Should Christians watch Game of Thrones?

GirlonFire89

Oct 8, 2015
Central Virginia
✟7,867.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
starkstag.jpg
Okay so... theres no thread about this that Ive seen yet but if there is feel free to direct me to it...

I started watching Game of Thrones with my husband last year before season 4 came out. He was into it until I believe the first episode of the second season when the royal family made a decree to murder all of King Roberts bastards. My husband said "This is ungodly, killing innocent babies" and has never watched another episode.

In fact he even scoffs me because Im still up to date on the series and I plan to be until it comes to an end. I have a great love for fiction stories and movies and tv series. I have since I was small and its just who I am.

Believe me I dont believe in any way killing children in right by any standards.
But its all fantasy and not REAL life or real life circumstances.

I think he has taken the moral of the episode a little too far and judges me because it didn't prevent me from furthering my attention to the series.

Any comments or thoughts?
Granted there are DOZENS of other reasons to stop watching this show.
But my main question would be, just because something is fantasy and fiction and the opposite of what we know and believe, should stop watching it?

SquigglyDuck

May 6, 2015
USA, Georgia
✟15,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I have discussed this also, but never came to a final answer. To me, I think the decision of whether something is wrong or right to watch is more about how it makes you feel than it is the content. If you are having second-thoughts or feel guilty after watching a certain show, you have to ask yourself why you feel guilty and decide whether or not that show is really worth watching.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I stopped watching it because it was obvious they did whatever they could for ratings "Lets show 20 nude ladies with breasts, butts and genitals (almost) showing every episode!". Its one thing if the nudity is brief and has something to do with the story, I can accept that. But when its thrown in just for shock value then its annoying. I didn't mind the gore or swearing really. But overall I lost interest because of the shock value. I stick to Walking Dead now.

Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I have discussed this also, but never came to a final answer. To me, I think the decision of whether something is wrong or right to watch is more about how it makes you feel than it is the content. If you are having second-thoughts or feel guilty after watching a certain show, you have to ask yourself why you feel guilty and decide whether or not that show is really worth watching.

I'm going to have to respectfully, but strongly disagree with you here. Our feelings and hearts our wicked and sinful and can't be trusted. So, it shouldn't be how we feel about what we're watching, but the content itself. We are talking about a show that can be constantly compared to a soft-core inappropriate contentography movie with the sheer amount of nudity and sexuality. I don't want to come off as Judgmental, and I won't lie and say that I've never watched things I shouldn't, but I gave up on game of thrones a long time ago. I'm surprised that you're comfortable with your husband being subjected to so much nudity. There is going to be lust there, no matter what kind of person he is (it's just natural). Plus, I think we have to consider our testimony with these matters, and finally, could you imagine Jesus watching game of thrones with you? I doubt it. We should all leave game of thrones in the dust, and come away from the immoral things of the world. That includes me as well! I don't want you to feel like I'm putting you down, because I'm not perfect and I struggle with the same things. It's just that with game of thrones it's pretty obvious. You might as well just watch inappropriate contentography instead.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Almost every Christian I know watches and loves Game of Thrones.

Even my parents do. My dad was raised as a very traditional Roman Catholic and sees no problem with it.

And if you're worried about lust, then you shouldn't even go into a grocery store. The magazines near the cash registers are all plastered with women in swim suits. Maybe you should also cancel your internet subscription...

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Almost every Christian I know watches and loves Game of Thrones.

Even my parents do. My dad was raised as a very traditional Roman Catholic and sees no problem with it.

And if you're worried about lust, then you shouldn't even go into a grocery store. The magazines near the cash registers are all plastered with women in swim suits. Maybe you should also cancel your internet subscription...

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here too. So you can honestly tell me that you could watch this show with Jesus?

• Agree
Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Your family isn't the barometer for how things should be judged, because they are human and fallible. The word of God is what we should use to measure the things we do, and it would not agree with a nudity laden game of thrones. The problem is that we like game of thrones MORE than the bible.

• Agree
Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
and there is a difference between being accidentally exposed to things in a super market and WILLINGLY choosing to watch a show were you know there will be extreme nudity. I'm sorry, but it doesn't quite work that way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
and there is a difference between being accidentally exposed to things in a super market and WILLINGLY choosing to watch a show were you know there will be extreme nudity. I'm sorry, but it doesn't quite work that way.

No difference at all. Your argument is about lust itself and not the context of which it originates. Doesn't matter if it's accidental or deliberate, grocery store or a TV show/movie..lust is lust in the eyes of God.

Again, by saying THAT..you can't even chance going to a grocery store or any place with magazines.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I stopped watching it because it was obvious they did whatever they could for ratings "Lets show 20 nude ladies with breasts, butts and genitals (almost) showing every episode!"
That's the only reason I do watch it!! The girls are smoking hot!

