JACKSONVILLE
✟15,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, it is a letter by an unknown author, possibly Paul, addressed to the Hebrews, I am not a Hebrew. I don't find the letter to be especially applicable to my spiritual walk with Lord Jesus Christ.

However, 10:25 meeting together. I am meeting with Christians here. I also meet with them during voluntary work. I should do what is best for my spiritual life as guided by the Holy Spirit. I would like to find a nice, friendly church but my past experiences have put me off. I enjoy the morning and nightly prayers broadcast from the London Internet Church. It's not fellowship of course.

Edit: Regular church sermons and Bible readings were essential to the illiterate.
EPHESIANS 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. PART OF THE WHOLE ARMOR IS 2 OR MORE GATHERED IN MY NAME

• Friendly
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You dont HAVE to go to church, but t is GOOD to go to Church.

But remember when you go that the Church is made up of imperfect human beings so you wont find the perfection there that some people want. The Bible teaches us not to give up meeting together as some are in the habit of doing.

And as you mentioned above, some people have been hurt in the Church. It is important to find the right one for you where you fit in. Some people like to complain about other denominations to theirs but I am a great believer that God uses denominations to put peolpe in the church that is right for them. And if you go to a church that has a wrong spirit, I think you have 3 options. 1, get offended; 2, try and find one that suits you better and 3, try to be salt and light in that church and hope you can help the people in it improve, even if just a little bit. Personally I would go with 2 most of the time or 3 if there were no other churches I could go to and God gave me the calling and strength for it. 1 is for people who get offended and walk away from the church and the one I wouldn't like to do.

Upvote 0

adfolkate

May 21, 2017
Morristown
✟8,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hunger is part of the human condition....
When our bodies experience physical hunger, we go to the table to satisfy that hunger. And, with reasonable portions of food, we are nourished and can expect the good health of our bodies to follow.
HOW ABOUT SPIRITUAL HUNGER?
If we recognize that humans are more than just flesh and blood bodies, we should realize that hunger of the spirit needs to be nourished too. And so we need to go to the table to satisfy that hunger.
It was that table that Jesus Christ sets for us when He met with His apostles for a meal called the "Last Supper". It was there that He showed us how to satisfy spiritual hunger when He said, "Do this in remembrance of me."
He called us to do it together, on each Sabbath day, and more often when we choose to.
In this way we become whole, or holy, as we unite ourselves with Him in worship.

Upvote 0

Friend-of-Jesus

Jul 21, 2017
Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should I attend church regularly? Why or why not?

Should I attend every Saturday or Sunday? Why or why not?

Are there any disadvantages of NOT going to church? If yes, what are they?

What are the advantages of attending church regularly and becoming a member?

What are the disadvantages of attending church?

Are there any disadvantages of becoming a member of a church?

If yes, what are the disadvantages of becoming a member of a church?

Today, churches are very, very far away from Jesus. Therefore, it's not so good to attend them. It's best to be with the true Jesus and follow Him in all things.

Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,769.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Meeting with other believers regularly to study the Bible, pray, and sing songs of Praise to our God can be very beneficial in helping us grow ... God made us to be in community, and because none of us are perfect being in community knocks our own rough edges off because we end up having to forgive each other and love the unlovable etc which all helps in us becoming more like Christ.

Many places the Bible talks about loving one another, encourage one another, etc... The 'one another' instructions are difficult to put into action without being in community of some kind.

And I say this having had a bad church experience that put me off church for a while but church can be good and help us in our walks with God. But we do need to be as wise as possible when looking for a church .. some are really weird and have wrong teaching but a lot of them are pretty good places. When you find a good bunch of believers it is a real blessing!

It's worth it to find a good group of believers to spend time with regularly... iron sharpens iron.. :)

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If you are a believer then you are part of the Church irrespective of whether you attend meetings or not.

The questions you might then ask are along the lines:
  • What is my relationship to the Head of the Church and am I hearing His voice?
  • What part in the Church does God want me to play?
  • Am I using the gifts I have been given to edify and build the Church?
  • Do I have a relationship with the other parts of the Church that enables me to be an effective part of the Body?
  • Do I seek to interact with the other members of the body daily for my own edification and strength?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the people in a church actually do --

"Love one another"

And

"...welcome me when I was a stranger.."

And believe in Christ risen,

Then there are no disadvantages.

Only advantages.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Before I answer may I ask as to why you're asking this?

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Before I answer may I ask as to why you're asking this?

I am curious.

My intention was to have CF members support their position with Biblical/Scriptural support

• Informative
Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
One does not attend church, nor does one go to church; the scriptures tell us that the church
comes together at particular times for worship and instruction and fellowship.
The church is the people or members of a congregation not the building.

YES. The Lord warns us about forsaking coming together for worship and communion.
Christians chose to meet on Sundays, the first day of the week. To distinguish the Church and the
NT from the legacy of Mosaic traditions and Jewish customs.

Our faith and our walk cannot be sustained nor can we grow as solitary disciples.
Read the epistles they have much to teach you of the benefits and necessity of being in the body
of Christ, the church.
It is where the gifts of the Holy Spirit are distributed (within Pentecostal churches) for the growth in
perfection and maturity as a Christian.

Not attending church meetings for worship, communion and instruction in doctrine sets you apart and
to become more vulnerable to the enticements of Satan.
Predators that follow and work any herd of grazing animals always seek out the stragglers, the weak.

