United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is not an attempt to make anyone angry or stir up anything. This is a real question that I'm struggling with in my life right now. I just want to start a friendly debate/discussion and I also don't want to include politics in this.

That being said, I'm considering getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It's something that I've thought about for a long time now and it's been back on the front of my mind lately. I would want to train myself so I knew how to use the weapon and when using it, I would never want to kill anyone.

But my question is, is it wrong for a Christian to carry a gun? In Matthew 26:52, Jesus warns Peter that all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Does this mean that we shouldn't arm ourselves? I personally know a few Christians who live firmly by the second amendment and therefore have lots of guns for protection. Does God frown upon this?

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is not an attempt to make anyone angry or stir up anything. This is a real question that I'm struggling with in my life right now. I just want to start a friendly debate/discussion and I also don't want to include politics in this.

That being said, I'm considering getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It's something that I've thought about for a long time now and it's been back on the front of my mind lately. I would want to train myself so I knew how to use the weapon and when using it, I would never want to kill anyone.

But my question is, is it wrong for a Christian to carry a gun? In Matthew 26:52, Jesus warns Peter that all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Does this mean that we shouldn't arm ourselves? I personally know a few Christians who live firmly by the second amendment and therefore have lots of guns for protection. Does God frown upon this?

There is no religious reason to not own a gun. What you do with it may be a problem.

I own several guns but I don't carry any of them around with me. The guns I own are of the "regular" type and I don't consider them to be weapons the way some people do. They're tools that serve a purpose.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Jesus said something like, "Those who take up the gun shall die by the gun."

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There is no religious reason to not own a gun. What you do with it may be a problem.

I own several guns but I don't carry any of them around with me. The guns I own are of the "regular" type and I don't consider them to be weapons the way some people do. They're tools that serve a purpose.
Same.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well its just a tool. Like any tool it only becomes good or bad depending on how you use it. If you had to shoot someone with it out of defense then thats ok. But if you lets say help up someone at gunpoint to steal something, then thats not ok. We own a gun.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm considering getting a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It's something that I've thought about for a long time now and it's been back on the front of my mind lately. I would want to train myself so I knew how to use the weapon

The world we live in requires some people to have guns - I would want them all to be Christians.

When you carry a weapon yourself you have to absolutely know how to use in and when to use it as you suggest. That's not as easy as it might seem. You don't want to pull out your gun and have a bad guy take it away from you and use it on you or someone else. Learning how to properly handle a gun takes serious practice with well-qualified instructors.

Then you need to practice what you've learned on a regular basis.

Walking around with a gun is deadly serious!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

section9+1

Mar 12, 2017
US
✟81,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think living by the sword refers to those who always use the sword to solve their problems. The sword is what they turn to first. I've carried a gun ever since I knew which end the bullet came out of, but I have never used or needed one to solve any conflicts I've had. It's just a tool or device like a hundred others.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,847.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think living by the sword refers to those who always use the sword to solve their problems. The sword is what they turn to first. I've carried a gun ever since I knew which end the bullet came out of, but I have never used or needed one to solve any conflicts I've had. It's just a tool or device like a hundred others.

Then why carry it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,847.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why not carry it? If I am legal and peaceful and mind my manners, what business is it of yours if I carry or not?

This is a thread asking should Christians carry guns is it not?

Why do you need to carry one if you have never needed to use it?

Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a thread asking should Christians carry guns is it not?

Why do you need to carry one if you have never needed to use it?

I see what section9+1 is saying. You can't always predict when you're going to need to use a gun. I could buy one and carry it with me for the rest of my life and never NEED to use it. And it's also difficult to define when you might need to use one. So I'm not all that concerned that they carry one but don't ever use it. Like they said, it's just a tool

Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The world we live in requires some people to have guns - I would want them all to be Christians.

When you carry a weapon yourself you have to absolutely know how to use in and when to use it as you suggest. That's not as easy as it might seem. You don't want to pull out your gun and have a bad guy take it away from you and use it on your or someone else. Learning how to properly handle a gun takes serious practice with well-qualified instructors.

Then you need to practice what you've learned on a regular basis.

Walking around with a gun is deadly serious!

Yes I agree. If I did choose to get one, I would take the necessary steps to use it and carry it responsibly as I think everyone should.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

But my question is, is it wrong for a Christian to carry a gun?

Violent self-defense is an issue about which Christians disagree. On the one hand, we are specifically commanded to love our enemies -- to act for the enemy's well-being -- and it is hard to see how killing or seriously injuring an enemy is consistent with loving them. On the other hand, there are some extreme situations in which it is difficult to see any way to stop a violent attack without using violence in defense -- even though this seems to require setting aside Jesus' words. I don't have a perfect resolution for this dilemma myself.

I encourage anyone who plans to use violence in a self-defense situation to consider:

a) Is it possible to find a nonviolent way to defuse the situation?

b) Is it possible to defend using minor injury or pain to deter, instead of inflicting permanent injury?

c) Is it possible to defend by injuring, instead of killing?

It's a difficult question, balancing love of self (or love of a person in your care) with love of the enemy. Guns are an especially difficult element, because they inflict such a tremendous amount of injury so quickly; it's hard to see them as a way to carry out option (b) above.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Violent self-defense is an issue about which Christians disagree. On the one hand, we are specifically commanded to love our enemies -- to act for the enemy's well-being -- and it is hard to see how killing or seriously injuring an enemy is consistent with loving them. On the other hand, there are some extreme situations in which it is difficult to see any way to stop a violent attack without using violence in defense -- even though this seems to require setting aside Jesus' words. I don't have a perfect resolution for this dilemma myself.

I encourage anyone who plans to use violence in a self-defense situation to consider:

a) Is it possible to find a nonviolent way to defuse the situation?

b) Is it possible to defend using minor injury or pain to deter, instead of inflicting permanent injury?

c) Is it possible to defend by injuring, instead of killing?

It's a difficult question, balancing love of self (or love of a person in your care) with love of the enemy. Guns are an especially difficult element, because they inflict such a tremendous amount of injury so quickly; it's hard to see them as a way to carry out option (b) above.

Yes that's where I'm stuck, too. It's so difficult to decide when the right time to use such a weapon is and if there even IS a right time.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Luke 22:35
"And the man without a sword must sell his coat and buy one."
Hello Step,
Jesus also tells His Apostles to sell their coat to buy a sword. Jesus was not talking about duck hunting. Jesus wills us to protect ourselves.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Matthew 26:52, Jesus warns Peter that all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Does this mean that we shouldn't arm ourselves?
I could do my best to explain what I believe about this scripture but I'd rather give you links to the commentaries of theologians much wiser and learned than me.
Matthew 26 Gill's Exposition
Matthew 26 Clarke's Commentary

These are my two favorites but there are many more on this site, just go to the Commentary drop down menu.

God Bless

Upvote 0