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No difference at all. Your argument is about lust itself and not the context of which it originates. Doesn't matter if it's accidental or deliberate, grocery store or a TV show/movie..lust is lust in the eyes of God.

Again, by saying THAT..you can't even chance going to a grocery store or any place with magazines.

You didn't answer my original question. Could you imagine a Holy Son of God enjoying one of these sex filled scenes (including homosexuality)? We love the show more than the bible. That's really the heart of the issue. We would rather do anything possible to justify ourselves and be extreme (like the grocery store comparison) then just come away from what we know is blatantly wrong. If you were going to a grocery store full of people having sex, maybe I could see some kind of point there lol.

• Agree
Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
YOU can enjoy the show, if your comfortable with choosing it over the bible. If you are that comfortable then maybe its time to examine ourselves.

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackKerouac

Uncle Zen-Master
Dec 29, 2005
Kentucky
✟92,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

So you see no distinction between seeing something by chance, without looking for it, that might cause you to lust, and choosing to watch something that you know is going to cause you to struggle with lust? Contrary to what you apparently think, it absolutely does matter whether what you're seeing is accidental or deliberate. I am in no way accountable for what might flash into my view in a grocery store. I am completely accountable for what I choose to watch.

In fact, I find your argument pretty self-defeating. If you acknowledge that lust is lust in the eyes of God, why are you justifying seeking out something that will cause lust? You might want to make sure you're not grossly oversimplifying things and willingly ignoring distinctions in order to justify something.

Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So you see no distinction between seeing something by chance, without looking for it, that might cause you to lust, and choosing to watch something that you know is going to cause you to struggle with lust? Contrary to what you apparently think, it absolutely does matter whether what you're seeing is accidental or deliberate. I am in no way accountable for what might flash into my view in a grocery store. I am completely accountable for what I choose to watch.

In fact, I find your argument pretty self-defeating. If you acknowledge that lust is lust in the eyes of God, why are you justifying seeking out something that will cause lust? You might want to make sure you're not grossly oversimplifying things and willingly ignoring distinctions in order to justify something.

Well said man.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
YOU can enjoy the show, if your comfortable with choosing it over the bible. If you are that comfortable then maybe its time to examine ourselves.

2 Corinthians 13:5
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?

Anybody can enjoy the show. If a show causes YOU to lust, it's NOT the show..it's YOU who allows the show to make you lustful.

And if YOU allow a show to make you lust after someone, then YOU should examine how strong you are as a Christian instead of trying to say to others that THEY can't watch a show because YOU are weak in that area.

That's like saying "Sorry, I don't drink alcohol..so no one else should!"

And may I also remind you how much nudity or lust is mentioned in the OT? Even if it isn't glorified and used as a teaching tool..it's still there. And kids read this stuff.

No, sorry. Just because you are weak in one area doesn't make all Christians weak in that area.

Upvote 0

Murby

Feb 4, 2016
USA
✟4,630.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Why do people have such a problem with lust? What is the big deal?

This is hilarious.. This tv show has murder and mayhem, peoples arms getting chopped off, people being tortured, etc etc.. and you all are worried about lust? ROFLMAO..

Man.. you can't buy the kind of entertainment that takes place in this forum... Truth is always stranger than fiction.

Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Anybody can enjoy the show. If a show causes YOU to lust, it's NOT the show..it's YOU who allows the show to make you lustful.

And if YOU allow a show to make you lust after someone, then YOU should examine how strong you are as a Christian instead of trying to say to others that THEY can't watch a show because YOU are weak in that area.

That's like saying "Sorry, I don't drink alcohol..so no one else should!"

And may I also remind you how much nudity or lust is mentioned in the OT? Even if it isn't glorified and used as a teaching tool..it's still there. And kids read this stuff.

No, sorry. Just because you are weak in one area doesn't make all Christians weak in that area.

Weak argument and you still didn't answer my original question about watching the show with the Holy Son Of God. Nor could you answer the other gentleman's argument.

1 Corinthians 6:18

It says to flee sexual immorality, not to entertain it and pridefully consider yourself able to "withstand" it.

Plus, lust is never positively mentioned in the OT. Your argument is beyond weak, and I can't believe you would use the Holy God breathed inspired word of God to defend this trashy show.

It's ok though, because there is lust in the OT. I guess I'll just go watch inappropriate contentography now. Plus my dad does it! <----See how ridiculous this sounds.

Or I'll just premarital sex (DAVID DID IT!), because it's in the OT! You can do that argument with just about anything and it is still just as weak man.

Plus a "strong" christian would stay as far away from the ungodly stuff as he can.. Not deliberately watch it and "withstand it" and it's not about any one person having a lust problem, it's about having a sin problem in this world. Something that Game of Thrones endorses.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0