Not attending communion meetings denies one of remembering the sacrifice of Jesus as our Lord and Saviour, our Redeemer. Jesus wants us to partake of a ritual sacrament - holy communion; the body
and blood - to remember and honour what Jesus did for us at Calvary.

Not attending and being involved in Church: is this the sin of pride?
Is too much time and effort given to justifying why I do not need to do the things my Lord wants me
to do? Not praying enough? Not reading the word enough?

Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
2 Every branch in me that bears not fruit he takes away: and every branch that bears fruit, he purges it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine;
no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them,
and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
John 15:

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is no such thing as a place called church.
Look the word up .

Upvote 0

Friend-of-Jesus

Jul 21, 2017
Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What people call "church" today, spits at Jesus violently. This "church" hates Jesus. The true Jesus only speaks from the pages of the Bible, and He is far away from today's so-called "churches". It's abomination to His holy will.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Attending a sunday club is abiding in a sunday club and adherring to its rules and conforming to its preferred doctrines.

That has Nothing to do with abiding in Jesus.
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
2 Every branch in me that bears not fruit he takes away: and every branch that bears fruit, he purges it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine;
no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them,
and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
John 15:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One does not attend church, nor does one go to church; the scriptures tell us that the church
comes together at particular times for worship and instruction and fellowship.
The church is the people or members of a congregation not the building.

YES. The Lord warns us about forsaking coming together for worship and communion.
Christians chose to meet on Sundays, the first day of the week. To distinguish the Church and the
NT from the legacy of Mosaic traditions and Jewish customs.

Our faith and our walk cannot be sustained nor can we grow as solitary disciples.
Read the epistles they have much to teach you of the benefits and necessity of being in the body
of Christ, the church.
It is where the gifts of the Holy Spirit are distributed (within Pentecostal churches) for the growth in
perfection and maturity as a Christian.

Not attending church meetings for worship, communion and instruction in doctrine sets you apart and
to become more vulnerable to the enticements of Satan.
Predators that follow and work any herd of grazing animals always seek out the stragglers, the weak.

Not attending communion meetings denies one of remembering the sacrifice of Jesus as our Lord and Saviour, our Redeemer. Jesus wants us to partake of a ritual sacrament - holy communion; the body
and blood - to remember and honour what Jesus did for us at Calvary.

Not attending and being involved in Church: is this the sin of pride?
Is too much time and effort given to justifying why I do not need to do the things my Lord wants me
to do? Not praying enough? Not reading the word enough?
Just for clarification ..the origin of sunday meeting is far later then the days of the apostles. Some hundreds of years later.
The Roman empireror who supposedly converted to Christianity was formerly a high priest in the worship of the SUNgod.
He never actually denounced that position nor bought forth works of repentance.
He did though instigate worship to be done on the day of the SUN ..
Hence under his rule worshipers gathered on SUNday.
But in contrast, in the book of acts they meet regularly from house to house (sometimes daily) ...such practice did not fall under the pattern of rome`s control and was strongly discouraged .preferring people to gather people into a dependency upon a hireichal leadership of elites over laypeople.

In the book of revelation this was called the doctrine of the nicolatains...and the Lord Jesus said “he HATES that doctrine“.

Upvote 0

Jennifer Rothnie

Jan 10, 2017
Washington
✟45,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Firstly, it helps to keep in mind that we (the collective body of believers in Christ) are the church. While we might call a building a church or refer colloquially to attending such a building as 'going to church' - these aren't accurate representations of what the church really is.

It is better to think of a church building/organized services as a local expression of the church.

To the questions themselves: Scripture says not to neglect meeting with other believers He 10:25), but doesn't mandate any particular location or frequency. The early church met daily - in homes, in the marketplace, at synogogues, at riversides, etc. (Acts 2:42-46, Acts 5:42, Acts 15:26, etc.)

Saturday or Sunday or Tuesday or any other day? It doesn't matter, we can worship God and meet with other believers whenever. Again, the early church met daily.
Are Christians free to worship God any day of the week?

Advantages to 'going to church': regular meeting with other believers, opportunity for service, opportunities for deep Bible study, encouragement and accountability from other believers, opportunity for deep relationships and fellowship, etc.

Membership: All believers are already members of the body of Christ. (Eph 4:25, Rom 12, Col 3:25, 1 Cor 12:20, etc.) If a specific group wants an additional qualification of membership, read over their related documents carefully. Sometimes a church group just wants official membership as a general commitment to service, fellowship, and giving or to confer voting privileges for electing leadership. Other times, the 'membership' may require agreement with a number of extra-biblical non-essential beliefs and be exclusionary towards service or attendance with other local church groups.

• Agree
Reactions: Alithis
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes. It is commanded by God.

Hebrews 10:23-27 ESV Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. (24) And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, (25) not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. (26) For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, (27) but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries.

God does not tell us a specific day, so let the Holy Spirit guide you.

Yes. It is dangerous to not attend church on a regular basis. It is dangerous for the Christian to walk with no accountability, no encouragement, no exhortation, and no ministry to others.

It is biblical and when you follow God in obedience (not to earn salvation, but out of love for God), you will be blessed, encouraged, exhorted and held accountable.

If it is a biblical church, none. There are no disadvantages.

No. See previous answer.

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private