✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Should%2BChristians%2Bwatch.jpg

Should Christians watch R rated moves or MA rated TV? How much TV should we watch? What should Christians look at on our computers, smart phones, and TVs?

My Testimony Regarding Watching TV

As a young married couple we owned a small TV set. This was a quarter century ago. Although the content on TV was nowhere near as graphic and explicit as it is now, as a young man I still found that the pervasive sexy images which filled television had a bad effect on my thought life. So I asked my wonderful wife if it would be ok with her if we threw our TV away. She graciously agreed to this. I was young and enthusiastic. I didn’t want our TV to cause anyone else to stumble. So I opened up the back, cut a key wire, and then threw our TV in the garbage can. We have not owned a television since that day.

Honestly, throwing away our TV was one of the better decisions I have made in life. It was around that same time that the Lord called us to go overseas to share the gospel among unreached people groups. We never regretted not having a TV. Our daughter, Joy, never “missed” not having TV. We did carefully choose and watch children’s videos with her on our computer. Not having TV was good for her and good for us.

TV eventually crept back into my life. It was probably about fifteen years after we threw away our TV set. We began to rent TV shows on something called VCDs (an old version of DVDs which were popular for a time in Indonesia). We never watched anything R rated. But we started to watch more often, and to be honest, the content was not spiritually healthy. Then we moved back to the US in 2010 and discovered that our internet now had enough bandwidth to watch TV shows on our computers. We chose what we watched and stayed away from MA content. I was probably watching 10 to 12 hours of TV content a week. I knew in my heart that watching TV was not helping me spiritually.

Several times I tried to “cut back”. But it didn’t stick. A few months ago, I decided to “go cold turkey”. I’m glad I did! Since then I have felt more spiritual energy, and have seen the Lord open some doors for new ministry opportunities. I pray that I will not backslide!

I am not committed to never watching any TV or movies in any setting. If I’m visiting with someone, I feel free to watch some TV with them if they have it on. Also, I still occasionally rent movies on DVD to watch with Hope. But honestly, I am thankful that God led me to stop watching TV again.

Do I Think All Christians Should Stop Watching All, or Almost All, TV?

No, not necessarily. I think that each believer should seek God’s will based on Biblical principles, an honest evaluation of how TV effects their thought life, and their home situation. While this is an area where different families may make different decisions, my feeling is that most Christians would experience significant spiritual blessing if they watched less TV.

Here are some reasons to consider watching less TV:

1. What you watch DOES influence how you think and what you feel and desire. Why do you think advertisers spend billions of dollar on advertising?

2. TV is full of bad examples. I liked police shows and actions shows and superhero shows. But one thing I noticed is that even the good guys were not good examples. Sure, they were brave and generally good at out-shooting and/or out-kickboxing the bad guys. But in their private lives they were not examples that I would want Joy to follow. They drank alcohol, often to the point of being drunk, to celebrate victories and to deal with frustrations. They slept around. In real life those actions bring painful consequences.

3. Then there is the sexual content. TV is full of immodestly dressed women (and men, too). Even in “PG” rated material, actresses are often shown to be naked, or partly naked, from behind. These actresses are paid to take off their clothes in these scenes, and indirectly we support this by watching the advertisements during these shows. It is an indirect form of prostitution. That may sound harsh, but it is true. And seeing this content causes many people to lust, which is a form of adultery (see Matthew 5:28). In addition, TV promotes many types of sexual immorality.

4. TV massively promotes materialism and greed, which is one of the major idols in American culture.

5. Most TV shows are godless. I don’t mean merely that the content is evil (although, sometimes, it is), I mean that they almost totally leave God out of everything. A serious Christian character is extremely rare. If Christians are shown at all, they are often put in a bad light.

6. TV’s graphic images tend to capture our imaginations and draw our thoughts away from God.

7. Even the news is problematic. Watching the news causes us to focus too much on politics and world events. We usually can do very little to change those things. TV distracts us from serving our neighbors and serving in our local churches and other ministries where our small efforts can actually make a big difference in people’s lives.

