Should a Christian listen to secular music?

Cathgirl

Feb 25, 2013
✟7,813.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I only listen to worship music, for one simple reason. It's the music I like best. I believe you can listen to any music you want as long as it doesn't lead your lifestyle down a destructive path. My personal opinion. I love the uplifting message and feeling I get from singing and listening to worship music (I sing it on a stage in church). It's amazing. :)

Upvote 0

onenarrowdoor

Aug 25, 2013
England
✟15,480.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I listen mostly to secular music.

I've always taught our children to evaluate media choices by asking themselves a series of four questions:

1. Does it pass the Phillipians 4 test?

Is it true? Is it honorable? Is it just? Is it pure? Is it lovely? Is it commendable? Is there any excellence? Is there anything worthy of praise?

2. Does it pass the Galatians 5 test?

Does it exhibit, glorify, or incite the works of the flesh, which are sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, either in thought or in deed?

Or does it exhibit, glorify, or encourage the fruit of the Spirit, which is love, joy, peace, patience,
kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control?

3. Does it pass the 1 Corinthians 8 test?

Even if it's something God grants us the liberty to enjoy or engage in, would our doing it cause a weaker brother or sister in Christ to sin or to stumble in their walk with Christ?

4. Is it an idol to you?

If it's something that failed the three tests above, would you give it up? If so, then what would your attitude be about giving it up? Would you be glad to give it up, knowing it doesn't glorify God, isn't conducive to growth in Christ, and could cause a weaker brother or sister in Christ to sin or stumble in their walk with Christ?

Or would you give it up grudgingly or not give it up at all? If so, then it's an idol.

What an excellent post.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟38,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of Christian rock sucks. I think most of it is just a poor copy of the secular equivalent. There are no Christian bands that are as good as Van Halen, Kiss or Metallica. So why waste your time listening to second best?

In all fairness "as good as KISS" isn't really raising the bar very high.

I was involved in a ministry that did concerts up and down the East Coast, as well as the Creation Festival. I'm really struggling to think of any of the artists we worked with who could hold their own against secular competition.

The only one who comes to mind is Stephen Curtis Chapman. Not my style of music, but he was very good. I remember the big band at that time was Petra and they were just awful.

Julie Miller, who, of course, went on to fame and notoriety as a secular singer and songwriter, really caught a lot of people's attention and she was very good. Meet Julie Miller is one of the few Christian rock albums I enjoyed and, nearly twenty-five years later, still holds up.

I worked with da at Cornerstone. Wasn't such a big da fan, but their previous incarnation as Daniel Amos was very good. Other than Randy Stonehill's Thirst album, that's about all I can think of.

Almost forgot Guardian. The only problem with Guardian is that they were a couple of years behind the trend. But five or six years earlier and they would have fit in well.

Mostly, though, I've found CCM to be made up mostly of artists who were never challenged in any way, who never grew up performing behind chicken wire, who never had to win over a hostile audience, who never had to earn their chops.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,744,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I listen mostly to secular music.

I've always taught our children to evaluate media choices by asking themselves a series of four questions:

1. Does it pass the Phillipians 4 test?

Is it true? Is it honorable? Is it just? Is it pure? Is it lovely? Is it commendable? Is there any excellence? Is there anything worthy of praise?

2. Does it pass the Galatians 5 test?

Does it exhibit, glorify, or incite the works of the flesh, which are sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, either in thought or in deed?

Or does it exhibit, glorify, or encourage the fruit of the Spirit, which is love, joy, peace, patience,
kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control?

3. Does it pass the 1 Corinthians 8 test?

Even if it's something God grants us the liberty to enjoy or engage in, would our doing it cause a weaker brother or sister in Christ to sin or to stumble in their walk with Christ?

4. Is it an idol to you?

If it's something that failed the three tests above, would you give it up? If so, then what would your attitude be about giving it up? Would you be glad to give it up, knowing it doesn't glorify God, isn't conducive to growth in Christ, and could cause a weaker brother or sister in Christ to sin or stumble in their walk with Christ?

Or would you give it up grudgingly or not give it up at all? If so, then it's an idol.

I don't think this can be improved upon. Great wisdom.

Upvote 0
B

believenolies

I grew up listening to John Denver's music. For many years though I stopped listening for a variety of reasons. Then a couple of years ago I started again, and realized how much I'd missed it. I can think of no other artist whose music brings me so much peace and a sense of uplifting. He wasn't perfect, as no one is, but I would rather listen to his music than anyone else that I've heard so far. Just my personal preference.

Upvote 0