeking gain at the expense of others, self justifying the evil that you do by re-inventing the definition of good and evil to suit your purposes?

As for the Lord's prayer, the focus is on His Kingdom to come, both as a physical place and Kingdom meaning government by God, not man. Whether you pray the Lord's prayer or pray in general, then pray His Kingdom comes soon to replace the nonsense man comes up with to rule this world when rulership by man isn't even necessary. Turn on the news if you don'r believe me. Pray that people see the difference between the will of man and the will of God and repent of one choosing the will of God over the backwards will of man..

Upvote 0