This list is not complete. I’m sure you could think of some more bad things about TV. Is there anything good about TV? Sure, a tiny bit here and there. But would you go to a restaurant where most of the time they served you rotten food and often had bugs and dog poop mixed into your meal just because every now and then you found a bite of something that was actually good and healthy on your plate?

Practical Suggestions

I want to close with some practical suggestions.

If you decide to cut back on TV or even go cold turkey, think about positive things you can do in place of TV. Many people watch TV when they are tired. It’s legitimate to have some rest time. Choose something good for your spirit that is relaxing for you and invest in it. Buy some of your favorite style of Christian music or order some good Christian books to read. I am not suggesting that you should try to replace TV with more work when you are already exhausted. Find ways to rest in God and rest with God, but never rest from God. While we shouldn’t usually try to replace watching TV with more work, for some reason that I can’t clearly explain, I have felt like I have more energy since I stopped watching TV again.

For me, going “cold turkey” worked. But the Lord might work in you differently. Here are a list of specific actions the Spirit might lead you to take after reading this (I stopped and prayed for you, if no one actually takes any of these actions then this blog post is pretty much a waste of my time and yours):

1. Some of you already have excellent viewing habits both in terms of what you watch and how much time you spend watching it. You're a good example to the rest of us. Pray for those of us who are weaker in this area than you are.

2. Very likely, some who are reading this are watching inappropriate contentography on your TV and/or computer. I pray that God will help you to stop. You might be able to stop on your own with God’s help. If you try to stop and can’t, get help from other Christians. Do whatever it takes to stop. Act like your spiritual and emotional health depend on it, because they do.

3. Some of you need to stop watching MA and R rated content. With very rare exceptions (The Passion of the Christ and Hacksaw Ridge, for example) MA and R rated material is damaging to your soul and mind. Often, it is a “mild” (by the world’s standards) form of inappropriate contentography.

4. Perhaps you need to reduce how many hours you watch TV.

5. The Holy Spirit is likely going to cause some of you to think of a specific show you should stop watching. Listen to and obey the Spirit’s guidance.

6. Perhaps a few of you will be called to go “cold turkey”, like me. Be encouraged! Getting rid of TV is a lot easier than plucking out your eye!

Should%2BChristians%2Bwatch%2BTV%2B2.jpg

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, stories, and analysis.

This is a lightly modified version of an article which originally appeared on my blog.

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You write exceptionally well. Truth is at the center of your presentations.
Thanks for your encouragement. Encouragement really does help. Especially in discussion forums, which at times can be a bit rough.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,954.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I share the same sentiment. I hardly watch TV anymore. Only 2hrs of movie at night and that's it. I don't watch the news (I occasionally read news in internet), don't watch any TV shows.

There are lots of garbage (false/worldly teachings on TV) that I don't feel like listening to.

Upvote 0

-Hannah-

May 14, 2017
L
✟1,961.00
Country
Portugal
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Every time I read you, I encounter kindness. I'm saving your blog's address.

I don't watch tv since 1995. In the evenings, my Father and I played mastermind. I read more than 1 book per week, biographies of composers, natural sciences books, etc. I wouldn't change this for any tv show. We weren't Christians at the time, my father used to have great ideas.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, I'm happy that's its worked out for you, but I've only once ever felt convicted after watching a movie or TV show. I think that television and things like it are simply a matter of one's conscious and interests.

Upvote 0

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I'm happy that's its worked out for you, but I've only once ever felt convicted after watching a movie or TV show. I think that television and things like it are simply a matter of one's conscious and interests.

TX Matt, thanks for sharing this. I suspect that we have more in common on this than some might guess, although I don't know that for sure. Most Christians probably believe there are some things which are wrong for anyone to watch (inappropriate contentography, which sadly is widely available on TV). Also, most Christians would probably agree that simply owning a TV is like the issue of eating meat which Paul discusses in Romans: it is a matter of conscious and we should not impose our own practices on others. This spectrum can be represented like this:

TV%2Bspectrum.jpg

The above diagram is of course a simplification. Some "R rated" material might be good (imo, very rarely) and some "G rated" might be harmful.

TV is such a massively huge part of our lives, both as individuals and in terms of its effects on our culture. How many other activities outside of working a job and sleeping take up as many hours of the average person's time as TV? (We might have to qualify this by saying "entertainment and news media" since many people now watch media on devices other than TV sets).

Therefore, I feel this is a valuable discussion. I want to hear people's stories. I want to hear how they safeguard themselves and their families, if they do. I want to discuss relevant Biblical principles. I hope such a discussion can be done with grace, where we can disagree on exactly what goes in each category (wrong for everyone, wrong for some, wrong for no one). I don't want to impose my views on others, although it is not wrong to graciously challenge the views of others. Does this make sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If your conscience is bothered by owning or watching television, then don't own or watch television. Seems simple enough to me. This is where liberty and freedom of conscience comes into play. Attempting to moralize on things not commanded or forbidden by God is a dangerous road and we ought not tread down it; but instead confess our freedom in Christ and to seek to abide by our God-given conscience in such areas.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If your conscience is bothered by owning or watching television, then don't own or watch television. Seems simple enough to me. This is where liberty and freedom of conscience comes into play. Attempting to moralize on things not commanded or forbidden by God is a dangerous road and we ought not tread down it; but instead confess our freedom in Christ and to seek to abide by our God-given conscience in such areas.

-CryptoLutheran

What do you mean by "Attempting to moralize"? This is an honest question. I want to understand your concern more clearly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
5. Most TV shows are godless. I don’t mean merely that the content is evil (although, sometimes, it is), I mean that they almost totally leave God out of everything. A serious Christian character is extremely rare. If Christians are shown at all, they are often put in a bad light.

Greetings! Yeah, this right here hits the nail on the head for me. For virtually anything resembling true "Christian" programing, you need to go back to like the early 1960s. Andy Griffith never gets old to me, and I've been watching it all my life, but I still enjoy it because of many of the Christian overtones implicit in the episodes. My wife and I like humor, so we will watch some other more modern stuff together (the eighth seasons of Monk is a good example). That would include a number of comedies on DVD. She also likes watching the Hallmark Channel, which is it goes is good, clean entertainment.

But in general, no, not a ton of TV watching here. The commercials are usually what I find to be the most insulting to my intelligence, and the news is even more so.

Reactions: Mark Corbett
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What do you mean by "Attempting to moralize"? This is an honest question. I want to understand your concern more clearly.

I'm not saying you're doing this, it was a general statement. Moralizing, as I'm using it here, in the most briefest sense refers to the act of taking something and making it a "moral issue". And example we find in the New Testament is where St. Paul refers to food, that there were some who abstained from meat, and some who ate meat; whether or not we eat meat as part of our diet is a personal decision based upon conscience--there is no moral command from God on the subject and so it is entirely inappropriate to try and turn such things into a matter of divine moral law.

Food, drink, clothes, sports and activities, entertainment, etc are all the sorts of things that ultimately boil down to personal conscience. If I, for example, decide that I cannot eat meat any longer because of the cruelty done to animals in the meat industry then it is a matter of personal conscience to abstain from meat; to then take that and then tell other Christians that they can't eat meat either is to engage in moralizing. God has not commanded His Church to abstain from meat, who am I to command my fellow Christians on matters God Himself has been silent?

The same principle applies in many, many other areas of life. What sorts of clothes can I wear? How about playing sports? How about video games, movies, television, books, comics, or music? These are things that come down to conscience. Individual conscience. Where I might come down here or there on such issues ultimately has no bearing on you, because the same things which bother my conscience may not bother yours or vice versa; and again where God has neither commanded nor forbidden we cannot command or forbid. God's commandments, hopefully, shape our conscience and structure it--but ultimately it does come down to individual choice and conscience.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i usually prefer to pick what to watch. by searching for some good show/movie on the internet.
or watching one i know is good by experience.
and then seeing it by connecting the computer to the TV, by HDMI cable.
but to avoid just siting in-front of the television and seeing what's on at the moment.
that is very likely to be bad on one all kind of levels:sick:.
one show i really like is the big bang theory.
this one i actually bough a package of all the serie.

Upvote 0

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not saying you're doing this, it was a general statement. Moralizing, as I'm using it here, in the most briefest sense refers to the act of taking something and making it a "moral issue". . . .
-CryptoLutheran

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this. I'm also against moralizing! Of course, sincere Christians who are against moralizing will occasionally disagree about which issues are addressed as moral issues by Scripture and which are not, so even here we need to show grace to each other, as I feel you have done. Thanks again

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i usually prefer to pick what to watch.

Noam, I agree that intentionally picking what to watch ahead of time is better than just watching whatever Hollywood puts on the tube next. May God continue to guide you as you choose what to watch and what to avoid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

noam burde

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
zikim israel
Visit site
✟57,439.00
Country
Israel
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Noam, I agree that intentionally picking what to watch ahead of time is better than just watching whatever Hollywood puts on the tube next. May God continue to guide you as you choose what to watch and what to avoid.
thanks

Upvote 0

Mark Corbett

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2017
Severn, NC
Visit site
✟172,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most movies/shows are rated R or MA for one of three reasons:
1. Violence
2. Language
3. Nudity

Now, you may not feel this way, but for me there is a significant difference between the violence on the one hand and the nudity and language on the other hand.

The violence is entirely fake. No one is actually stubbed in gut or beheaded or tortured during filming. I'm not saying that means it is healthy to watch it. That depends in part I think on the reason for the violence. Is the director attempting to show the horrors or war or of the crucifixion? Or is he merely trying to entertain through gratuitous violence?

But with language, the actors are really speaking the words. I wouldn't want to speak those lines and I wouldn't want my daughter to. It makes me uncomfortable. And I think the people who listen to this language a lot are a lot more likely to use it without even thinking. Not in every case, but often.

Finally, the nudity. If someone paid my daughter to take off her clothes, be filmed, and then showed it to the world, I would want to bash them with a baseball bat. Now that feeling is not entirely right. It is right for a father to want to defend his daughter and it is right to be angry about evil that hurts other people, but I know that a baseball bat would be a wrong and sinful solution. Especially if she did it voluntarily, which actresses in Hollywood movies do (in some cases it is NOT entirely voluntary in inappropriate contentography). Still, if I feel this way, can I justify watching other men's daughters take off their clothes in R/MA rated material? And their earthly fathers, who may or may not care as I do, are not even the biggest problem. How do you think their Heavenly Father feels about it?

I know this is a difficult topic. I would love to hear more of your thoughts.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I am normally a busy type guy but one weekend I had nothing planned so I turned on the TV set...

1. Turned into Orange County choppers where the Tuttles were basically feuding <click>
2. Watched the news and was absorbed in negativity <click>
3. Some detective show where some guy is trying to find out who is cheating on his wife <click>
4. Some prison documentary where the prisoners are throwing feces on the guards <click>
5. Reality programs where people are airing their dysfunctionality <click><click><click><click>

I went all the way around the world and could not find a thing to watch. I no longer have cable TV.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Discrimination when selecting what we expose ourselves to is always prudent. There was a time I would never have watched a show I just finished (full of over the top violence and nudity) yet recently I have not been provoked by such content. Whether or not it is foolish to watch such content, time will tell and I thank God for helping me whenever I watch a particularly challenging piece of work (the content of the show wasn't what stuck with me but rather the end of the story and theme of it).

I am hesitant to put a universal rule for all Christians into affect when it comes to the media we watch, rather what we should always be trying to do is have a discerning mind when watching, reading or playing the types of stories we expose ourselves to. Sexual content seems to be the major sticking point for some and I respect people who don't want to watch Game of Thrones for that content (I tried listening to the book at one point but gave up at the first really graphic sex scene depicted). That's a shame too because the series seemingly has a lot of elements I would otherwise enjoy. Yet there was another book I listened to which hooked me in the with first book and yet the second book had this entire section dedicated to sensuality. I intend to listen to the third book despite my problems with the themes of the second book.

I also think we do ourselves as Christians a disfavour when we don't expose ourselves to the best stories the secular world has to offer. We end up alienating ourselves from the culture which we should be engaging with and critiquing.

Upvote 0